Print

Author Topic: Female game portayals  (Read 21650 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2006, 07:48:03 AM »
Well, Donkey Kong was, as you most likely know, an homage to/parody of King Kong. Besides, I never objected to that plot. I guess what I would consider a truw change is an actual female role model in a game. Most game developers throw in a token "tough" female character and say "Oh, she's, like, a mechanic. I mean, she still gets kidnapped and there's still numerous opprtunities to see her in lingerie, but she's still a role model."
It's just like how they might make a GTA ripoff and add bullet time to make it "unique". It's really the same thing.
every

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2006, 09:14:08 AM »
I still don't think there really is a problem until the female gamers of the world rise up and attack some studio just to get thier point across.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 10:15:26 AM »
I think solids right about G4. I mean I like to watch X-Play occasionally and of course E3. But the comercials are outragious.
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 01:15:05 PM »
I stopped watching G4 after The Man Show was added to the schedule.

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 08:02:06 PM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:24:19 AM by DekuSamurai »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 11:50:39 PM »
>That pink-haired girl, from FF6 (or was it FF4?, SNES & PS1).   I haven't played it in several years, so I don't actually remember her name (or which game it was)... but I remember her being able to fight well, she was a pirate, and at first everyone thought she was a male, even.
Faris from FFV. Along with Galuf and Gilgamesh, one of the best characters in any Final Fantasy game.

>Terra, from FF3/FF5 (SNES & PS1).  She was a magician, but she did lead the party and seemed independent enough.
Terra's from FF3 (US) / FFVI. Though, she's not really just a magician, as she's one of the few female protagonists to use a sword.

That said, there are many games that use sex appeal to sell, and there are many that don't. I feel that perhaps we'll see a shift in some genres to be more accepting to the female audience, as it seems that they as well as other "non-gamers" are being focused on by particular companies. I don't think we'll see an end to games like Dead or Alive, however. Not that I feel it's particularly a bad thing.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:40 AM »
Well, let's see... I'll point out the Gerudo. In OoT, they were fierce warriors, but thieves... In MM, the pirates of Termina (the alternate universe replicas of Hyrule's Gerudo) were all still female, yet still warriors and thieves. One of the Zoras commented that he was near their fortress because they were all beautiful, and the fisherman ONLY trades the seahorse if you bring him a photo of a pirate. Oh well, I didn't think much of it until I got to this topic.
Anyone else notice that 4/6 sages in OoT were female? Impa is an exception, I suppose... All who thought she was a man at first glance post "aye." Sorry 'bout spoilers.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 09:10:43 AM »
>Any female Paper Mario partners.

I don't know about that. Other than the sex appeal part, they fit into a few stereotypes. Vivian summoned fire, sort of like a mage, Goombella's heal attack was in the form of a heart, and  Bombette was pink. Then again, I'm stretching it a bit so you might be right.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006, 01:57:40 PM »
But Vivian's a guy.
This is a secret coded message.

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2006, 01:57:57 PM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:23:09 AM by DekuSamurai »

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 11:55:21 PM »
But Vivian's a guy.

LIEZ!

At least in the U.S.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2006, 12:23:58 AM »
Sorry man, Vivian is NO guy. Only in Japan... I wonder what the Japanese really think about this. Yes, I know their standards are far different from ours, but how far?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2006, 05:27:01 PM »
I remember hearing that there are a few bits of text in the japanese version that refer to Vivian as a 'she' and that Goombrella was that only one who ever actually stated that she was really male. So maybe Vivian has no gender. Like Yoshi.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2006, 11:15:59 PM »
Vivian is a guy whether you like it or not. USA localized versions of games are the messed up ones, not the Japanese versions.
P.S. Mr. Wiggles and DekuSamurai, do you consider all the Bob-Omb Buddies in SM64 to be female?
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2006, 06:01:32 PM »
I know what you mean Chupperson. It's because of that that things like the Zelda timeline are hard to figure out(just using it as an example) in which the Seven Wise Men are actually supposed to be called Sages. Then you have games like Earthbound, which has a crapload of changes both understandable and downright confusing.

Odd Fact: Some of the things that were changed from Mother 2 to Earthbound were not retained in the Earthbound references in SSBM. (Such as The Runaway Five's coloring and the Drug Store sign).

Print