Print

Author Topic: Nintendo earns major awards at AIAS...  (Read 1591 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: March 03, 2003, 10:10:56 AM »
Taken from Nintendo.com news article:

Nintendo Sweeps Major Awards Ceremony
Feb/28/03 12:00 PST

Seven Top Awards; Wins Demonstrate Innovation Still Captures Gamers' Hearts

LAS VEGAS, NV, Feb. 28, 2003 – In a city known for high stakes wins, Nintendo walked away with seven major coveted awards for superior achievement in the multi-billion dollar video game entertainment business at the 2003 Interactive Achievement Awards at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas.

The gala ceremony, held by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences (AIAS), is attended by the industry's elite and is the one annual event where creators are recognized for their works of art and voted on by their peers.

Despite the stiff competition – many of them top-selling games – it was clear by the votes that Nintendo's continued ability to innovate and create new ways of experiencing gaming is still held in the highest regard.

Nintendo's Animal Crossing for the Nintendo GameCube, earned three awards, including: ‘Innovation in Console Gaming;' ‘Console RPG Game of the Year;' and ‘Outstanding Achievement in Game Design.'

In addition, AIAS honored Metroid Prime, also for Nintendo GameCube, in the ‘First Person Action Game of the Year' category.

Mario Party 4 a hysterical multi-player game, won ‘Family Game of the Year,' and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, the first true psychological thriller, received the ‘Outstanding Achievement in Character or Story' award.

In the portable category, Metroid Fusion blasted its way to ‘Handheld Game of the Year.'

"As an artist, the only way I know how to make a great game is to go by my intuition and heart," explains Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, the world's renowned video game master and senior managing director of all software for the company. "To win over and over in just one evening stunned our whole team. We're overwhelmed."

Nintendo takes extra pride in the recognition of its second-party development partners, Retro Studios of Austin, Texas, developer of Metroid Prime; and Silicon Knights of Ontario, Canada, developer of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Both titles are exclusive to Nintendo GameCube and earned critical acclaim in a variety of print and online publications during 2002.

Located in Los Angeles, CA, the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences (AIAS) is an official professional academy of the $9+ billion interactive entertainment software industry. AIAS is supported by the industry's leading companies and counts among its board of directors representatives from Activision, Bioware Entertainment, Electronic Arts, Ensemble Studios, Infogrames, Insomniac Games, the Interactive Digital Software Association, Microsoft, Nintendo of America, Oddworld Inhabitants, Sony Computer Entertainment America, Sierra Entertainment, and Carnegie Mellon University.
---------------------------------------------
FINALLY! Nintendo has gotten the recognition and respect they deserve! I knew it would happen eventually... Now let's hope that they can continue their success with the release of the Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 02:06:59 AM »
There was no doubt.
I just hope the upcoming big name games (like Star Fox Armada) are as good as all the ones we've been treated to since the GCN release.

I fear the monkey in your soul.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 10:35:54 AM »
Great! I like the sound of all that. It's about time Nintendo got some recognition for their recent astounding games.

Congratulations Nintendo!

An animator once saw a street bum, "Mario" Pedianni, and wanted to use his likeness in a cartoon, offering him a percentage of all future royalties or a bottle of cheap scotch. Pedianni took the scotch. Nothing''s stupider than a skid row plumber.
An animator once saw a street bum, "Mario" Pedianni, and wanted to use his likeness in a cartoon, offering him a percentage of all future royalties or a bottle of cheap scotch. Pedianni took the scotch. Nothing''s stupider than a skid row plumber.

Print