Print

Author Topic: Re: Yoshi! Yoshi!  (Read 7078 times)

« on: March 29, 2001, 06:57:05 PM »
Yoshi is cool. And thats the way he is. I mean if hes s'posed to be a dino, and we dont know what those sound like (MarioNut#1's time machine would come in handy right now) Then they're just gonna make him make noises. and i suggest you dont make him angry before he STOMPS YOU!
"Timmay!"

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2001, 06:59:12 PM »
Uhhh...I didn't mean to offend him. He's a sweet dino. It's just that he makes those wuss sounds in SSB.
Ah, screw it. Sorry.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2001, 05:54:04 AM »
Yeah, I wish SSB had used the "classic" Yoshi sounds as opposed to Yoshi's Story sounds. I mean, it's a bad enough character as it it... without also sounding like a moron.

Pocket Monster Island - http://fryguy64.tripod.com
Pokémon guides, downloads and info.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2001, 05:30:36 PM »
Yoshi doesn't sound like a "wuss" in Smash Bros.!  Sure, he's one of the worst fighters, but he sounds like Snoopy!  Do NOT talk smack about Snoopy.

:D

-----------------------

"Mama mia!"

=ßïllý ¢hîll¥=
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2001, 06:22:34 PM »
hahaaaaaa! Hes not a bad character in SSB, in fact nobody is, it all depends on how you use em, i mean, you could kick butt with Jigglypuff if you used her right, the only downside to her is that if ya hold your shield and it breaks you instantly die.
"Timmay!"

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2001, 08:52:24 PM »
I hate new yoshi sounds + yoshi story.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2001, 09:23:35 PM »
Awwww :-( buncha Yoshi haters.......

"Come on come on! Come on come on Do the Donkey Kong! (D-d-d-do the donkey kooong) Do the Donkey Kong!" ~ Do The Donkey Kong - Pac Man Fever
"Timmay!"

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2001, 10:45:25 PM »
What? I did not mean that I hated Snoopy! Uhh...some people don't understand...okay, Yoshi's an okay fighter in SSB, but I don't like the sounds he makes in the games! I prefer the usual "Yoshi!" instead of "Hmmmm". Got it?

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2001, 02:29:11 PM »
Hi! This is my first post, and I'm glad that I'm now a member of the Fungi Forums.

I absolutely adore Yoshi. I don't know why, maybe it's just the look.

Anyway, to the topic, I agree that Yoshi in SSB was a little disappointing. I thought "Oh no" when I heard the sounds from Yoshi's Story. I thought it was cute when he does his pose when you select him, though.

As for his voice being annoying, it doesn't really get on my nerves, except for that humming in Yoshi's Story. You'd think he'd find something else to make himself happy. So yes, his voice can get a little annoying.

I just wish that sometime Nintendo can take a look back at how Yoshi actually spoke English in the Mario cartoons, and get a similar sounding voice for him.

As for the nonsense debate about what the Yoshis are singing in Yoshi's Story, here's the bottom line: they are not singing anything English. It's vocalizing, I believe. They're singing different notes, but not any lyrics. And they are NOT singing "I want apples" or anything like that. How hard can that be to figure out?

Just don't ask me why the developers bothered to make Yoshi voices in the first place. They probably bothered due to it being aimed at a younger crowd, but I wonder how many executives couldn't stand the most annoying music in the game. IGN certainly couldn't take it, Nintendo's probably the same.

One more observation: about what sound Yoshi makes when Mario jumps on him. It sounds a lot like "Yoshi." Kind of like how Nintendo made Mario say "Yah!" when he jumps in Mario 64, which sounds similar to the boing sound he used to have. Yoshi is not saying phwee-phoo or anything, it's just a Yoshi sound.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
Beware, long explanation about Nintendo and why they don't help us below:

And don't even think about asking Nintendo about the mysteries of games, like if any radically different Yoshis exist. I've seen many people try it before, and in the magazine, Nintendo always replies with the worst excuses. When it comes to the question of how Shy Guy can hold a racket in his hand when you can clearly see he isn't, Nintendo replied "velcro." Another person actually tried to find out who Morton Sr. is, thinking it was Bowser's father, which is a popular explanation nowadays, and Nintendo replied that they couldn't ask Bowser because he was too busy throwing bombs at them.
How's that for a bad excuse?

Point is, the mysteries of gaming pop up when we don't find the answers in actual games. Since games aren't advanced enough to explain any story (they're usually weak plots anyway), they don't answer our questions. And Nintendo apparently doesn't like making guesses about these, since they only help in giving tips for games. That's what they do, they review and give tips for games.

They also don't take requests for games, and with good reason. Not only do they have a lot of games in development (most of the time this seems false, but with games like Zelda, it rings true sometimes), but just think what would happen if they did take requests.
Think of all the Dragonball Z and horse racing games. This would destroy their position in the console market. Sure, these original games should be able to sell because of being original, but Nintendo, or any other game company for that matter, may not have a good idea of what the game should be like. This explains games like Superman. They tried for something different. They tried not to copy something else (it would have made the game better, but sales would be worse if it was a rip-off). So sometimes original games fail, but they take the chance. If Nintendo were to use a few of the oddball ideas it gets plagued with, their market would crash and burn. No matter what petition or plea you make to it, Nintendo won't listen to you.
They did listen to bring back the overworld theme to Majora's Mask, though, so there's hope.

And who doesn't like Snoopy? I have to admit though, his in-English thought voice in the Charlie Brown cartoon was a little strange.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2001, 07:41:47 PM »
Whoa! That was some intelegent(I can't spell) posting!
Yeah, every character is good in Super Smash Bros., you just have to know how to use them. Personally, I like using Ness, Link, Samus, Kirby, or Captain Falcon.

I've never seen the Mario cartoons(though I have seen commercials of one) or played Yoshi's Story, so I'll take your word for it for what's in those things.

Okay, and unrelated to Yoshi is the stuff about what Nintendo does.

Nintendo just makes games and offers advice on them. They don't have time to develop complicated stories(for most games) when they have to code the games. They also don't have time to explain about why some things are in games, and the people who ask those questions have nothing better to do, really.

The fact that Nintendo doesn't take suggestions from gamers might be a good idea. Some players have bad ideas for games, and I think it would ruin Nintendo myself.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2001, 07:41:50 PM »
Whoa! That was some intelegent(I can't spell) posting!
Yeah, every character is good in Super Smash Bros., you just have to know how to use them. Personally, I like using Ness, Link, Samus, Kirby, or Captain Falcon.

I've never seen the Mario cartoons(though I have seen commercials of one) or played Yoshi's Story, so I'll take your word for it for what's in those things.

Okay, and unrelated to Yoshi is the stuff about what Nintendo does.

Nintendo just makes games and offers advice on them. They don't have time to develop complicated stories(for most games) when they have to code the games. They also don't have time to explain about why some things are in games, and the people who ask those questions have nothing better to do, really.

The fact that Nintendo doesn't take suggestions from gamers might be a good idea. Some players have bad ideas for games, and I think it would ruin Nintendo myself.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2001, 07:44:30 PM »
Great. I did the multiple postings again.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2001, 08:37:08 PM »
Yeah, it looks like I am using my brain more than some other casual people, hehe...

Anyway, just to annoy you, I'll give you a few more words of wisdom (warning, EXTREMELY long).

Evil can be good.

Think about it. What would this planet be like if there was no evil? If nothing bad was happening? We'd all get bored to death, that's what.

In games, having villians is a good enough excuse to be playing it in the first place. If you actually took the story to be real, it would be you (Mario) trying to beat a villian so he wouldn't rule over the land (Bowser ruling over the Mushroom Kingdom).

But if there was no Bowser, and the land began to prosper, you'd soon be seeing the same thing over and over again. Everyone happy. Nothing new popping up.

So in that case, "Down with Bowser!" at TMK's main page may not be a good idea.

Of course, it would be good, since he's always trying to destroy Mario. For some reason, bad guys continue to try to beat the good even although they will be beaten anyway. But whatever sense it is that makes Bowser keep on attacking, it's a good sense. Then again, if Bowser went out of the picture, someone else would take his place anyway.

One phrase in the game Secret of Mana strongly supports this. The land of Mana is disappearing because they don't take what they have for granted, don't worship it, or whatever. The reason why they don't worship it is because of the land being peaceful. Because of this, the main character pulling out the Mana sword, while causing havoc, was just the thing to solve this problem. A ghost even told the main character it was his destiny, and when you get to the end, you'll realize what he meant.

And think about how it is for the bad guys. They're working just as hard as the good guys. In a way, they're of equal power, no matter what Yoda from Star Wars says. Sure, good always prevails, but think what would happen if evil did win. They'd rule the land, but it would be pretty boring if they killed off all good citizens. Kind of like how if you want to be the devil in Black & White, you need to have slaves. From what we see, evil is always trying to kill or torture good guys. It's actually better in their sense to torture them, though.

We don't have to worry about one side ruling over another, though. If the good side wins, there will always be at least one more evil guy to attempt to cause chaos. If the evil side wins, then there will always be someone brave enough to try to beat them. And since we all know the numbers are millions, we won't be ruled by evil anytime soon, nor will be get rid of our planet's troubles with robbers or other psychos.

Bowser tries so hard to get things to go his way, and it always fails. Yet he's smart enough to keep on trying. That's right, he's smart to do so. We have all seemed to grow up liking or hating Bowser. And I turn out to be one of the people that admires Bowser for some reason (probably this reason), so I don't want anyone complaining about my opinion on the matter.

As for just who you should believe on advice like this, you can't really trust anyone. One point or another in your life, taking advice from someone will fail, but you shouldn't blame them. They all have their beliefs, and no belief is wrong over any other. They all have a reason to think about things. So you might as well decide if I'm of any help to you. Some can be trusted for life, some can betray you. So you have to be careful.

Okay, Mr. Einstein has stopped talking. Tell me what you think of the points I've discussed. And see, it was Mario related, in a way.

PS. I hope to see Yoshi in a 3D GameCube environment soon. That would be so cool!
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2001, 09:26:35 AM »
...don't get a big head now. No-one likes a gloater.

Pocket Monster Island - http://fryguy64.tripod.com
Pokémon guides, downloads and info.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

Print