Print

Author Topic: New Wii U details - launch date, price, and more!  (Read 39009 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2016, 02:03:31 AM »
Nintendo probably wants to keep their announcement-to-release time low to prevent the kind of frustration we see with games like Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

In short: generally speaking, would you rather have a game you're interested in come out a few months after being announced, or a few years later?
And five years later, that game's finally maybe coming out soon.

Although part of me actually would prefer knowing about games further in advance. Like, with Paper Mario Color Splash, it's clearly too far into development now for them to make any major changes. If we'd known about it and seen some footage of it a year or two ago, they could've possibly listened to feedback on it. Not that they would have (and it's the same feedback we've been giving since 2012 anyway), but
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »
I just realized: we're never getting any of the fabled two-GamePad games are we.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »
Never heard that fable.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Wii U just didn't end up popular enough to warrant putting development time into 2-GamePad games. The cost to manufacture extra gamepads that would sit on shelves while only a few games supported it would have been too much.

However, I think that if Project Giant Robot came to fruition as a full game, it would have supported it for 2-player, but someone would have to bring over their extra GamePad.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
From the sound of it, the Wii U didn't end up popular enough to warrant putting development time into several million Wii U's.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
What the hell was I thinking when I thought this system would stand on its own
Relics.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 11:32:54 PM »
You were thinking that this system would stand on its own.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 06:46:33 AM »
Nah, I'm pretty sure it needs those little plastic things that you put on the bottom, or else you just have to lay it on its side.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2016, 10:29:48 PM »
-Wii U-branded Wii Remotes and Nunchuks will be available
Wait, did this happen?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
Kinda. The box is all about Wii U and mentions "also works with Wii" but the remote itself looks just like a Wii Remote Plus.

You know what's a lot of fun*? Trying to explain what the Wii U does and what controllers work with it and how and what you need to play Wii games and what the difference is.

*I want to quit my ****ing job and get a new one
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2016, 11:18:34 PM »
I mean on the one hand it is kinda nice that most families can do basic multiplayer in most Wii U games by just pulling that bucket from ten years ago out from under the entertainment center again, but at the same time it doesn't do much to curb the confusion most people have about what exactly a Wii U is in relation to a Wii (I have had two separate people under the age of 20 tell me, unprompted and totally convinced, that Nintendo made both a Wii 2 and a Wii U, and the Wii U is actually the third Wii).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:24:11 PM by CrossEyed7 »

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2016, 12:28:46 AM »
So they thought the Wii mini was a different system?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2016, 01:26:39 PM »
I guess?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2016, 04:08:17 PM »
I don't think it'd be fair to expect anybody to understand how the industry works if they haven't already been paying attention to it for ten years. Just think about the 3DS series. You understood what a 3DS was because you knew what a DS was. You understood what a 3DS XL and 2DS were because you knew what a 3DS was. You can't begin to describe the New 3DS without first describing the 3DS, one of its exclusive features is to play SNES games (what's a SNES, now), you have to make a distinction between an enhanced version of a game system and an actual successor to it, so you'll probably compare it to the DSi and Game Boy Color...

I think it's a basic responsibility of a consumer to research something before they spend a bunch of money on it and if you buy the wrong thing because you couldn't be bothered to learn about all your options that's your problem. You don't really have an excuse. But I think the effect of just how complicated it is will either keep people in their comfort zones, or make all these game reboots with the same title as the original but less nichey gameplay okay forever
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print