Print

Author Topic: New Wii U details - launch date, price, and more!  (Read 39010 times)

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 06:56:14 AM »
funky 70s Lego City music

BOW CHIKKA WAKKA BOW CHIKKA WAKKA
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
More like BOW BRIKKA WAKKA BOW BRIKKA WAKKA
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »
Calling someone on Wii U Chat is a seriously surreal experience. You sit there staring into your own face while listening to insane carnival music and praying the party you're calling notices the subtle flashing of their GamePad's home button light. They probably won't. They're probably not even using a GamePad.

The music plays on.
I noticed, but my internet sucks too much right now to do video calling. I tried answering the other night while I was playing Super Metroid, and I got a network error and had to turn off the console.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »
Here's a cute detail: the Miiverse code refers to Yeahs as "empathy".

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »
The Yeah system is really an elegant way of solving the "I want to show support for this, but I don't "like" it" social network problem. On Facebook, if someone posts "My grandma just died. :(" and you don't know what to say to them but you want to let them know you're there, do you click Like and hope they understand that you don't actually like that their grandmother died but are trying to do the internet equivalent of a hug or backpat or whatever?

But on Miiverse, if someone says their grandmother died, then as long as they remembered to give their Mii a frowny face, clicking Yeah will mean "Yeah... that sucks," rather than "Yeah! Dead grandmas!"
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »
f

In the Wii U's entire run I bought nine games, two of which were remakes.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 03:51:48 PM »
I own more Wii U games than I do Wii games, and still use it all the time. I can see how, in the market as a whole, it's been a flop, but for me it's been a rousing success.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 05:09:16 PM »
Seven here. I enjoyed them all greatly except Pokkén which I've yet to set some significant time aside for.

I'm sure I'd have more games for it if it were all I had... if I weren't sucked into Dark Souls and Brawlhalla and stuff. I will get Pikmin 3, I might want Mario Maker sometime later...

But isn't that the problem, that I have alternatives and have spent my time and money there instead. A problem for Nintendo, not for me. Hmmm...

Shouldn't it be about time for the 3DS (a very good system with lots of great games, and spectacular backward compatibility) to hand over its torch too? Hmm hmm hmm hmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder what will happen.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 05:32:22 PM »
In comparison, I've bought about 30 3DS games. A higher ratio of losers in there (Stinker Star, Chibi Slo-Mo, Pokemon I Haven't Touched it Since Making A Circuit of the Island Where the Battle Frontier Should Be, etc.), but still.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
I haven't owned a console since I moved to law school, so I can't judge (Pikmin 3 was about the only solid exclusive I managed to get through), but it definitely seemed like the most insubstantial library of any Nintendo system.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
I don't think I've truly felt that I got a decent-sized library out of a console since the PS2, honestly.  Partly due to PC almost aways being as good or better as a gaming platform these days... but, putting PC aside and only considering console libraries, I think the Wii U might still have more games I care about than either the Xbone or PS4.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 01:06:57 AM »
For me, 7's a smaller-than-usual number but not so much that it's a big shock. I usually get about ten games for a system over its lifespan, or after. Historically that comes from not being able to afford stuff, and now that I can it comes from not being willing to pay 60 dollars for a game... which is why my Steam list (59 by my counting) towers over the next-most games I have for a console (14 on the Wii). Although, I have gone against that unwillingness a lot of times for Wii U games because I am enslaved by the Mario

I am gonna get Pikmin 3 really soon though, price drop, big celebration
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 08:42:40 AM »
Historically that comes from not being able to afford stuff, and now that I can it comes from not being willing to pay 60 dollars for a game... which is why my Steam list (59 by my counting) towers over the next-most games I have for a console (14 on the Wii).
This too.  It borders on insane to pay full retail price for a game when Steam is a thing.  Nintendo is smart in that their biggest library titles are all exclusives, a trend Microsoft and Sony have shied away from.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »
I think that's Nintendo's big weakness right now, though--no, no, not that oh deary me, Nintendo doesn't have Assassin's Creed 52, they're doomed!, but that, it takes a lot of effort and money to make a game these days. No one else is trying to support a system almost all alone, let alone two. They still have the passion and still make a quality video game, if they could only figure out how to focus all their efforts into one machine that satisfies a very large audience, one made up of people with no time at home to play games and also people who want to kick back and relax and play their games on a big screen....

yeah yes i really think making the handheld that is also a console would solve pretty much all of their problems and be the best thing since everything else, and i think they believe the same thing--it would make sense if the wii u were born of prototypes for this concept
It's YOUR problem!

Print