Poll

What do you use when eating Asian cuisine?

Chopsticks
9 (37.5%)
Silverware
11 (45.8%)
I use mah hands, foo'.
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: Chopsticks or silverware?  (Read 8392 times)

« on: October 27, 2007, 09:48:22 PM »
So I tried using chopsticks today while eating a plate of General Tso's chicken, and failed miserably, so I switched back to a fork. As I started to discuss this in IRC, I thought it'd make a good thread here, seeing as Max's toilet paper thread was surprisingly popular.

So, which do you use?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 09:49:21 PM »
Chopsticks rule.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »
Chopsticks aren't too hard. You just have to make sure to only move one of them using your index finger.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »
Silverware, because that's usually all that's available. I know how to use chopsticks, however.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 10:11:08 PM »
Chopsticks are fun. Also I heard that one reason Asians seem to be thinner than Americans (not that I support this... stereotype?) is because since they use chopsticks, the oil and fat and stuff they use to cook and garnish with is not ingested as much as it is with our food, thanks to the liquid-holding silverware. Think about that next time you're sucking the goo out of the bottom of your Chinatown Express take-out box, America.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
Think about that next time you're sucking the goo out of the bottom of your Chinatown Express take-out box, America.
Let's not turn this into an "America's fat and it needs to stop being fat" thread. =P

A friend of mine says she was forced to learn how as a child (she's not Asian) by her mother, and can use them quite efficiently now.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 10:47:51 PM »
I'm pretty good with chopsticks and always use them at Japanese restaurants.  It's interesting to note that most Japanese households have silverware and Japanese children learn to use silverware before being taught to use chopsticks.  BTW, I love Japanese food and raw fish and sometimes eat it with sushi since my wife likes the rice, but both of us do not like Chinese food. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 11:38:05 PM »
I use my bare hands to eat all my food. Especially meat. Meat is delicious and awesome. But Soup burns my hands, though my hands grow manlier each time I burn them.

But when I'm in a restaurant, It's always silverware for me. Chopsticks slow me down.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 11:45:09 PM »
Chopsticks was the first song I learned to play on the piano (no big surprise, though)

Anyway, I like using Chopsticks, except for when it comes to rice.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 02:03:25 AM »
I got teh 1337 chopsticks skills! 0rz!

Rice fears me!

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 07:19:26 AM »
Meh, I barely even use silverware, let alone chopsticks. I'm what would call a finger savage.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
None of the above. Glorb eat with mouth! Glorb like food with sauce and noodles that can slurp noisily!
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 11:52:20 AM »
I use sticks to amuse myself for about a minute, then I switch back to the fork;  I like to have something that gets food to my mouth in the fastest, cleanest way possible, not the utensil equivalent of a puzzle game.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »
After I've tried the chopsticks out and I'm not getting enough into my mouth, I go back to my silverware. I use my hands for the vegetables, though ^-^.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 12:42:02 PM »
I use Chopsticks, but I like Silverware more.

Print