Print

Author Topic: New Wii U details - launch date, price, and more!  (Read 39015 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »
Nintendo's North American conference is wrapping up now, so here are the details so far, along with some of the details from their Japanese conference:

-Launches in the US on November 18th
-$300 for the Basic Set, $350 for the Deluxe Set
 -Basic Set includes 8GB system, Game Pad, HDMI cable, Wii U sensor bar, and AC adapters for the system and Game Pad
 -Deluxe Set includes 32GB system and everything else in the Basic Set, plus a Game Pad charging cradle, a Game Pad stand, and a copy of Nintendo Land
-Wii U-branded Wii Remotes and Nunchuks will be available
-(the pro controller wasn't mentioned, but they were using it on-stage, and Japan has a price for it at launch, so we'll definitely get it as well)
-Launch titles currently include Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U
-Nintendo TVii allows video streaming with a bunch of social functionality
-System uses a proprietary disc format, with a disc size of 25GB
-2GB of RAM, with 1GB dedicated for the system and 1GB dedicated for games

They showed some new footage for Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and LEGO City: Undercover, and we also got a few new announcements:

-Bayonetta 2, holy crap
 -Wii U exclusive, being published by Nintendo
-The Wonderful 101 (formerly Project P-100)
-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
 -new Wii U version, along with confirmation of a US release for the 3DS game, and cross-platform functionality
-A bunch of multiplatform Activision stuff
 -some Wii U-exclusive features for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

So, GET HYPE here. Stuff's sounding pretty awesome, but I'll probably wait a little bit to get the system, after what happened with the Wii's launch.

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
The Deluxe package definitely sounds like the better deal for me, especially since I was already planning on getting Nintendo Land. I might pick up NSMBU sometime after launch. The game is looking better and better with each showing (they should have called it New Super Mario World what with all the similarities, plus it probably would have gotten more sales).

So I find it rather interesting that we only know of one game, Smash Bros, that Nintendo is releasing after launch window, and even that won't come for a couple years. I suppose they want to focus on the launch hype, but it's very different from what they've done in the past. Take the 3DS for instance: when it was announced at E3 2010 two of the games they announced and showed trailers for were Paper Mario and Animal Crossing, neither of which have come out yet (and the latter not until 2013).

Edit: here's the new trailer for Nintendo Land:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawZZVrlsSo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawZZVrlsSo</a>
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:44:00 AM by jmdblazer »
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
Nintendo probably wants to keep their announcement-to-release time low to prevent the kind of frustration we see with games like Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

In short: generally speaking, would you rather have a game you're interested in come out a few months after being announced, or a few years later?

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »
That is very true. There are positives and negatives to both approaches, like knowing what's coming so that you know the console you're buying is a worthy investment vs. having to wait a long time for announced games.

Also here's the new NSMBU trailer. Like I said, it's looking very good:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE</a>
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Note that we get the Wii U three weeks before Japan.

Note that the Basic model is white and Deluxe is black.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
Note that our Deluxe model is better than Japan's Premium model, as like the Wii before it, we get a bundled game while they don't.

Note that the Deluxe model also includes a year of a new premium Nintendo service where you get bonus points for making digital purchases.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
What do you mean by "bonus points"? Also,

Because who needs local multiplayer, anyway?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
I see no problem with not being able to buy a second Game Pad at launch if there's nothing that supports a second Game Pad at launch.

Maybe next time you should read the full article instead of just the headline?

As for the bonus points, all that was said is that you'll be able to spend them in the eShop, so presumably it's some sort of cashback system for people subscribed to the service.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »
WTD is WeeGee on about? Even with only one GamePad the Wii U is already the most local multiplayer friendly console ever created.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
Maybe next time you should read the full article instead of just the headline?

Too mainstream.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
The headline alone does contain the important info of that article; that's not the problem.

The problem is WeeGee complaining about the lack of local multiplayer on a console where both of Nintendo's launch titles are 5-player LOCAL ONLY.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
TVii could be pretty big. Apparently, it integrates your Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon accounts, and your TV and DVR, all into one app. You search for a TV show or movie, and it shows you all the ways you have available to watch it -- watch it on Netflix, tune into it on TV right now, set your DVR for the next episode that's airing, whatever.

From what I heard, Nintendo Network Premium gets you back 10% to spend on downloading more games. So if you buy ten games before it's over, then the Deluxe package pays for itself, even if you never play Nintendoland or use the extra 24 gigs or stand the console vertically.

Games are confirmed to be $59.99, by the way.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
Games are confirmed to be $59.99

Annnd I'll be waiting on used games/consoles to start showing up. Not like I had a choice anyway, since I'm not excited about the system..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
I really hope that price is a joke. There seems to not be any reason for that much for a game that would have cost 20 bucks on the Wii T. (see what I did there)

Print