Print

Author Topic: Emulations Are For Bad Boys/Girls?  (Read 4281 times)

« on: July 06, 2001, 01:34:13 PM »
I was looking in a issue of Nintendo Power and I saw something people at The Mushroom Kingdom and other people should know. Emulations are illegal! Do not use them! Your can't use a emulation for a game unless the game was made 75+ years ago. That means zippo games can be played on emulation. Take any emulations you have off your computer. If you don't have any, smart you.
There''s only two good things in life...
Video Games and COWS!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2001, 05:14:40 PM »
Yeah, emulation is one of those things that is "illegal", but people do it anyway. I really don't see what the problem is with emulating NES games, though. Its obsolete, so nintendo can't make any money off of it. Besides, if they would have been smart enough to make them so they didn't break after two years (I went through three of them), I wouldn't have to use an emulator to get my old school fix. I am however, really against emulating N64, dreamcast, playstation, and any other non-obsolete system.

~Heir to the Royal Throne, the Baker of Many Cakes, Kisser of Many Noses,Bimbo Supreme, and Crybaby Extroidinaire,Her Royal Highness, the Noble Princess Peach Toadstool~
~Heir to the Royal Throne, the Baker of Many Cakes, Kisser of Many Noses,Bimbo Supreme, and Crybaby Extroidinaire,Her Royal Highness, the Noble Princess Peach Toadstool~

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2001, 07:54:09 PM »
I don't really see what's so wrong with emulation on obsolete systems. I would never download any N64, PS2 roms. Actually, I never could download them, because I only have a dial-up...

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2001, 10:08:52 PM »
I agree.Obesolete systems should be okay.

All hail the almighty Oreo cookie master.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2001, 05:57:53 PM »
Yeah, really. Nintendo isn't making any money off of old systems if they're not manufacturing them.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2001, 01:43:26 AM »
Yeah, emulation is illegal...

but so are MP3s, burned CDs, movies you tape from the TV, and a bunch of other nifty techno-stuff that the politicians haven't found a way to regulate yet.
I want to be where the Yaks can run free;
Where the marmosets can attack me!

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2001, 01:45:06 AM »
Let me make a quick update-

If you are into emulation, you have my pity.  I empathize.  If you are not into emulation, don't ever try it!  It is highly addictive!  You have been warned. ;)
I want to be where the Yaks can run free;
Where the marmosets can attack me!

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2001, 02:27:50 PM »
Actually, the copyright law DOES allow one to tape music off the radio and films off the TV -- but you can't sell those to other people...

Emulation itself isn't illegal -- but getting  copies of copywritten games IS (unless you own the game itself).

It doesn't matter if the product is no longer being produced; the owner has the right to control how their product is treated. You might not like it, but that's the way it is. I've noticed that people rarely stop at emulation and "Roms/Warez" of old systems and games, anyway...
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2001, 04:13:10 PM »
Everthing David said is right.

All hail the almighty Oreo cookie master.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2001, 06:18:45 AM »
I guess that is pretty true. Someone starts by emulating a few harmless atari games, and then it mushrooms into this big n64/playstation/dreamcast emu addiction (I guess atari/nes/ other old school stuff is the marijuana of the rom world? LOL). But still, what did they lose if I downloaded the Final Fantasy game for NES that wasn't ever available in America? Nothing. If anything, they gained a new fan. I never liked the Final Fantasy games until I played that one. If anything, it would increase their fame. And I wouldn't go up to any non-obsolete system anyway, both because of my horrendously slow and amnesiac computer (mega low memory for the newer, bigger games) the fact that i already own an N64 (and pretty soon a dreamcast) and playstation sucks ass!

~Princess Peach "Look, I just pulled the tag off of my mattress!"  Toadstool~

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2002, 11:06:48 PM »
I only download emulators of old systems because my computers too slow to run anything else and even if I did download newer systems I'd only download games that weren't released outside of Japan or even America! ( Living in Australia if you like video games sucks because they don't release systems over here for ages because they have to convert the game for the type of tv in Australia because we use PAL tv instead of NTSC. I'm not going to go into that because then it gets reeeeaaaaly complicated.)

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2002, 02:23:29 PM »
It's sort of a mix-up. to emulate a NES or an Atari or SNES is okay, but emulating Gamecubes and Ps2's is illegal! If it's not selling anymore,then it should be legal. anyway, Emulation is better than the original system in most ways:
>No $$$!
>Comes complete with GameShark or whatever other accesories it needs
>allows Savestates at anytime
>has more functions and abilities than the system (as in: layer-by-layer viewing, Sound enhancements, rewind, fast-forwarding through boring parts, screenshots, soundtrack saving, and enhanced controls)
>You don't have to clean the CD/Cartridge
>It can't Break!
>You can get hacks for it that will help you.
>The ability to netplay, transfer save states, and more!
>and last but not least, IT LEAVES THE FAMILY TV FREE!!!! Yippppeeee!

Ok systems to emulate:
NES
GB original
SNES
VB
Sega Genises
Game Gear
and other old systems

I currently have nearly (emphasis on nearly)all the Mario-related starring-role ROMs for the NES, SNES, GB, and more!!

An extremly rare and valuable Yoshi!
"Who want''''s to buy a gold Yoshi? Selling Price, $99,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999!" (almost 10 Googols!)

Edited by - GoldenYoshi on 4/16/2002 11:05:51 AM
(This is GoldenYoshi)
"How much does the $1.99 Popcorn Chicken cost?" ~ Classic Stupidity.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2002, 07:52:15 AM »
according to classicgaming, who hosts this site, emulation is legal if it is a discontinued system OR a game u already have.

I got yer 4 basic food groups. Beans, bacon, whiskey, and lard.
-Cookie, Atlantis: The Lost Empire

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2002, 09:07:16 PM »
*****snort*****
so what if theyre illegal
noones gonna do anyting about it
mp3s are illegal too
but nothing happens except for poor napster
download all the ï£Ñ£§¿Äª¬98¶î@¤¢ emulators you want and nothing will happen
hacks are also illegal
but they kick @$$
and they are wicked ways to change the storyline of a certain video game.
are theyre any snes hacks ot there
im DYIN to know.
p.s. when i said dyin in capital letters i wasnt shouting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mario:Ive quit my job as a plumber and i''ve become a sleasy pizzaman
Snifit:Id like a large with double mushrooms please.
Mario:here you go.
Snifit:This pizza tastes like @$$ and i feel funny now.
Mario:Well i didnt want to go and pick fresh grade A mushrooms case i''d have to drive a few miles to the supermarket Instead I bought the red ones from some drug dealin kid, and i picked the white ones from the little spot in my backyard where yoshi does his business.
Snifit:AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2002, 12:00:51 PM »
Hacks are illegal? They are not ROMs! It is a file that changes the game. I got this really good SMW Hack that make the level cooler! And another one that make them near impossible because they are super-short, but the exit is right on a cliff!
I also have Lunar Magic, the Best SMW editor of all time!

An extremly rare and valuable Yoshi!
"Who want''''s to buy a gold Yoshi? Selling Price, $99,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999!" (almost 10 Googols!)
(This is GoldenYoshi)
"How much does the $1.99 Popcorn Chicken cost?" ~ Classic Stupidity.

Print