Print

Author Topic: The "Wiimake" Epidemic  (Read 11136 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:49:54 PM »
The Wind Waker remake announcement got me thinking... back then I would've basically been on the bandwagon for hating seemingly constant remakes of Gamecube games or whatever coming from Nintendo, but I've never really been bothered by it (I have a life to worry about, like most of you). However, I've noticed there's a distinct difference between a good remake and a bad remake: whether it unfortunately supersedes a legitimate sequel or spiritual successor.

With the Wind Waker remake, I was pleased to hear about it. I've been wanting to buy it again, but now I have a reason to wait for it. The updated visuals look stunning, and 99% of it is because of its lighting (kind of like how Minecraft looks amazing with Sonic Ether's "Unbelievable Shaders" dynamic lighting mod). The point is it's not going to take the place of a legitimate Legend of Zelda sequel. There is a proper Wii U version being developed, of course, and having a Wind Waker remake tag along is perfectly fine with me.

An example of how this doesn't work is when Nintendo slaps something useless onto an existing Gamecube game (New Play Control: Mario Power Tennis, anyone?) and decides to let that be the star of the Wii generation. We never got a proper Mario Tennis Wii or anything, and porting MPT to the Wii with motion controls was probably one of the poorest decisions Nintendo could make. Here's to an actual Mario Tennis/Golf Wii U game!
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
I was kinda hoping for a Link to the Past remake, in 3D perhaps. I'm not unhappy about it but anyway..

I hope this doesn't pave the way for [insert name of Gamecube title] now in HD. I wouldn't care if Nintendo wanted to make a sequel in a similar vein as to one of their previous games (Super Mario Sunshine 2? Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door 2? Animal Crossing 2*? :B
) but the way they like to do things is "Hey this was a popular idea. Let's make more of these" (thus the birth of the NES Classic Series on GBA)

I hope we get a proper Tennis/Golf Wii U game. I don't know when I'll have a Wii U though..

* Actually, that might not be a bad idea. Original Animal Crossing remade in HD..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »
Remaking 2D games in 3D is generally a Bad Idea. A lot of gameplay concepts and level designs don't transition well from 2D to 3D, and if you're changing stuff to suit the new design, you might as well just make a new game.

Remaking GameCube games for Wii U is a great idea, and I trust Nintendo to do a great job with any remakes that end up happening.

(As an aside, anyone who hates the idea of graphics-enhanced remakes now is going to want to kill themselves next generation when we get things like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare HD and Okami HD HD.)

Hello:)

• Goodbye:(
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
Mario HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD UltraHD.
Good sir

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
Remaking 2D games in 3D is generally a Bad Idea.

I was thinking maybe he meant "same game except the graphics are 3D".

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
The shadows always get me with things like this. Probably because I have never owned a non-Wii seventh gen console or played games with the realistic lighting at all.

Any release dates yet?
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
I'm with Trainman that as long as new games keep being made, remakes are a good thing. When you've played the original, remakes might seem frivolous, but think about something: who is Nintendo making games for in the first place? Everyone, yes... but don't forget, that includes kids who were just being born when the original Wind Waker came out. Remakes can potentially save gamers from a generation gap that would otherwise turn us older players into bigoted, grumpy sacks of sags by providing the new generations with the same games we had when we were their age. While simultaneously stroking our nostalgia boners. Sounds like a win-win.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »
The fact that I tend to visualize a lot of imagery nowadays (whereas before when I could easily hear anything without creating a mental picture) makes me hate myself when posts like the above end the way they do.

On subject, I also agree. Remakes aren't bad, but I definitely didn't understand bringing "Mario Power Tennis" over to the Wii. Even with "Mario Sports Mix," it felt odd that they never created a console specific Tennis title. Still, this is coming from a guy that recently bought Pikmin 2 for the Wii... but I've never played it on GameCube soooo...
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:20:51 AM »
A lot of gameplay concepts and level designs don't transition well from 2D to 3D

True, but maybe they could follow a similar path as Super Mario 3D Land: it's in 3D, but most levels have a definite path to the end.

Or something like that, like the NSMB series.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »
I'm generally fine with "remakes" or rereleases as long as it's not skipping on features that could be supported or were in the original version (Like how Wii Mario Tennis inexplicably doesn't support any controllers beside the Wiimote) and the port/emulation quality isn't noticeably bad. With high-quality amateur emulators abundant, there's no reason for a professional release to sound like this.

As R-Type Dimensions and the aborted Bonk sequel/remake (?) proves, that's generally not a good idea either.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »
There's no reason for a professional release to look like the Devil May Cry HD Collection, either, but whoops, that sure did come out and look like a PS2 game in every possible way except display resolution.

Mr. Nomad

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »
Mario HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD HD UltraHD.

I usually don't see a difference between regular and HD in movies and games.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 01:10:50 PM »
For real? I couldn't believe what I was missing when I finally got an HDTV, and the difference between 480i and 1080p... heck, just the difference between a GameCube or Wii game in 480p and 480i is kind of a big deal.

It's less of a big deal in movies, I think, but HD is nice there too.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:12:32 PM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 06:04:31 AM »
Yeesh, I had an old rear projection TV from 2007 that was slowly dying from overscanning. When I got my new flat screen, everything was 1000 times better.

Also, the difference between SD and HD with video games is enormous. When I had my stupid Dazzle SD capture card, I was forced to have my 360 output 480p to capture Bad Company 2 footage at the time. I couldn't even make out other people's gamertags or really any info on my HUD. 480p on Wii seems to make everything brighter and a bit sharper with the drawback of jaggies being more prominent as a result. My friend just bought a 46" Vizio and was playing Gran Turismo 5 on it... but he doesn't have component cables. The game looks terrible and you can't read much of anything on the menu. It hurt my eyes.

Point is, if anyone is still playing HD consoles with composite cables or an 18" curved screen CRT, come join us in the year 2013. You have basically no excuse if you're in high school. Mow a lawn, do a chore, do anything and spend the 250-300 dollars on a moderately-sized HDTV. Even worse, if someone is still stuck back in the early 2000s where "graphics aren't everything" and they think that a game must either have good gameplay or good graphics with no blend of the two, then I will probably just hate you.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 06:59:54 AM »
Too bad the major western publishers have made it quite clear that good gameplay isn't even remotely a priority anymore.

Also, "stop being poor" isn't a viable prospect for a lot of adults nowadays. What makes you think high school students with no degree, no real-world experience, and an existing eight-hour commitment five days of the week (not counting extracurricular activities, time to do homework, et cetera) will have better luck?

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
If you don't have an HD TV, then you could play using the Gamepad, assuming it's supported.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »
I was very happy about the WW remake announcement. I love that game, and I definitely am glad to see we'll have a way to play it in 16:9. The game is the most gorgeous Zelda.

I know they're not going to, but I really wish Nintendo would also go through the game and redo the textures, and even add new special effects to make everything in the game look cel-shaded, not just the characters and some objects. If you'll remember, the environmental textures are cartoony, but they don't have cel-shading effects applied to them. In the new screenshots, it looks like they've increased the texture resolutions, but it doesn't look like additional special effects are being applied.

Anyways, I'm happy to see it again, and I really hope a whole bunch of people who have never played the game before play it.

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
I'll buy the Wii U version as long as it doesn't have this

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Did you not like that tutorial sequence? I didn't think it was too bad. Though I do have a soft spot for Wind Waker, maybe my nostalgia overrides my memory.

Speaking of "Wiimakes", what do you guys think of the Deus Ex port? I think it could be very cool. However, I've already played through the game twice, and I have plenty of other games to play, so I'm not sure if I really want to get it on Wii U and play it again.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »
Instead of remaking a game with deliberately non-realistic, timeless visuals, maybe we should tackle... I don't know, Majora's Mask? But then I guess that would break that weird rule about having Ocarina of Time be on a platform before MM can...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
Every time I see a screenshot of the original Wind Waker I remember how much I don't like the remade graphics, and how much I'm going to hate myself for buying the remake anyway.

I haven't bought OoT3D yet, so maybe there's still hope. But I have a lot more nostalgia for Wind Waker than Ocarina, so I'll probably cave in for it eventually.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
Did you not like that tutorial sequence? I didn't think it was too bad. Though I do have a soft spot for Wind Waker, maybe my nostalgia overrides my memory.

Speaking of "Wiimakes", what do you guys think of the Deus Ex port? I think it could be very cool. However, I've already played through the game twice, and I have plenty of other games to play, so I'm not sure if I really want to get it on Wii U and play it again.
Not the tutorial in general, just that part due to it being a little oversensitive in what should be a very forgiving part of the game.
The rest of the game is awesome.
Every time I see a screenshot of the original Wind Waker I remember how much I don't like the remade graphics, and how much I'm going to hate myself for buying the remake anyway.

I haven't bought OoT3D yet, so maybe there's still hope. But I have a lot more nostalgia for Wind Waker than Ocarina, so I'll probably cave in for it eventually.
The graphics seem very faithful to the original IMO. They retain the original feel while adding improvements like the light engine.

Print