Print

Author Topic: Why are game companies bringing back old stuff?  (Read 19654 times)

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 02:15:23 AM »
Glad they are bringing back the old stuff. I doubt they will take it further by reviving older consoles like the SNES, NES, and Game Boy. I'm sure most of you know how I feel about the modern gaming industry, so...
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 07:14:54 AM »
Quote from: CrossEyed7
If it had been called something like "Paper Mario: The Tribe of
 Ancients and the Dark Prognosticus", fewer people would've
 thought it was New Super Mario Bros. and maybe not as many
 people would've been disappointed. Also if New Super Mario
 Bros. Wii had already come out in 2006, so that people in
 2007 wouldn't be so desperate for a Mario sidescroller. Then the main problem would've been that it's not as fun to not
 have real party members.
I think if the whole or part of the 1st part was in the manual, then less people would have been like "OMG GET 2 TEH MARIOS ALREADY Y U NO GAMEPLAY!!!!111!!!ELEVEN11!1ONE!" They would have found what may be the best self-parody game ever if it weren't for the textys.

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 10:28:14 AM »
This would be a neat feature on the 3DS: a way to emulate/play Super GameBoy enhanced titles.* I was thinking of plugging in my Snes the other day just for this reason..

* I don't own a 3DS, so I don't know if such a feature already exists..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 03:55:40 PM »
Was there seriously significant portion of the population that thought SPM was supposed to be traditional Mario game before they bought it?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
The Amazon reviews would seem to say so. There's plenty of reviews saying "This isn't a real Paper Mario game, there's no battles and audience and Goombario!", but there's about as many saying "This isn't a real Super Mario game, there's too much talking!" And it's not surprising, considering how many lapsed gamers are in the Wii's demographic, how much the long tail / evergreen / whatever effect is in effect on the Wii (people picking up SPM after playing NSMBW), the name, and the fact that it was advertised with screenshots like these:

Also here are some ads for Bowser's Inside Story where Nintendo actively encouraged this sort of thing:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBvPw0h6Qg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBvPw0h6Qg</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibOyTb4e82U" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibOyTb4e82U</a>

And here's one where they sold it to casuals and moms as "a great game to move on to after Brain Training"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0AtDEq0kc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0AtDEq0kc</a>
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 10:39:20 PM »
While I liked all the "old stuff" in Super Paper Mario, I'd say it's Nintendo's fault for marketing the game as a platformer like Super Mario Bros. rather than an addition to the Paper Mario series.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »
While I liked all the "old stuff" in Super Paper Mario, I'd say it's Nintendo's fault for marketing the game as a platformer like Super Mario Bros. rather than an addition to the Paper Mario series.
I swear Nintendo tried by saying stuff like,"2D sidescroller, push button recieve 3D!"

CrossEyed7

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »
Such things are welcome when done right (e.g., when they bring something good to the table of their own (i.e., the opposite of Sonic 4)).
By the way, the opposite of Sonic 4 (at least Episode 1) is Sonic Generations (at least the console version). In fact, in my personal canon, Sonic Advance is Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations is Sonic 5.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:43 AM »
I'd just like to stop in here and say that Super Mario 3D Land is actually really really good.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »
I will most likely heartily concur once I get to play it.

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »
By the way, the opposite of Sonic 4 (at least Episode 1) is Sonic Generations (at least the console version). In fact, in my personal canon, Sonic Advance is Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations is Sonic 5.
According to Sonic Retro, Sonic 4 Episode 2 will be better. (in engine)

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 12:23:41 AM »
I don't know if this goes here, but it's Honey Nut Cheerios all over again.
[youtube]JFYRNpoYdAM[\youtube]
Sonic 3 music was used. :)

CrossEyed7

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »
Today I learned that Sheriff originally had the same control scheme as Geometry Wars:

It's a little hard to see here, but there's two joysticks: one for moving, one for shooting. In 1979.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 12:29:52 AM »
That's the Robotron 2084 control scheme.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:41 AM »
That's the Smash TV control scheme.
(Incidentally, Smash TV had nothing to do with Robotron, despite being virtually the same game.)
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Print