Print

Author Topic: Doom's Day  (Read 35386 times)

fuzzy

• Banned
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:21:22 PM »
Doom's Day List      These ten things are the most likely to spell
1. Deep Impact              doom for the planet Earth.  The lower the number 
2. Pandemic                 the more likely the chance of being what brings
3. Gamma Ray Burst          about Doom's Day.
4. Global Warming
5. Terrorism
6. Solor Flares
7. Mass Extinctions
8. Robot Rebellion
9. Alien Attack
10. Super Volcano Eruption
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:55:27 PM »
Are you sure Aliens and Robots are more likely to attack us than it is for a volcano eruption to go haywire?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 01:02:41 PM »

What do you mean by "doom"?  The end of the human race?  All life ends?  The planet itself is destroyed? 

I'd put a super volcano eruption towards the top of the list as far as being likely and having the ability to take out a large percent of Earthly life, but I don't think it would doom humankind.  Even if only thousands to tens of thousands survived as is likely from previous eruption(s) the human race would still survive.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:25:37 PM »
First thing: It's Doomsday, not Doom's Day. Second: The chance of aliens destroying the Earth is very unlikly impossible. You also forgot nuclear war. We're also protected against solar flares and gamma rays. Robot rebellion is not a possibility. We programmed the robots. Remove everything on the list except for terrorisim, deep impact, global warming and nuclear war. Yellowstone might erupt, but only America would be destroyed.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »
Yes, and the rest of the world wouldn't be able to see the sun, or the ground, and would be screwed.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 01:46:47 PM »
Hopefully not in our lifetime.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »
Why isn't "the moon coming closer and closer and crushing us all in 3 days" on the list? And "weird guys in goggles reviving a demon that kills everyone"?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:57:45 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 02:00:26 PM »
Why isn't "the moon coming closer and closer and crushing us all in 3 days" on the list?
XD!

Also, what about nuclear holocaust?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 02:35:36 PM »
Isn't that the same as Nuclear War?  Either they're the same or nuclear war would lead to a nuclear holocaust.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 02:51:09 PM »
So where did you get this information? I don't think it's very valid.
Some things I want to point out.

1. Terrorism destroying the whole Earth is crazy. Not everyone is under fire from the terrorists.
2. The deep impact is very unlikely. The closest thing to impacting us right now is 30 years away and the chances are slim.
3. Robot rebellion? Aliens? Have you proof of their existence?! Mabey there are aliens that want to be our friends!.

I hope some people have faith in us not getting wiped out.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 02:57:29 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 03:24:37 PM »
I thought the end of the Earth would be when the sun becomes a red giant and engulfs Mercury, Venus and Earth.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 03:40:13 PM »
Why isn't "the moon coming closer and closer and crushing us all in 3 days" on the list? And "weird guys in goggles reviving a demon that kills everyone"?

The Moon is moving away from the Earth despite what you may have learned from Majora's Mask.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 03:55:21 PM »
Very true, Luigison,(about an inch a year).
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 04:02:28 PM »
Are you sure Aliens and Robots are more likely to attack us than it is for a volcano eruption to go haywire?
No.  However an alien attack or a robot rebellion would be worse than a super eruption.

The chance of aliens destroying the Earth is very unlikly impossible. You also forgot nuclear war. We're also protected against solar flares and gamma rays. Robot rebellion is not a possibility. We programmed the robots. Remove everything on the list except for terrorisim, deep impact, global warming and nuclear war. Yellowstone might erupt, but only America would be destroyed.
Keep in mind that these are the top 10.  Aliens got put in there probably because there was nothing else to put.  Nuclear war would fall in the terrorist section.  We are not protected againts giganitic solor flares and are certainly not protected againts gamma rays from two exploding stars.  I also doubt that there will ever be a robot rebellion, but some people really think there will be.  The super volcano eruption refers to all of the world's super volcanoes.

What do you mean by "doom"?  The end of the human race?  All life ends?  The planet itself is destroyed?  
The show meant that life would become harder and more hectic.  

1. Terrorism destroying the whole Earth is crazy. Not everyone is under fire from the terrorists.
2. The deep impact is very unlikely. The closest thing to impacting us right now is 30 years away and the chances are slim.
3. Robot rebellion? Aliens? Have you proof of their existence?! Mabey there are aliens that want to be our friends!.

I know.  I didn't make the list.  I don't think a nuclear war will destroy the earth, but it could get really bad in the future.  If a deep impact did happen it would destroy all life.  I believe that if aliens did find us they would want to be our friends.  Remember I didn't make the list and these are the top 10, not 5.  

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 04:09:15 PM »
The super volcano eruption refers to all of the world's super volcanoes.
Realy?  It just says "Super Volcano Eruption".  Singular.  Even so, a single super volcano eruption like the one at Yellowstone would be a global disaster and would surely make life "harder and more hectic" worldwide. 

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »
I am glad that someone sees some truth to the list of doom.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 04:45:37 PM »
I'm not on the list, either. Hrrrngh.
Robots can't really rebel... Has your computer ever done anything to hurt you, physically? Yes, they get viruses and act crappily at times, but the worst a house cleaning robot can do is slow down, causing your house to get filthy, and make you trip over a pile of dirt. If we were really the superior human race we'd be smart enough to not give robots that much artificial intelligence that they'd gain emotions.
If aliens are as much like humans as they logically would be, they wouldn't be conspiring to kill us. Are we humans conspiring to kill an alien race? No, we're too busy killing each other. I don't see why everyone thinks an alien race would be advanced enough to come from great distances just to kill us... we don't, and if we got the technology, would we? For all we know, WE'RE the superior race and should get started on our death rays right now.

* Bird Person gets started on a death ray
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 06:25:30 PM »
Robots can't really rebel... Has your computer ever done anything to hurt you, physically? Yes, they get viruses and act crappily at times, but the worst a house cleaning robot can do is slow down, causing your house to get filthy, and make you trip over a pile of dirt. If we were really the superior human race we'd be smart enough to not give robots that much artificial intelligence that they'd gain emotions.
If aliens are as much like humans as they logically would be, they wouldn't be conspiring to kill us. Are we humans conspiring to kill an alien race? No, we're too busy killing each other. I don't see why everyone thinks an alien race would be advanced enough to come from great distances just to kill us... we don't, and if we got the technology, would we? For all we know, WE'RE the superior race and should get started on our death rays right now.

That is what I think.  It's not like the aliens would be heartless.  I think robots (as in huminoid robots) could rebel if they were advanced enough.  But they wouldn't be able to thanks to Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 07:20:46 PM »
Fear not the end of the world, but rather the end of the industrial age.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 08:04:18 PM »
Humans should be on that list, because we ruin everything. :P
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 10:01:33 PM »
Humans should be on that list, because we ruin everything. :P

So true!  Four items on the list or due to human destruction.  Have you ever seen I,RobotSPOILER FOR THE MOVIE:  I like the idea of robots saving the human race. 

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 10:14:51 PM »
Doom got out of bed. He stretched in his armor and went to have breakfast. When he was done eating, he went to his throne room and issued several orders to his Doombots. They went out to the Latverian countryside to ensure that the citizens were behaving themselves. Meanwhile, Doom looked through his many tomes regarding sorcery and science. He began work on a complicated scientific project. Before he knew it, it was night. He retired to his bedchambers.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 01:45:42 PM »
Hehe, is that how Doom's day really happened!?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 02:44:52 PM »
A Day in the Life of Doom, by Chupperson Weird. That has a nice ring to it.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 03:19:30 PM »
I know.  I didn't make the list.  I don't think a nuclear war will destroy the earth, but it could get really bad in the future.  If a deep impact did happen it would destroy all life.  I believe that if aliens did find us they would want to be our friends.  Remember I didn't make the list and these are the top 10, not 5.  

If you didn't make the list, you should have told us. Also, telling us where you got it would make the info a little more valid. Just a little bit of advice, I don't mean to be pushy.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 04:11:17 PM »
I got the info of off a show call Count Down to Doomsday on the Sci-Fi channel.

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »
Well, that would make sense. The si-fi channel isn't actually using real fact based information. (i.e aliens)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »
Those documentaries are like The DaVinci Code; Mixing fact with fiction.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »
Reminds me of a pseudo-documentary on dragons that was shown on The Discovery Channel.

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 07:31:01 PM »
I wonder why no one has mentioned Divine Intervention.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 07:34:44 PM »
What's that?

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 07:37:17 PM »
God comes down. Stops everything. Does whatever you believe in. For me, that's He saves those who believe in His Son.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 01:11:12 PM »
Apparently not everyone who posted in this topic beleives in that, then.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »
I'm just saying it should have been an option on the Si-Fi channel.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 04:53:23 PM by PaperLuigi »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 04:08:38 PM »
I guess the folks who run that channel don't like mixing Science and Religeon, then.

Print