Print

Author Topic: The HOPEFUL thread: Be happy here!  (Read 1265612 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5955 on: August 24, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
CLANNAD IS COMING TO STEAM. I'M SO [darn] HYPE NOW.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5956 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »
LIVING THE DREAM
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5957 on: August 26, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »
omg you got an oculus rift!?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5958 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
That last picture destroyed my vision. I want a refund.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Jman

• Score
« Reply #5959 on: August 29, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
You know, I remember playing the Virtual Boy one time.  My next door neighbor had it.  He wound up selling a lot of his video games when he grew up (he's several years older than me), and I wish I would have inquired about more of them.  I did manage to buy Clayfighter 2: Judgement Clay from him, though.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5960 on: August 29, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
I think it would have done fairly well if they'd spent a little more on three colors. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5961 on: August 29, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
In all seriousness, it was already a really expensive system to produce. If they had spent anymore it may have done even worse damage than simply being a failed system.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #5962 on: September 10, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
Today's my birthday, and as of today I've been on this forum for eight years.

That's all, really. I'm just pretty happy. Birthdays are fun.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #5963 on: September 11, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »
Happy birthday! Condolences about the other bit, though.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5964 on: December 29, 2014, 06:11:14 AM »
A dog showed up at my place a little over 6 weeks ago. I'll spare the details about how she's so smart, sweet, quiet, loving, basically perfect, and how much I love her to bits. I named her Lily and hoped nobody would call me about the Found Dog ad I posted on Craigslist.

Here she is, grinning at me the first day she got here, 11/11. I'm sure she looks scary and aggressive... which is why I made sure this was the main picture in the craigslist post. I thought it might deter people who might want to lie about having lost a dog... heh.

She just gave birth. Tonight. To nine healthy puppies. None of them have her patterns, she must have hooked up with a dog with a really dark coat. Her timing for getting here was absolutely perfect. A few hours earlier and I might have been asleep. Any number of days later and... she might not have gotten enough nourishment for the pups. This house is surrounded by orchards and is on a busy 55mph road so she could have gotten lost and died in the cold or gotten hit by a truck. Any number of completely awful things could have happened to her. But it's jackpots all around.

The jackpot for me being, well... she's just such a good dog. Unrealistically. The kind you don't have to make excuses for. She's not aggressive with new people or the other dogs, has never made a mess in the house (besides the little larval dogs just now), very rarely barks even when the others are... she hates cats, but hey, so do I. I'm gonna be moving next year and she would be a perfect city dog. My friend loves dogs and doesn't have one yet, so when his apartment's lease is up we'll find a place that'll let us have a dog like her.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:22:29 AM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5965 on: December 31, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »
What a sweetie.

Any pics of them there pups?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5966 on: December 31, 2014, 05:41:40 AM »

every last one of them has the white tail dip and white feet. There are five boys and four girls. If they inherited Lily's general shape and face they'll all be gorgeous as adults!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5967 on: January 01, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
How many have perfect IVs

She is so precious, and so are the pups! Maybe nobody will respond to the ad, and you can keep her forever.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5968 on: January 01, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »
I took it down after five weeks. I don't think she could have come from a GOOD place... assuming she also wasn't intentionally abandoned. Even though she was immediately friendly with me, my parents, my friends when they visited, and my sister when she came and brought her own dog over Christmas, she showed some signs of having been around people a dog shouldn't trust. She used to be extremely skittish the moment you picked up a spatula or flyswatter. She was also wary of fast or sudden movements, especially involving cupboard doors opening. It took a LOT of coaxing to get her to come into the house at all, as if she were trained with negative reinforcement to never do it. Signs point to somebody being rough with her, at best, and downright abusive at worst. She's gotten over all those things and feels right at home, now.

I can't even imagine who would hurt a dog like this. I don't mean "a dog like this" as in "it would be okay to hurt a different kind of dog or one with worse behavior", I mean that I wonder what the context even was. What reason there could have been. The things that make her such a good dog are parts of her personality. Sure, conditioning can affect personality, but a dog doesn't become affectionate and mellow out of cruel training. She would have to have been that way already--somebody saw fit to hurt this completely sweet dog. The worst thing she's done while here is shown little regard for the difference between the floor and the kitchen table... but I wonder if she'd ever even seen a kitchen table before, with how new and scary the concept of going inside a house was to her. Besides that, she probably wouldn't do it if she'd been physically punished for it, in specific. She's responsive enough to simply being told "no."

It has crossed my mind and made me feel a little dirty for how I handled the initiative to find her "real" home. Maybe five weeks wasn't long enough. Maybe there is, somehow, someone who doesn't know what Craigslist is, and also doesn't have a single friend or family member who does. Maybe no one looking for her has driven past the house and seen her in her favored spot, right in front of the front door. But the world isn't as black and white as Lily's face. There are little grayish speckles like on the side of her body, too. She's happy, I'm happy, we've gotten really attached, her puppies are safe and healthy and have a place to grow up until they're ready to be given to new homes and, with luck, be happy and make other people happy too. I feel good enough about it.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5969 on: January 01, 2015, 11:15:54 PM »
I'm not even a dog person but this is a touching story.  It's great that she found a good home.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print