Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. DX - Replaying  (Read 6578 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »
So I stumbled across my SMB Deluxe cart recently and starting playing through it again... yes, I know, there are much better ways to play it on handhelds these days, but I do find myself wishing Nintendo did a few more of these mild updates.  I'm starting to think that with the advent of the Virtual Console, most remakes of classic titles will cease.

That's probably a good thing, but there is something interesting about playing through different versions of a game.  There are at least four different versions of Super Mario Bros. out there (3, if you discount the arcade title), each with a slightly different feel to it.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »
I liked SMB DX for GBC. It had so many updates it really was worth the price.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
SMBDX is the foremost reason that I am good at SMB. I got every single medal and also suffered the dreaded Yoshi is hungry... glitch.

It still plays the Star Trek theme when I turn it on, which makes me smile.

Oh yeah, I also remember going to the very end of the calender and putting an event on the final day marked The Apocalypse.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:40:46 AM by Lizard Dude »

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:54:01 AM »
SMBDX was great. Too bad my cart erased all of the stuff I unlocked on it. I guess I'll just have to play through it... and get the Boo race thing... and Super Mario Bros. for Super Players.

But yeah, I had a lot of fun, I'd like to see more games like this.
I'm a horrible person.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:00:29 AM »
SMBDX was the only version of SMB that I ever beat. This was mainly because it was the only version I played enough to beat. And I sure played it a lot-- I remember maaxing out Mario's lives.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:10:03 AM »
Several years ago, I lent my mother my GBC and SMBDX. She still has them. That's what I get for giving a veteran a trip down memory lane. She does play it once in awhile and she even has to get my attention every time she catches the Koopa Troopa in 3-1. A feat that I could never do.

Great. I feel like such a loser now...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:52:03 AM »
In many ways SMB DX is my favorite version.  I wonder why more games (I'm looking at you NSMB) don't have similar medal systems.  Online leader boards would also be nice.  I wonder if we'll ever have a GB/GBC channel on Wii.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
SMBDX was my first GB game. I think the extras were a nice addition to the game, especially Challenge Mode, which I spent FOREVER trying to complete. It was a great challenge trying to find the Red Coins and Yoshi Eggs and whatnot.

The inclusion of the Lost Levels was nice as well, but why didn't they include Worlds 9 through D...?
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 12:35:25 PM »
They did.  You played it wrong.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Super-Jesse

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 01:00:27 PM »

I can't find the thread where we put these, but you inspired me to make this
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 01:12:31 PM »
Even though it was made because of something I said...I laughed. ^_^
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »
No, they didn't.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 02:39:45 PM »
No, they didn't.
You're right.  I was thinking of my imported SMB2 version.  Oops.

Super-Jesse

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 06:06:19 PM »
Even though it was made because of something I said...I laughed. ^_^

I knew you were right, but rather than say it, I thought I'd make a picture :-)

Print