Print

Author Topic: Mario War  (Read 7471 times)

« on: August 12, 2000, 09:26:31 AM »
I had an idea a long time ago and I'm gonna tell you what it is. Does anyone agree with me that sometimes Mario is too kiddish? Don't get me wrong I LOVE Mario but I always thought they should make a Mario game like Goldeneye, where it shows Bowser invading the Mushroom Kingdom at 2 A.M. with silenced weapons and stuff and you'd have to defeat Bowser in an all out war. Does anybody else think the same?
Vipers Attack!

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2000, 11:01:11 AM »
"Yoshi's Island" is definitely too kiddish.  "Mario" creator Shigeru Miyamoto says that upcoming mario games will be more "mature," like "Final Fantasy VII."  "Mario" used to be more serious, but they have "kidded it up" since the classic games.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2000, 01:28:11 PM »
I like the kiddish material acctually, I don't think it'll be the same mario if we see blood or any real weapons, maybe if it was a little more dramatic but i think your pushing it with the weapons and swearing. it wouldn't be the same mario with blood, swearing, and realistic violence.

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2000, 01:40:59 PM »
Yoshi's Story was very childish, and Paper Mario Story looks disappointing.

Let's not swing from one extreme to another, though.  Somehow the thought of Bowser storming on the Mushroom Kingdom in a panzer with battalions of kamikaze Goombas doesn't strike me as 'fun'.  I can just imagine Mario and Luigi carrying their M16s and lobbing grenades while wading through chest-deep water and dodging shrapnel.  Come on, people,  that's just not Mario.  If you want to play Goldeneye, play Goldeneye.  I agree that the series is falling by the juvanile side, but surely Mr. Miyamoto can be more creative than you give him credit.
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2000, 02:52:51 PM »
Hey,hey people. I didn't mean any swearing or blood and guts, I just wanted a more realistic game where the all Bowser does is throw banana peels at the princess. I know Mario is un-replaceable, I didn't want it EXACTLY like Goldeneye. I wanted it less violent but more realistic. I'm sorry if you though differently. Sorry about the mixup
Vipers Attack!

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2000, 03:38:08 PM »
I'm not saying "Mario" should be like "Duke Nukem," I just think there's a reasonable medium between hand grenades and magic honeydew melons.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2000, 11:09:39 AM »
All right. I'm sorry, I don't think I want to see Mario with hand grenades and proximity bombs. Also, swearing, blood, guts, and gore don't really go with Mario. I'll agree that Yoshi's Story was very kiddish, and Yoshi's Island could have stood *a little* less crayon, but no, I really think Mario Nukem is going too far. In fact, to be honest, I actually don't even approve so far of this "mature Mario" business. Oh, and if anyone cares, I'm not trying to offend anybody.
Woohoo.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2000, 12:41:18 PM »
WHAT DID I JUST SAY?!!I do NOT want blood and guts and hand grenades!!
Vipers Attack!

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2000, 06:16:54 PM »
Woah.. I know what you said. I just told you I wasn't trying to offend anyone. It was an..um.. late opinion, not even geared twords you. (Panics)
Woohoo.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2000, 10:02:23 AM »
I'm sorry Yoshi. I just heard the proximity bombs and hand grenades so I got mad because everyone said that. My apologies.

Vipers Attack!
Vipers Attack!

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2000, 01:54:46 PM »
OK, I understand you guys aren't talking about blood and guts and hand grenades.  However, I was wondering what you mean by more realistic.  If Mario games were realistic, they wouldn't be any fun! ; )

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2000, 02:04:00 PM »
I want Bowser to do more than call the princess "nasty names". I want him to be a more evil villain. I don't want it to be like exactly 100% realistic. I just want it a little more. I'm thinking about dropping this topic because it has been controversial.

Vipers Attack!
Vipers Attack!

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2000, 10:26:15 PM »
I want two things to change in Mario: I want a flowing plot, one that makes sense. No more Yoshi Island plot curve-balls. And I want more realistic and difficult games. No, I don't mean Golden Eye. I mean something like Zelda64.

-TurtleTek
www.extremesc.com/turtletek/beam

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2000, 01:37:56 PM »
Controversy is good... ; )

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2000, 06:07:17 PM »
I guess this whole topic depends on what you mean by "Mario games"... it seems that people are unhappy with the "cuteness" of recent Mario games (there is no such word as "kiddish", folks).

Some recent Mario spin-off games have been extremely "cute" -- Yoshi's Story comes to mind. On the other hand, Mario Golf and Super Smash Bros. (which I see as a Mario spin-off) have a mixture of graphical styles. Mario Golf is, in fact, quite realistic, but with cartoon-style characters. The last _real_ Mario game we've had is Super Mario 64, which was hardly in the same genre as Super Mario Bros./World.

Mario games are designed in a certain style, with characters that are supposed to _look_ like they are animated. That, in and of itself, does not result in an "overly cute" game -- if it did, all animated films would be "kids' stuff", which is insane. Mario isn't a realistic human, but a cartoon character of sorts.

Mario games may well become more realistic, and thus may change in design somewhat. For some examples of more mature level design, take a look at the Ghost House level of Super Mario 64; it's a typical Mario game level, but it is designed with a much moodier atmosphere. Most of the Bowser levels are also much more "moody". The final Bowser battle in SMW2: Yoshi's Island is NOT overly cute, but even somewhat dramatic. The only "overly cute" game I've seen yet is Yoshi's Island, which seems to have been designed with that goal in mind.

Anyway... there is NO such word as "kiddish", nor "funner". Besides, even if a game seems "too cute" for you, what does it matter as long as the game itself is still FUN? That's the mistake many make... "if it isn't graphically violent, dark, moody, and filled with sexual overtones, it isn't any good"; the same thing happened to movies in the late 60's through today, and the same mistake many gamers made in purchasing the PSX.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Print