Print

Author Topic: The HOPEFUL thread: Be happy here!  (Read 1267181 times)

« Reply #5430 on: March 27, 2011, 02:07:32 AM »
Weegee: I'm going to go to CSULB. I can't really afford my top college and I'm pretty sure I'll turn out a good nurse wherever I decide to go.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #5431 on: March 27, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »
I'm sure you will. Remember that college is as good as you make it, and I doubt your top college would really be that much better anyway. Good luck!
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5432 on: March 27, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »
My new 3DS is charging as I type this.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #5433 on: March 27, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »
3DS has nogaems... or battery life.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5434 on: March 27, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »
That's what DS games are for.  Games to tide us over, and they use less power.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #5435 on: March 28, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
Just wait until the inevitable 3DS remake, where they change a bumch of features and add/take out things that should have been in the first design.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5436 on: March 29, 2011, 08:33:13 AM »
I really think that making conlangs is a sweet hobby. Here is a sample of my conlang the ceorzani language.

drakia elda, vie ji'latar.

drecha por, vie ji'latar

trice ceyhan eid fajor,

vie ji'latar.

shawot dra, shawot dra,

tingra tei, eid vie ji'latar.

enare sie, iuventia dai,

vie almare, eid vie firoce.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #5437 on: March 29, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »
Weegee: I'm going to go to CSULB. I can't really afford my top college and I'm pretty sure I'll turn out a good nurse wherever I decide to go.

That's Long Beach right?

Please ignore the unbathed hippies that sit outside the LA-5 building, and don't give The Union a second of your time.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #5438 on: March 29, 2011, 10:58:32 PM »
Yep, Long Beach.

I'll keep that all in mind. Any dorm preferences?
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #5439 on: March 30, 2011, 11:19:31 PM »
I don't dorm. Had my own apartment for 3 years now, but if you can get the financial aid for it, dorming's a good option. There's no real difference between the Cerritos and uh...other dorm aside from a different zip code, since they're both located at the north west corner of campus. They have a nice big lounge room though, and there's plenty of sweet food joints surrounding the campus if you get tired of their food.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #5440 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
Guess not. Upon further thought, he's probably saving 2011 to post his 3DS friend code.
Did you see me call that?

« Reply #5441 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
I did, actually. I was looking for that post to point it out but didn't remember where it was.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5442 on: April 05, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »
I got jury duty till early April

And the trial ended today. I was dismissed before deliberation though, so not only did I not get to contribute, I didn't get to watch the other jurors battle it out. But I can talk about the trial now. I'll keeps it short.

There were three defendants, Pinuelas, Trejo and Jimenez, and one victim, Villalobos. Most of the trial was spent establishing that all four were members of the SureƱo gang, how they behave and what they do. And I was really surprised at what I learned about them. They're very formal in their... activities... members have required reading lists and believe themselves the descendants of the Aztecs.

The story is that Pinuelas was the shot-caller of the mesa (Spanish for "table," basically a council of 4-8 elites) of the gang as it was in that prison, and there can only be one mesa. Phone calls from his mother, spoken in code, told him of a rival mesa being formed by Villalobos. Months after, the assault occurred on a recreational yard at noon. It ended before anyone died when officers commanded the entire yard to prone out on the ground, and Trejo and Jimenez were found next to the victim at the scene. Thirteen days after the assault, a written message was found in another inmate's cell that authorized an attack/elimination of Villalobos. The victim's was the only name on it but it most definitely had been written in Pinuelas' distinctive, fancy handwriting. (unrelated fact: the vocabulary was advanced and the spelling was nearly perfect)

What I thought: There was room for doubt. The victim had deep gashes and was probably attacked with a weapon, but no weapon was found. There was a bloody handprint on a bar near a bathroom on the yard and it didn't match Trejo or Jimenez, and at no point after the attack did they have the chance to go there at all. There was a video of the attack caught by a security camera. The video had no sound and was as choppy as a Game & Watch, but you could clearly see something strange. First, the victim was attacked by one person. They stopped, then that assailant left the screen. The victim approached two other people, then the two-on-one between the latter two defendants and the victim began. At one point, they knocked him all down, but in the next frame he got back up and the assailants were backing away from him. I'm no gangster but if I were trying to kill someone with my fists and they fell on the ground, I doubt I would let them get back up. I think the first person probably had a weapon and disposed of it in the toilet.

So in the end it was a trial where the question was, did these three people conspire to kill the victim of that assault? There was no direct evidence that proves Pinuelas talked to Trejo or Jimenez about it, that they ever saw the message authorizing the attack (note: authorizing, not commanding), or that the message was even written before the attack. In fact, one of the details on the authorization claims that Villalobos had displayed "open hostility" in addition to plotting treason...

They were all found guilty.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:20:28 PM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5443 on: April 05, 2011, 05:05:29 PM »
Why were you dismissed?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5444 on: April 05, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »
Juror #13. Alternate. Only there to be kept up on everything and, if need be, replace one of the 12 if they had to go.

But it doesn't make any sense, I think, to dismiss the alts before deliberation. I know what I thought about the case based on the testimonies and the evidence as presented by the witnesses and lawyers but I don't know what the other jurors thought, and if suddenly somebody had to drop out and bring me in, I'd need a complete recap of the deliberation.

I started as #14 though. One of the witnesses recognized the original #13 so she was excused.

So this isn't exactly the proper thread anymore but I posted the original post here and thought it was only natural to follow it up here. On the plus side I still got one more check comin'
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print