Print

Author Topic: All right now who do ya want in Smash Bros. 4  (Read 35847 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
@ BP:

I'm kind of sad your roster has no F-ZERO characters on it.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »
Man, good thing this isn't a fighting game we're talking about.
Later entries in fighting game franchises don't have to make previous iterations obsolete. People still play Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Street Fighter III. People still play The King of Fighters '98 and 2002. Hell, there's still a fanbase for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »
Look at how big a jump it was from MvC2 to MvC3. The latter uses an entirely different graphics engine and a brand new button layout.

Heck, even MvC1's button layout was different from MvC2's. It's one of the reasons I like MvC1 better.

So yeah, this is all just adding to BP's point that fighting game sequels should be more than just roster expansions.

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »
What are we counting as 'unique'? Because I'd say that the difference between the three entries in the Street Fighter 4, and the fact you had to pay for each makes them unique, is little more than character additions and updates.  And that's fine. But I doubt you'll find very many competitions for Street Fighter 4 prime.  Smash already changes a good amount each game without changing so much so as to be convincingly a new series. It gives moderate graphics boost, a bunch more levels (in a game where the levels actually matter), more chars, items, modes.

I can't explain MK3, though, that's just awful.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »
I'm kind of sad your roster has no F-ZERO characters on it.

Maybe I forgot, maybe I didn't. It wouldn't really matter to me either way if he was in and actually done right, or just plain gone. The stages would have to stick, though. They're cool, they do the games justice.

And you want Mega Man in it? King of the "You know what to do already" genre?

Playing the same and BEING the same are... not the same. Mega Man games actually prove my point, they take the same concept, give Mega Man new powers, throw away the old ones, add new bosses, throw away the old ones... add new stages, throw away the old ones... thank you. Being like a Mega Man sequel is exactly what I want in SSB4.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:27:38 PM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STk3jPQVjK0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STk3jPQVjK0</a>

Sega Satan shiro!
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
I really don't get the mindset that having a huge roster in Smash 4 would somehow make Brawl any more obsolete than Brawl made Melee or Melee made Smash64.  Die hards still have Melee tournaments.  If you want to keep playing Brawl, Smash 4 having a huge awesome roster won't stop you from playing Brawl or make it "obsolete."

In the Smash Bros. games I'd say the level line-up is just as important as the character line-up, and with each installment that HAS changed drastically from game to game, with only a small handful of past levels returning.  Not only that, but the fighting engine itself changes with each installment, so I wouldn't worry about Smash 4 being a cookie-cutter sequel, unless they change their development style for it.
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
Melee absolutely made 64 obsolete and improved on it in all ways. If you're not REALLY picky about the physics and pace (and if you also don't have that much of a bone for Mewtwo and Roy) then there's not a lot Melee has that Brawl doesn't.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »
Die hards still have Melee tournaments.
Die hards

In other words, it's obsolete as far as normal people are concerned.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »
It's a good thing the crowd that cares about whether the new SSB is obsolete probably can't be considered "normal," then.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2011, 11:05:04 PM »
If you do care that much about the physics and stuff then you get the better end of the deal, because Melee and Brawl will be very different games for you--it's just, they also want to "upgrade to the new one" and let the old one catch dust, so they don't think of it that way. They just play the one they're most used to because they don't want to bother learning to play two games.
It's YOUR problem!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2011, 11:44:59 PM »
Melee absolutely made 64 obsolete and improved on it in all ways. If you're not REALLY picky about the physics and pace (and if you also don't have that much of a bone for Mewtwo and Roy) then there's not a lot Melee has that Brawl doesn't.

I wouldn't say Melee obsoleted the original. There are many awesome things in it that haven't returned in Melee, including several stages, attacks, items (the Bumper especially), and Board the Platforms.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2011, 12:54:41 AM »
Melee made the original obsolete for tournament play, where the only thing you mentioned that would ever come up is the attacks that were changed between games.

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2011, 12:58:22 AM »
Really, Original Ness made the original obsolete for tournament play.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2011, 02:03:21 AM »
Worth playing once or twice to see/remember what it was like is not what I'm talking about here.
It's YOUR problem!

Print