Print

Author Topic: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (& Bravely Default) (& Bravely Second)  (Read 16207 times)

« on: January 22, 2012, 02:00:47 AM »
Anyone else have this somewhat overlooked RPG? It's by no means perfect, but it's good enough that I recently bought a (used) second copy. To quote one bad nizzle,

Mind you, it borrows a LOT of themes and gameplay elements from NES-era FF games, especially FFIII. It feels like a remake of a Final Fantasy title that never existed. If you want to experience the game without actually playing it, I highly recommend this LP ("Let's Play") of it. Even if you're not interested in FF:4HoL, Crooked Bee's narration makes for an immensely entertaining read (provided that you're okay with some foul language and the community's general disdain for JRPGs).

Square Enix has announced a very Engrish sequel, but there's a significant chance it will never see a North American release.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:24:03 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:13 PM »
I thought it was worthy of roman numeral, actually. : )
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
It easily is, but doing so would have upset the series' PS3-owning, graphicswhoring fanbase.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:11:31 AM by Weegee »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:53:15 AM »
The opening image of the almost nude young girl with big thighs and an anime face is freaky. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
It'll probably warrant the game an E10+ rating. The Japanese would say the same of a fully-clothed mature woman with a realistic face.

Anyways, I'm currently in the process of maxing out 4HoL's battle counter. 4000 fights down, 6000 to go. Fortunately, the game's Auto Mode setting makes it possible to accumulate wins by applying weight to the D-pad.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »
It easily is, but doing so would have upset the series' PS3-owning, graphicswhoring fanbase.
Yeah, Square Enix would never dare grace a portable system's graphically-inferior series entry with a full-scale roman numeral.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
Fans of FF spinoff series and Dragon Quest are far less averse to that sort of thing.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
I think you're just making [dukar] up.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:34:31 PM »
I'm just going by what I've seen from FF fans on 4chan.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »
Don't FF fans get all whiny when the numbered entries to the series are multiplatform
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:03:38 AM »
Don't FF fans get all whiny when...anything involving FF occurs?
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
A new trailer for Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies in today's Nintendo Direct revealed the characters' English names, Christ-awful voice acting, and more pretty graphics. The game has proven so popular in Japan that it's been re-released with additional content (which we'll get by default), and a sequel has been confirmed for an unknown date.

I challenge you to find a more effeminate male Square Enix character than the dude on the right.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:27:29 PM by Weegee »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
Kuja.

Every male character as rendered by Amano.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »

Wow.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print