Print

Author Topic: Super Metroid  (Read 2310 times)

« on: September 10, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
I've heard the Maridia area in this game is supposed to be the Tourian from the first Metroid game. I never played the first Metroid so I have nothing to compare it to..

Anybody know if that's true?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
Old Tourian is the first area you explore in Super; you can clearly see the remains of Mother Brain's tank and where the Zebetite barriers were.  Maridia is entirely new.  If you want my personal fan theory, the explosion in Metroid 1 shifted around a lot of the environments and caverns in Zebes, accounting for the inconsistencies in the map, as well as new areas like Maridia.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »
And of course, metroid + explosions = really cool awesomeness.

Probably has something to do with the famous escape sequences.
I tell lies! I tell anything BUT the truth! Don't listen to me!

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »
I always digged the little map similarities you could find in Super Metroid. While Maridia was long and confusing and claustrophobic to me, I also loved every moment of it. It just gives off such an alien, oppressive feeling the first time you're in it proper. And it continues to do so as it's not exactly the easiest area to navigate.

I always wondered if parts of Norfair in Super Metroid were similar to Norfair areas in the original game, but never had the time to compare and verify.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
Maridia is simultaneously a great area and an enormous pain in the neck.  Especially the quick-sand areas with the miniature Draygons that shoot crap at you.  One wrong step and you might as well reset and load your game.  Otherwise you can kiss sub-three hours goodbye.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print