Print

Author Topic: Mario game guides: Deals or no deals?  (Read 6730 times)

« on: August 05, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »
So yeah, I've considered getting a few Mario game guides, and after searching via Ebay and Amazon, these are rough estimates for lowest Buy-it-Now price ranges from reputable users:

Super Mario All*Stars guide: $35-40 USD
Mario Kart Wii guide: $10-12 USD
Super Mario Galaxy guide: $10-12 USD (though I don't own the game, so I probably won't get it)

Are any or all of these worth it?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:38:32 PM »
Personally, I would really go for the Super Mario All-Stars guide because it's probably pretty rare. Since you don't have Super Mario Galaxy (the game), I would recommend getting that as well.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and say no on all of them. I don't know anything about the rarity of the SMAS guide, but $40 for a strategy guide is probably way overpriced. Those MKWii and SMG guides are about normal price, but strategy guides nowadays don't usually include any extras whatsoever (such as posters or concept art) and are typically not worth the paper they're printed on.

And that's before considering the fact that I detest the very idea of a book that tells you exactly how to play through a video game.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »
Since the SMAS guide is both a reference tool and a collector's item, it's probably the most reccomendable of the three (provided that you're willing to shell out forty bucks for something which cost ten a decade-and-a-half ago). Mario Kart games are straightforward enough that you wouldn't be checking the guide regularly for anything but the "how to unlock everything" section. Finally, do yourself a favour and pick up both Galaxy and the guidebook next time you're able to. The Prima guidebook comes in three editions: Regular, Premiere and Collector's, the last of which contains rare character and concept art, but is no longer available in most stores.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »
If I had money, I probably wouldn't be able to turn down the SMAS guide. I don't know about the Galaxy guide, but the MKW one has a poster of this:

None of them rival the deal I got, though. Best Buy had SimCity 4 guides for a penny one day. I don't know why.

"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:29:50 AM »
I remember paying $40 for Nintendo Power's *official* SMRPG guide. It turned out to be indispensible, since everything from turning the Mystery Egg into the Sheep Attack with the B'Tub Ring to finding the one-chance hidden chest is Toadstool's castle would be impossible to discover otherwise.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »
I almost never buy game guides when most of the information contained in them can be found on the internet.

That said, I'd go for the SMAS guide.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »
The SMAS one contains 4 games with level maps (the SMB2 ones would be especially helpful), so I'm thinking $35 is reasonable.

Also, I'm already double-starred in MKW, so do you think it'd be worth $12 to try to triple-star the remaining 24 GPs and further improve my Time Trials and multiplayer skills?

BTW, another caveat: I'm moving to college in a few weeks and I won't have a Wii with me, but I have SMAS on my PC and at home.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »
I remember getting game guides back in the day. Half of the reason was to be able to get 100% on the games (and figure out what the darn password is to the Sunken Ship in SMRPG - I actually had to call the Nintendo Power Hotline for that one, and they just gave it out as if "stop asking us about it, here's your answer, now move on to some other part of the game please". The guide is similarly straightforward so you don't go through the drama of the clues). The other half was to marvel at the artwork and whatever extras were available. Oh yeah, and finding out what the heck that Mystery Egg and B'Tub Ring are for like Weegee said.

In retrospect, it was more fun hearing about these secrets from the neighbor who happened to be playing the same game you are. Then you exclaim "this game gets deeper all the time!"

Regarding the guides I thought were the most useless, Mario Kart 64 and Wave Race: Blue Storm. They're not going to tell you anything you don't know as long as you know all the shortcuts and best line through the track. Yeah, there's also unlockables and "best times to beat" (which amused me to no end when I used MK64's shortcut for Frappe Snowland, easily beating the pro time in the back of the book considering every other track had them using shortcuts - Frappe Snowland had the one shortcut they missed), but again you probably already know about those. I guess the only reason I'd be interesting in them is to see a topdown view of the racetrack. I'd especially like to see that for an Extreme-G game considering how they twist and turn. I also thought the Star Fox 64 guide was useless. Pretty much all it tells you is where to be or what to do to score big, but no, it still relies on fast reflexes. I followed NP's advice and still couldn't get those medals. Then a YouTube video makes it look pathetically easy. The maps they have aren't too helpful either considering how vague they are. I suppose when 3D games came along, map-making became a lot tougher. The old guides for 2D platform or action games like SMB3 and SMW2 were great because they could print the map directly and then just point to spots on it to tell you exactly where each tip applies to. In the guides for 3D games, we might get a number and then a little box two pages away corresponding to it. Or in the case of RPGs, no number and you just have to follow the series of boxes to figure out where in the sequence of events you are.

But the thing that really annoys me about guides is when it's for a game that has you collect stuff and they have a checklist in the guide (or a checklist of event points to hit). Let alone the likelyhood that I'll forget what I have and haven't collected, trying to re-collect old stuff because I forgot which one thing out of 20 is missing, I'm not going to write in my guide. Who knows, I might play the game again in the future. Last thing I want is to open the guide and see a series of checkmarks on each page. They would just taunt me, and it probably ruins the value of selling it off to someone else.

By the way, Super Mario All-Stars guide looks like the best guide ever if it's what I think it is. I glanced at the Mario Mania guide and was disappointed that it's basically a Super Mario World guide, SMB1-3 instruction manual, and a few misc pages (granted, interesting stuff like a comparison of Mario's jumping and running in the different games, but there's not a lot of it). I was thinking it'd be a full guide of all four of those games. So this is probably what I was thinking of. I remember back in the day of renting NES games from Half-Price Books at the mall, there were two player's guides for SMB2, one for each half of the game.

Edit: If anyone remembers getting SimCity 3000 Unlimited and seeing the 226-page manual that came with it... that's not a manual, that's a frickin' novel serving as a strategy guide. I think the manuals for flight simulator games are even longer. Wonder if anyone who played those games thought they might as well be doing the real thing, since I'd consider it work to get through a manual of that size.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:47:27 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »
I agree with most of that. I do have Mario Mania, and treasure it, even in its increasingly decrepit state.

There was an All-Stars guide? Makes sense, though I've never heard of it. Definitely sounds rare--and worth the price, if this is all about collecting (the only reason I can really see to buy a player's guide--especially one for a retro game--in this day and age).

I've got lots of guides, all with varying degrees of rarity. I used to try to get them for all the games that had Official Nintendo guides, more because they were almost like a Cliff's Notes for the game in case I even wanted to just go back and rekindle some memories (or something like that). Nowadays, with there not being that many games I want to buy and even less that I can't just get decent info online for (I was strongly considering getting the pocket Pokemon D/P Pokedex, but now I think periodic checks on Serebii will take care of any leveling-up issues I have)--plus my own realization that all that money really should be spent on, you know, games--I don't really buy guides anymore. Of course, the guide+game deal at stores is always a possibility, but like I said, I don't really need the help as much as I used to think I might (plus, K-Mart totally *******ized the cover of Wind Waker and Wario World when I bought those there on said deal). It also irritates me that NoA stopped making guides, but maybe it's for the best. After all, Prima makes those cool "Collector's Edition" ones that seriously made me want to get a guide for games I've already beaten.

Someday, I'll start collecting guides. And consoles, and portables, and games...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:28:16 AM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »
I remember some of my Mario game guides...

I got the MK:DD prima game guide...wow, so many mistakes it's not even funny. Prima used to be notoursly bad at making guides, but they've gotten better. Though not a Mario guide, everyone knows the famous Official NOA AC:WW guide. Over like, 70 mistakes or something that Nintendo made, including a picture that includes an item you'd normally need AR to get.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
Well, the folks at Nintendo Power can't edit to save their lives, so no surprises there... what was the item, anyway?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 06:10:51 PM »
The only one I'm still realistically considering getting is the SMAS one.  I also plan on purchasing M&L 3 and NSMB Wii (and likely the corresponding NP guides) soon after release.

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 06:15:27 PM »
(and likely the corresponding NP guides)

Nintendo Power hasn't produced a guidebook in nearly two years. Aside from more-comprehensive RPG item listings and whatnot, NP guides couldn't really hold a candle to its competitors anyway.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
Nintendo Power hasn't produced a guidebook in nearly two years. Aside from more-comprehensive RPG item listings and whatnot, NP guides couldn't really hold a candle to its competitors anyway.

I meant the Prima guides, my mistake.

Print