Print

Author Topic: Helix: The Best Wii Game  (Read 3395 times)

« on: August 26, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »
Yesterday I first heard of Helix and it sounded like it could be good. Today I watched the info vid on the Nintendo Channel and it looked great. Then I got it and it was spectacular.

You hold a Remote in each hand and copy the moves of a robot who's about a beat ahead. Your moves end up going with the actual song. Above the robot is a scrolling bar that shows when each move should be starting and ending. You dance to no-name techno and songs about robots drinking juice. The remotes are both vibrating to the beat.

It was the most fun the Wii has ever blasted my brain with.

So as I see it, the current Wii game rankings are now:

Best) Helix
Second) WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Third) No More Heroes

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »
I watched a video about the game. It looks pretty good. However, with what little space I have left on my Wii (57 blocks, I think) would it really be worth deleting such games like F-Zero X or Star Fox 64? Afterall, with only 26 songs, it looks pretty short. Does it make up for it's length in sheer addictiveness? If it is worth the Wii Points, I'll defiantly buy it (once I get some Wii points, that is).
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:43:27 PM »
Only 26 songs? For $10? Why you whippersnappers back in my day our rhythm games had 6-10 songs and cost $50 AND WE LIKED IT!

I have become smart enough in my old age to realize that length and replayability are absolutely retarded ways to judge a game. All that really matters is how high a game can send your mind soaring at its best moment.

There are three general paths to this peak: epic combating/platforming/rhythming (these are actually the same thing portrayed through different lenses), delicious meaningful choices, or the artsy-fartsy route.

This has a lot to do with why I cited SMRPG as the "best game ever" for a long time while I was dumber, but now realize that to actually be Space Channel 5 Part 2.

Anyway, the triple whammy of my love for new gameplay experiences, good physical rhythming, and use of Wii/DS features for good not evil combine and gave this Helix a mountainous brain peak for me.

But I suppose most of you people would feel totally ripped off.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 05:17:27 AM »
would it really be worth deleting such games like F-Zero X or Star Fox 64?
Deleted items can be re-downloaded for free.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »
Do ypu get to keep your save file?
Noy Duh

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:10:11 PM »
If you delete a game, I'm going to make a wild guess and assume the save data goes with it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:28:12 PM »
Nope, they're separate.

When you go into the Wii Data screen, it makes you choose to look at the channel files or save files. The VC games under Channels are the game data, and fairly large. Then under Saves each game has another file, usually only 1 block for VC games (but stuff like Brawl can have huge save files). For old games without real saving, I think this is where the VC save state goes too.

When I "clean the fridge", I usually move the channel and save both to the SD card, then delete them from the system. But since the Wii has horrifically slow SD transfer speed, it might be smarter to just save the save and redownload the game when you next need it. I just put everything to SD so it's easy to remember what I own that's not currently on the system.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:29:55 PM »
Ah... well, that's helpful! I keep that in mind, perhaps...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
This game seems pretty cool, even despite my usual apathy towards rhythm games. It's almost like if you took Tiny Wario's final microgame (from WarioWare: Smooth Moves, no doubt) and expanded it into an entire game, Helix would be the end result. I'll have to give this a try.

Edit: I bought this and can tell it's way cool just from playing the first few songs on Easy. I'll have to play more once my arms stop hurting.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:19:24 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Print