Print

Author Topic: Relationdukars  (Read 79350 times)

« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »
Pint of chocolate milk.

And tears.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »
It doesn't matter. I don't actually drink. :P

« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2014, 01:02:49 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZIfop04DWM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZIfop04DWM</a>
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »
I've never watched Young Turks... do they always make that big of a dork of themselves?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »
That's kind of a vague statement but I think I get what you mean. I watch them regularly and Cenk (the guy) has a habit of making really lame or forced jokes at the expense of the story's subject. Sometimes it's extremely cringy, like how he tried to mimic a Japanese guy in that video. I still prefer him over about 95% of news personalities because when he wants to be serious he is dead serious, but other times I definitely wish he'd just stop.

« Reply #290 on: January 27, 2014, 06:03:56 PM »
I didn't used to mind them, but find they've gotten too... tumblry in recent years.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »
"Tumblry" is definitely gonna be my go-to adjective for the English and Gender Studies departments at my school.  And most of the student population, of course.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:44 PM »
I'm more partial to "Tumblresque" myself.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
Sounds like UW to me.

« Reply #294 on: February 01, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
Gender studies students made Tumblr what it is so I think you're putting the cart before the horse by describing them as "Tumblry." But I get what you mean. Most gender studies majors use Tumblr because the way it's formatted is ideal for spreading their ideas and theories.

« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
That is, it's difficult to leave critical comments because questions are lost amidst the hundreds of reblogs.

« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »
Pretty much, yeah. Although to be fair I find it hard to disagree with some of the points they're making. It's just difficult to discern between the "attention seeking" posts, e.g., "I identify as a queer non-binary lesbian transman and if you're a cisgendered white male you need to check your privileged or gtfo" (an obvious straw man, but I've seen some [dukar], man), and the ones that are genuinely trying to draw attention to a legitimate problem in society because you can't really access original posts directly and you can't check to see if anyone has cited their sources.

4chan is basically the same for males though and it's not like anything worthwhile gets posted there.

« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »
Two of my friends that I've known for a while (and the guy is one of my best friends, the girl would be if I talked to her more) broke up, and I'm kind of bummed out about it. I liked that they were together for so long because it was a way of reassuring me that maybe I could find that someday. And look how it turned out. The breakup was for the better, though.
Relics.

« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
Sounds like the relationship just wasn't working for them, which can always happen. That's no reason to think you won't find a strong bond with someone; your relationships will last by the strength, will, and dedication of your partner and yourself. Like you said about your friends' relationship ending, it was for the better.

I remember Louis C.K. saying something similar about marriage: "Divorce is always good news. I know that sounds weird, but it’s true because no good marriage has ever ended in divorce … That would be sad. If two people were married and they were really and they just had a great thing and then they got divorced, that would be really sad. But that has happened zero times."
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »
Pretty much, yeah. Although to be fair I find it hard to disagree with some of the points they're making. It's just difficult to discern between the "attention seeking" posts, e.g., "I identify as a queer non-binary lesbian transman and if you're a cisgendered white male you need to check your privileged or gtfo" (an obvious straw man, but I've seen some [dukar], man), and the ones that are genuinely trying to draw attention to a legitimate problem in society because you can't really access original posts directly and you can't check to see if anyone has cited their sources.

4chan is basically the same for males though and it's not like anything worthwhile gets posted there.
All of this. Privileged or not, there's some loud jerks in any faction.

Also, my condolences on the breakup-adjacent, Thor. I had a similar moment when my best friend's girlfriend of three years dumped him...

Print