Print

Author Topic: New Wii U details - launch date, price, and more!  (Read 39014 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »
Nintendo's North American conference is wrapping up now, so here are the details so far, along with some of the details from their Japanese conference:

-Launches in the US on November 18th
-$300 for the Basic Set, $350 for the Deluxe Set
 -Basic Set includes 8GB system, Game Pad, HDMI cable, Wii U sensor bar, and AC adapters for the system and Game Pad
 -Deluxe Set includes 32GB system and everything else in the Basic Set, plus a Game Pad charging cradle, a Game Pad stand, and a copy of Nintendo Land
-Wii U-branded Wii Remotes and Nunchuks will be available
-(the pro controller wasn't mentioned, but they were using it on-stage, and Japan has a price for it at launch, so we'll definitely get it as well)
-Launch titles currently include Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U
-Nintendo TVii allows video streaming with a bunch of social functionality
-System uses a proprietary disc format, with a disc size of 25GB
-2GB of RAM, with 1GB dedicated for the system and 1GB dedicated for games

They showed some new footage for Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and LEGO City: Undercover, and we also got a few new announcements:

-Bayonetta 2, holy crap
 -Wii U exclusive, being published by Nintendo
-The Wonderful 101 (formerly Project P-100)
-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
 -new Wii U version, along with confirmation of a US release for the 3DS game, and cross-platform functionality
-A bunch of multiplatform Activision stuff
 -some Wii U-exclusive features for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

So, GET HYPE here. Stuff's sounding pretty awesome, but I'll probably wait a little bit to get the system, after what happened with the Wii's launch.

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
The Deluxe package definitely sounds like the better deal for me, especially since I was already planning on getting Nintendo Land. I might pick up NSMBU sometime after launch. The game is looking better and better with each showing (they should have called it New Super Mario World what with all the similarities, plus it probably would have gotten more sales).

So I find it rather interesting that we only know of one game, Smash Bros, that Nintendo is releasing after launch window, and even that won't come for a couple years. I suppose they want to focus on the launch hype, but it's very different from what they've done in the past. Take the 3DS for instance: when it was announced at E3 2010 two of the games they announced and showed trailers for were Paper Mario and Animal Crossing, neither of which have come out yet (and the latter not until 2013).

Edit: here's the new trailer for Nintendo Land:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawZZVrlsSo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawZZVrlsSo</a>
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:44:00 AM by jmdblazer »
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
Nintendo probably wants to keep their announcement-to-release time low to prevent the kind of frustration we see with games like Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

In short: generally speaking, would you rather have a game you're interested in come out a few months after being announced, or a few years later?

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »
That is very true. There are positives and negatives to both approaches, like knowing what's coming so that you know the console you're buying is a worthy investment vs. having to wait a long time for announced games.

Also here's the new NSMBU trailer. Like I said, it's looking very good:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE</a>
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Note that we get the Wii U three weeks before Japan.

Note that the Basic model is white and Deluxe is black.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
Note that our Deluxe model is better than Japan's Premium model, as like the Wii before it, we get a bundled game while they don't.

Note that the Deluxe model also includes a year of a new premium Nintendo service where you get bonus points for making digital purchases.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
What do you mean by "bonus points"? Also,

Because who needs local multiplayer, anyway?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
I see no problem with not being able to buy a second Game Pad at launch if there's nothing that supports a second Game Pad at launch.

Maybe next time you should read the full article instead of just the headline?

As for the bonus points, all that was said is that you'll be able to spend them in the eShop, so presumably it's some sort of cashback system for people subscribed to the service.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »
WTD is WeeGee on about? Even with only one GamePad the Wii U is already the most local multiplayer friendly console ever created.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
Maybe next time you should read the full article instead of just the headline?

Too mainstream.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
The headline alone does contain the important info of that article; that's not the problem.

The problem is WeeGee complaining about the lack of local multiplayer on a console where both of Nintendo's launch titles are 5-player LOCAL ONLY.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
TVii could be pretty big. Apparently, it integrates your Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon accounts, and your TV and DVR, all into one app. You search for a TV show or movie, and it shows you all the ways you have available to watch it -- watch it on Netflix, tune into it on TV right now, set your DVR for the next episode that's airing, whatever.

From what I heard, Nintendo Network Premium gets you back 10% to spend on downloading more games. So if you buy ten games before it's over, then the Deluxe package pays for itself, even if you never play Nintendoland or use the extra 24 gigs or stand the console vertically.

Games are confirmed to be $59.99, by the way.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
Games are confirmed to be $59.99

Annnd I'll be waiting on used games/consoles to start showing up. Not like I had a choice anyway, since I'm not excited about the system..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
I really hope that price is a joke. There seems to not be any reason for that much for a game that would have cost 20 bucks on the Wii T. (see what I did there)

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »
Well logically accounting for inflation, it's not much more than $50 was worth in 2006 (and actually less than when the gamecube launched; $50 in 2001 is worth $64.68 now), but who uses logic when it comes to complaints about video game announcements? Yeah I'm not too happy with it regardless, but I'll just deal with it.

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
I'm slightly disappointed with game prices, but there's only one launch game I'll be buying anyway. I'll be going after the Deluxe version as well, so that sounds like fun. I wonder how much I'll be using the Game Pad VS the Wii Remote.

Simply because it's new, I imagine I'll be trying out the GP for a while after my initial purchase.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
That means they'll cost $70 here. Ouch.

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 01:44:36 PM »

Source

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »

Source
Thanks for the source because of the censor. It was suprising to see that the Wii U actually costs less than an Atari 2600 adjusted for inflation.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
Hahahahahahahha the NES was the most expensive Nintendo home console ever hahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaa

I don't mean that in any malicious way, I just think it's hilarious and unbelievable
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 01:26:09 AM »
I'm 25 and my parents still buy me Christmas presents, so I know what I'm asking for!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
Wii U's browser looks much more versatile than I thought: 

Quote from: D-e-f-;42268300
How can you know that now? If it runs really well and loads fast (which the extra RAM may finally enable them to do?!) then why not call up the browser on the tab to post a stupid screenshot of Link destroying all the furniture in Zelda's bedroom on GAF, for example?

Btw I went ahead and screencapped Iwata's browser presentation:

Ret's have a rook ...

two-screen browsing

browser-tabs in action!

browse only on the gamepad

video on both screens

video on the TV and browse on the pad

browser has curtains!

for such awesome secrets like...

BANANAIWATA

Motionscrolling! Wooo (?)

Take screenshots from your Wii U games with this fancy button.

That's the end result.

Nintendo TVii also looks useful: 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnY-wpMbIv0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnY-wpMbIv0</a>
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:55:10 PM by BriGuy92 »
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »
Missed the boat on GameStop pre-orders. I'm set up so they call me when they get extras, but if anyone has alternatives (for guaranteed purchases), I'm listening.

Super excited, but not quite so much for the mad-dash release date that coincides with the holidays. Still, congrats to Nintendo; looks like they've got plenty of sales in the bag.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 07:38:22 AM »
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 02:10:03 AM »
Calling someone on Wii U Chat is a seriously surreal experience. You sit there staring into your own face while listening to insane carnival music and praying the party you're calling notices the subtle flashing of their GamePad's home button light. They probably won't. They're probably not even using a GamePad.

The music plays on.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
I don't have any family or friends that have a Wii U.  People I've slept with have it though. 

Regardless, I've never seen my Home button light up nor even known that it would have meant I had a Wii U Chat call.  Sorry Lizard Dude.  Are you going to be in the D.C. area in the future.  Maybe we could catch the new Star Wars movie when it comes out. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 01:45:57 AM »
A casualty of the recent update that improves loadtimes is the Nintendo Land loading music. I never get to hear my favorite part anymore!

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 06:33:02 AM »
A casualty of the recent update that improves loadtimes is the Nintendo Land loading music. I never get to hear my favorite part anymore!
Nintendo Land? I don't get my funky 70s Lego City music for as long anymore!

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 06:56:14 AM »
funky 70s Lego City music

BOW CHIKKA WAKKA BOW CHIKKA WAKKA

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
More like BOW BRIKKA WAKKA BOW BRIKKA WAKKA
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »
Calling someone on Wii U Chat is a seriously surreal experience. You sit there staring into your own face while listening to insane carnival music and praying the party you're calling notices the subtle flashing of their GamePad's home button light. They probably won't. They're probably not even using a GamePad.

The music plays on.
I noticed, but my internet sucks too much right now to do video calling. I tried answering the other night while I was playing Super Metroid, and I got a network error and had to turn off the console.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »
Here's a cute detail: the Miiverse code refers to Yeahs as "empathy".

CrossEyed7

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »
The Yeah system is really an elegant way of solving the "I want to show support for this, but I don't "like" it" social network problem. On Facebook, if someone posts "My grandma just died. :(" and you don't know what to say to them but you want to let them know you're there, do you click Like and hope they understand that you don't actually like that their grandmother died but are trying to do the internet equivalent of a hug or backpat or whatever?

But on Miiverse, if someone says their grandmother died, then as long as they remembered to give their Mii a frowny face, clicking Yeah will mean "Yeah... that sucks," rather than "Yeah! Dead grandmas!"

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »
f

In the Wii U's entire run I bought nine games, two of which were remakes.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 03:51:48 PM »
I own more Wii U games than I do Wii games, and still use it all the time. I can see how, in the market as a whole, it's been a flop, but for me it's been a rousing success.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 05:09:16 PM »
Seven here. I enjoyed them all greatly except Pokkén which I've yet to set some significant time aside for.

I'm sure I'd have more games for it if it were all I had... if I weren't sucked into Dark Souls and Brawlhalla and stuff. I will get Pikmin 3, I might want Mario Maker sometime later...

But isn't that the problem, that I have alternatives and have spent my time and money there instead. A problem for Nintendo, not for me. Hmmm...

Shouldn't it be about time for the 3DS (a very good system with lots of great games, and spectacular backward compatibility) to hand over its torch too? Hmm hmm hmm hmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder what will happen.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 05:32:22 PM »
In comparison, I've bought about 30 3DS games. A higher ratio of losers in there (Stinker Star, Chibi Slo-Mo, Pokemon I Haven't Touched it Since Making A Circuit of the Island Where the Battle Frontier Should Be, etc.), but still.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
I haven't owned a console since I moved to law school, so I can't judge (Pikmin 3 was about the only solid exclusive I managed to get through), but it definitely seemed like the most insubstantial library of any Nintendo system.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
I don't think I've truly felt that I got a decent-sized library out of a console since the PS2, honestly.  Partly due to PC almost aways being as good or better as a gaming platform these days... but, putting PC aside and only considering console libraries, I think the Wii U might still have more games I care about than either the Xbone or PS4.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 01:06:57 AM »
For me, 7's a smaller-than-usual number but not so much that it's a big shock. I usually get about ten games for a system over its lifespan, or after. Historically that comes from not being able to afford stuff, and now that I can it comes from not being willing to pay 60 dollars for a game... which is why my Steam list (59 by my counting) towers over the next-most games I have for a console (14 on the Wii). Although, I have gone against that unwillingness a lot of times for Wii U games because I am enslaved by the Mario

I am gonna get Pikmin 3 really soon though, price drop, big celebration
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 08:42:40 AM »
Historically that comes from not being able to afford stuff, and now that I can it comes from not being willing to pay 60 dollars for a game... which is why my Steam list (59 by my counting) towers over the next-most games I have for a console (14 on the Wii).
This too.  It borders on insane to pay full retail price for a game when Steam is a thing.  Nintendo is smart in that their biggest library titles are all exclusives, a trend Microsoft and Sony have shied away from.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »
I think that's Nintendo's big weakness right now, though--no, no, not that oh deary me, Nintendo doesn't have Assassin's Creed 52, they're doomed!, but that, it takes a lot of effort and money to make a game these days. No one else is trying to support a system almost all alone, let alone two. They still have the passion and still make a quality video game, if they could only figure out how to focus all their efforts into one machine that satisfies a very large audience, one made up of people with no time at home to play games and also people who want to kick back and relax and play their games on a big screen....

yeah yes i really think making the handheld that is also a console would solve pretty much all of their problems and be the best thing since everything else, and i think they believe the same thing--it would make sense if the wii u were born of prototypes for this concept
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2016, 02:03:31 AM »
Nintendo probably wants to keep their announcement-to-release time low to prevent the kind of frustration we see with games like Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

In short: generally speaking, would you rather have a game you're interested in come out a few months after being announced, or a few years later?
And five years later, that game's finally maybe coming out soon.

Although part of me actually would prefer knowing about games further in advance. Like, with Paper Mario Color Splash, it's clearly too far into development now for them to make any major changes. If we'd known about it and seen some footage of it a year or two ago, they could've possibly listened to feedback on it. Not that they would have (and it's the same feedback we've been giving since 2012 anyway), but

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »
I just realized: we're never getting any of the fabled two-GamePad games are we.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »
Never heard that fable.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Wii U just didn't end up popular enough to warrant putting development time into 2-GamePad games. The cost to manufacture extra gamepads that would sit on shelves while only a few games supported it would have been too much.

However, I think that if Project Giant Robot came to fruition as a full game, it would have supported it for 2-player, but someone would have to bring over their extra GamePad.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
From the sound of it, the Wii U didn't end up popular enough to warrant putting development time into several million Wii U's.

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
What the hell was I thinking when I thought this system would stand on its own
Relics.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 11:32:54 PM »
You were thinking that this system would stand on its own.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 06:46:33 AM »
Nah, I'm pretty sure it needs those little plastic things that you put on the bottom, or else you just have to lay it on its side.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2016, 10:29:48 PM »
-Wii U-branded Wii Remotes and Nunchuks will be available
Wait, did this happen?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
Kinda. The box is all about Wii U and mentions "also works with Wii" but the remote itself looks just like a Wii Remote Plus.

You know what's a lot of fun*? Trying to explain what the Wii U does and what controllers work with it and how and what you need to play Wii games and what the difference is.

*I want to quit my ****ing job and get a new one
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2016, 11:18:34 PM »
I mean on the one hand it is kinda nice that most families can do basic multiplayer in most Wii U games by just pulling that bucket from ten years ago out from under the entertainment center again, but at the same time it doesn't do much to curb the confusion most people have about what exactly a Wii U is in relation to a Wii (I have had two separate people under the age of 20 tell me, unprompted and totally convinced, that Nintendo made both a Wii 2 and a Wii U, and the Wii U is actually the third Wii).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:24:11 PM by CrossEyed7 »

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2016, 12:28:46 AM »
So they thought the Wii mini was a different system?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2016, 01:26:39 PM »
I guess?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2016, 04:08:17 PM »
I don't think it'd be fair to expect anybody to understand how the industry works if they haven't already been paying attention to it for ten years. Just think about the 3DS series. You understood what a 3DS was because you knew what a DS was. You understood what a 3DS XL and 2DS were because you knew what a 3DS was. You can't begin to describe the New 3DS without first describing the 3DS, one of its exclusive features is to play SNES games (what's a SNES, now), you have to make a distinction between an enhanced version of a game system and an actual successor to it, so you'll probably compare it to the DSi and Game Boy Color...

I think it's a basic responsibility of a consumer to research something before they spend a bunch of money on it and if you buy the wrong thing because you couldn't be bothered to learn about all your options that's your problem. You don't really have an excuse. But I think the effect of just how complicated it is will either keep people in their comfort zones, or make all these game reboots with the same title as the original but less nichey gameplay okay forever
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2016, 07:52:44 PM »
Consumers definitely have a responsibility to research what they're buying, but it really behooves companies to make things less obtuse, because once you get into trying to explain what a New 3DS is, a lot of people are just going to throw their hands up and go back to phone games instead of doing that research (the 2DS and the 3DS are the same thing but the DS is a different thing than them, and the 3DS and the New 3DS are not quite the same thing because the New 3DS can play this one game over here where the name of the console is at the top of the box? the difference between the 3DS and the New 3DS is that the New 3DS can play more old games than the Old 3DS (but the old games that you can play only on the New 3DS aren't the oldest games that you can play on the 3DS)?).

The NX should be called the New Nintendo.

Print