Print

Author Topic: Wario Ware DIY  (Read 3759 times)

« on: September 11, 2010, 01:40:44 AM »

I love the WarioWare series, so I'm considering buying this game. Should I? What makes it good, what are some of its flaws, is it innovative, is it easy to pick up and play, etc. The reviews for it are pretty good but I'd like a second opinion.

Show off your own microgames if you want.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:35:16 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:51:21 AM »
Wario Ware D.I.Y. has some good and bad but I'll start with the good:

Good: Fun and addicting like the other WarioWare games. Can design your own games and you can share them via WiFi. Shows Nintendo still has respect for it's 8-Bit games by having Super Mario Bros. stamps, musical instruments, and hell, if you name your game "MARIO PAINT" the graphic editors will play badly rendered versions of the three Mario Paint in-game themes.

Bad: Although you can create your own games, you are given very limited tools for doing so. You won't be getting sample importing from the microphone, many colors to choose from, more predefined instruments, no echo effects, or anything that will help you be creative. Nintendo cuts corners and channels creativity yet again so you might as be creating games with Basic.

Ugly: N/A
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
Considering some of the games I've seen, I'd say people don't need any of that extra stuff you complain about the game not having. Not to mention, it's still about microgames. You don't need a full-fledged editor to make five-second games.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:34:04 AM »
No, but it does channel your creativity immensely.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 12:14:44 PM »
I say get it, but I may be impartial considering I'm a robotics teacher.

Also,  http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=13105.0;all

I finished 1-1 through 2-1 and your post is just the motivation I needed to do more.  Thanks!

But, the restrictions bother me because I want to make a full game or at least a boss level (can be done with a hack), but they don't take away from the games premise. 

I look forward to your creations assuming you are going to get the game.  Amazon has some reviews that may give you a better idea than most gaming sites consider DIY is more of a toy/tool than a game:  http://www.amazon.com/WarioWare-D-I-Y-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0033BJSDI
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 02:16:05 PM »
Thread's name is wrong.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
"Wario Ware: [Go] Do Yourself, Idiot!"
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »

"One of my favourite games, Wario Ware: Do Yourself It is."
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »
I'd have expected those posts to have been made by the exact opposite members.

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 06:49:36 PM »
By "exact opposite", do you mean each other, or do you mean our alternate-universe counterparts, 1dikeltruT and Bizarro-Weegee?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 07:53:29 PM »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
By "exact opposite", do you mean each other, or do you mean our alternate-universe counterparts, 1dikeltruT and Bizarro-Weegee?
The former, but if you're looking for Bizarro-Weegee...

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »
I've actually thought about buying this game.

I say buy it. There will always be video game reviews out there that give any game positive or negative reviews, but in actuality, you have to be the judge. You could be missing out on a great game. Or, you might not be. But it really does look like a good game, and if you've played previous installments, then you'll probably like this one too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:39:57 PM by FlamingBlueMario »
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 11:34:32 PM »
Ack, I just noticed the title error. My bad. I made this thread at like 3 in the morning after all.

EDIT: Fixed. Weegee's and Turtlekid's posts made me laugh.

Also, I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like the majority of you enjoy it to some extent, so I'll probably be buying it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:42:23 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 12:22:46 PM »
I have WarioWare DIY: Showcase, I want the actual DS game soon. :)

Print