Poll

After reading the below post, would you support the creation of this board?

Yes
No
Print

Author Topic: A proposal for a new Fungi Forums board  (Read 12941 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »
Over the past few days, there has been talk in #tmk about the state of our Fungi Forums. Several members that come to #tmk have complained about the quality of topics and how hard it is to find a topic where it is worthwile to post. I have an idea to make this easier, as well as to clean up existing boards. A new board would be created specifically for forum games and other so-called "pointless" topics, and all the existing topics fitting this description would be moved there. (This board would be similar to the "spam" boards popular these days on many other forums.) Forum Games and Stories would go back to being the Story Boards and would be used only for stories. General Chat would be used mainly as it is now, with the main change being a tighter focus on actual discussion of things that would not fit within the other boards. This new board would have a moderator appointed to it, and his or her main task would be to enforce the existing rules of the Fungi Forums. Due to the nature of this board, posts would not count towards one's post count (does a single word or image really count as a full post?). I believe that keeping these types of posts there would lead to General Chat and Story Boards growing in quality within their areas, and would make it easier for members who enjoy these topics to find and post in them.

So. What do you all think?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »
Single words and just a picture do not count as posts!

A good post is something that is full of quality, not something that goes "Lololololol!!!!11!!!1! Mah finegrs r bleedin'!!!1!!1!" I forget what I said in the chatroom, but I wanted to say it here, too.

Posts that should count toward the post total of a user should be of higher quality than either including one word, images, or the example given above. They should add to the ideas of the poster above them, or be relevant to the topic at hand.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:33:13 PM »
* Bird Person closes Post Reply tab for "I'm Going Away!" topic
It would cut the post count of many members and the board as a whole, yes, but post count is not important. What's important is the contributions of the members. I personally feel like this whole message board has sunken into The Depths. It's got to end.
The idea of splitting games from stories is excellent--my previous ramblings may have offended story-writers (dreadfully sorry Area 64, I wasn't complaining about stories before). I don't even see how they got mixed; it's probably because those RPGs could be viewed as either. Fan fiction is far from spam... if the story is good, of course. ;D
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:37:55 PM »
I don't know if I am following you correctly, but if I am, that sounds pretty pointless. It sounds like you want to move Forum Games and Stories to a new board, which really would serve no purpose at all. It's like emptying your basket of apples into a new, empty basket. The basket which primarily contained the apples would be Story Boards.

I think the real problem here is a proportional lack of quality members and quality threads/posts.

If I'm not getting your message, please enlighten me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:41:30 PM by bobman37 »

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »
LOL! What a silly idea! You're so SILLY, MaxVance! ^_^ v

err... I mean...

This would be a great idea, but what do the moderators think of it? Also, yes, it's not that the boards are dumb, it's that some of the people that inhabit them are.

I agree that the one-word one-emoticon one-drawing-or-sprite thing is annoying as all get out and is getting pretty old, pretty fast.

Even if the proposal doesn't go through, even getting a little organization would be better. Maybe a weighted karma system?
"Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does" -WarpRattler

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 08:41:51 PM »
I don't know if I am following you correctly, but if I am, that sounds pretty pointless. It sounds like you want to move Forum Games and Stories to a new board, which really would serve no purpose at all. It's like emptying your basket of apples into a new, empty basket. The basket which primarily contained the apples would be Story Boards.

I think the real problem here is a proportional lack of quality members and quality threads/posts.
No, just the games in FG&S (as well as topics like them in other boards) would be moved to the new board. FG&S would then be used only for stories and General Chat would be used for topics about which there could be discussion. I believe making them this way would lead to new and better topics and posts in these boards.

it's not that the boards are dumb, it's that some of the people that inhabit them are.
I don't think it's so much the people or the boards, but rather each individual topic.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:44:17 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 08:46:54 PM »
I also tend to think that quarantining things that often leave a bad taste in our mouths isn't that great of an idea, but I'm all for organization. It's this feeling of guilt that would be created that bugs me. We've got some good games, after all.

In some cases, a picture and a few words are all that is required-- but not in General Chat.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
I like the idea.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »
This seems like a very good idea. I mean, I'm really sick of not posting in the very view good FG&S boards, as I don't want my post count for that area to go up. Additionally, I tend to avoid Fan Fictions in the Forum Games & Stories board because of the general crap that comes from that area. Then again, Suffix makes a point, we are trying to invalidate a very largely populated part of the forums. But still, we aren't plotting to get rid of that particular area. We're just organizing it all.

Also, I must say, fighting over post counts. Deezer is the creator of this site and has a small amount of posts when compared to some other members who are only normal users.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 09:32:23 PM »
Additionally, I tend to avoid Fan Fictions in the Forum Games & Stories board because of the general crap that comes from that area. Then again, Suffix makes a point, we are trying to invalidate a very largely populated part of the forums. But still, we aren't plotting to get rid of that particular area. We're just organizing it all.
Very well put. My thoughts exactly. I guess my problem with the idea was that MaxVance was trying to get rid of that particular area, and I didn't see how that solved the problem.

As Suffix said, organization is good.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 09:48:05 PM »
I do like the idea of having a section devoted for just fanfiction and RPGs.  I stopped checking on the FG&S because it's become more games than stories.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 09:53:04 PM »
Woohoo, It's been done. However, I must say that the current name for this new designation is a bit disrespectful.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »
MaxVance for Pres. '08

Err. I'm all in for the idea. I think it'd be great. The separation of Forum Games from Stories would be excellent for both traditional members and FG&S-only members. The traditional members won't have to see anymore of what they believe to be nonsense and nothing but lol and pointlessness. On the other hand, the Forum Games members still get what they want. And all in all, no members will be lost, and possibly many more gained. I think there really isn't a bad side to this idea at all. Plus, it'd help the board get more organized, which, unless you're OCD, could really help this place out. Not saying that no one isn't doing their job here, but it'll create a positive environment for the Traditionalists and maintain a positive environment for the Forum Gamers.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 09:57:21 PM »
As you can see, we have created a new board.  We're working on moving topics, but here are the criteria for the new boards:

Fan Creations
Individually written, full-effort fan fiction
Original artwork, animations/videos, music compositions, and the like
Serious discussion of such matter

FG&S
Games
RPGs
Create-a-story threads (add a word, sentence, etc)
Short, successive post threads, including picture threads
Posts will not be counted in this section

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 10:10:19 PM »
Who knew it would be this easy? This is rockin', Mß.
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »
Well, I'm glad to see this happen. It looks like it'll take a while for the dust to settle on this, since there are a lot of stories that need to be moved out of Eclipsed Moon's Love Shack.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 11:09:49 PM »
Not to derail this topic too, but are you kidding me?! They are not actually going to call that board that, are they??
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 11:16:12 PM »
I'm sure it's a temporary "name."

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 06:51:31 AM »
I begrudgingly voted Yes because technically I do support the creation of a board that separates fanfics from games. They are indeed fundamentally different organisms and deserve to be classified as such. But you guys are supporting it for completely wrong reasons to solve a completely wrong problem.

Moving "user created material" out of General Chat won't magically create "general" discussions. You make it sound like the other threads in General were either distracting members and making them waste their "posting time" writing there and not elsewhere (which especially makes no sense because we're talking just intra-General) or that the other threads were "clogging up" and somehow obscuring people from physically finding the "chatting" threads of General. I don't know what view of the intelligence or laziness you have of our users, but I have faith that every one of them can find the type of thread they want in General Chat, no matter how mixed with "fan creations" threads. Nay, the reason there aren't many "general chats" is twofold, one natural and one unnatural.

Naturally, people are sort of afraid to make a new topic. I've noticed this from the very beginning, ever since I started posting. Many of the best members I've ever seen virtually never created a thread. They responded frequently and wonderfully to almost every thread, but most of these threads were random creations of n00bs. Just as the great whales need plankton to eat, the forum heavy hitters required a tiny insignificant member to come by and, without inhibition, create a thread for them to post in. If you look at current trends, we see two things. First, most of the threads sitting around right now were actually created by whales and not plankton. Second, there are a lot less of them. This is because in its eight or so years, the Fungi Forums has both matured (average age of "regulars") and become a lot more hostile toward plankton-type people. One of my favorite guys from the old days was named Marionut#1, a plankton for sure. He was cool, funny, and had a bunch of interesting things to say. His posts always had a lot of mistakes, though, and he liked to play around in "roleplaying" threads. He would have been ripped to shreds in today's environment, never showing any of his true potential. It's hard for young plankton to stick around because they find less regulars to talk to about things at their age level, because we mock their stupid theories of the Mario universe, because we mercilessly warn and whine about every typo and forum faux pas they make, because we chastise their inability to understand our esoteric jokes, because we slap them with cruel custom titles within days of their joining. If they do miraculously manage to stay, they are driven to stories and to games, because it's the only thing that feels comfortable and, God forbid, fun! No one makes fun of their typing there either! And whether they leave or go to the games, they definitely aren't creating discussion topics for us whales.

Unnaturally, there are a lot less "general chats" than in the Good Old Days because ANGST and HOPEFUL absorb tons of discussions. Events that someone previously would have created a thread about instead go to one of these places if the event is bad or good. That covers a lot of events! So instead of lots of various Topics Where It Is Worthwile To Post, we have two über-threads with triple digit page counts. There are two problems with this. First, we have a small number of "general chat" threads, and this is what you people are seeing and crying about (also helped by the natural reason above). Second, and the much more subtle and insidious of the problems, whenever a "general chat" of a single topic starts to occur in ANGST or HOPEFUL, either someone happens to bring up a completely unrelated ANGST or HOPEFUL event and changes the discussion (which destroys the old one because they are in the same thread) or someone (often thread-creator Bird Person) comes in and says, "You guys need to stop this general chatting in my thread where you're supposed to just name random bad events that happened to you." which really illustrates why ANGST and HOPEFUL are just as pointless and random as, well, The Pointless Topic! They absorb and destroy general chats. Not even Pointless does that.

And speaking of Pointless, let's talk about post counts. People here are dredging up convoluted philosophical inquiries into the Essence of Posts, whether a single word or picture can achieve the lauded designation of Full Post. People here lie awake at night, clutching tightly their bedsheets as they seethe - seethe! - over GiftedGirl's post-by-board percentage and gnash furiously their teeth - gnash! - at the idea that their thoughtful 500-word essay on Middle School Graduation earned them the same amount of Awesomeness (also known as +1 to a number) as one sentence, Added To The Story. Pause now, pause and remember that We The People last Christmas voted a solitary picture as Post of the Year, voted a thread that chews up and spits out general chat as Topic of the Year, voted a message that reminded us to Be Ourselves as Best Signature when now we take away people's posts for posting where they want to. Our Best Custom Title served nothing but to degrade a member. Our Cleverest Poster can't even think of a good joke to put here.

Indignant people! I say to thee! Look at yourself. This is ridiculous. Carving out boards where posts Do Not Count!? Have you lost the true meaning of what foruming is all about? It's not about caring that people get high numbers. That's what MMOs are for. It's not about punishing people for finding different styles of threads fun. That's what religion is for. It's not about who has the longest post. That's what sex is for.

It's about posting words that others will find fun to read, reading words that others found fun to post, hanging out with your friends, and making new ones too. It's not about our numbers, it's about our hearts.

Let's eliminate post counts from the board completely. They serve no purpose and only drive us apart. Who's with me?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 07:22:38 AM »
Naturally, people are sort of afraid to make a new topic. I've noticed this from the very beginning, ever since I started posting. Many of the best members I've ever seen virtually never created a thread.
Guilty. I dunno. I don't post all that many topics mainly because I never have any good topic ideas. Guess the lack of good topics is therefore my fault, too?
or someone (often thread-creator Bird Person) comes in and says, "You guys need to stop this general chatting in my thread where you're supposed to just name random bad events that happened to you."
Actually, it was two (or was it three) pages of cats vs. dogs posts that got on my nerves. I don't mind when a long conversation sparks from someone's complaint and lasts pages and pages, so long as that conversation isn't about something so "lol, Internet" as cats vs. dogs.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 08:29:03 AM »
Lizard Dude makes good points. I agree on many of his opinions. The "-of-the-year" voting segment was appalling. I never noticed.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 08:53:41 AM »
But you guys are supporting it for completely wrong reasons to solve a completely wrong problem.
I didn't really read their arguments when creating the board TBH.  Apparently, there was complaining in #tmk, in which I no longer participate, for some of the very reasons people wanted the split.

Moving "user created material" out of General Chat won't magically create "general" discussions
I agree.

Good Old Days
This is a myth.  Rose-tinted glasses, etc. etc.

Second, and the much more subtle and insidious of the problems, whenever a "general chat" of a single topic starts to occur in ANGST or HOPEFUL, either someone happens to bring up a completely unrelated ANGST or HOPEFUL event and changes the discussion
This is why I've always preferred threaded message boards.

Let's eliminate post counts from the board completely. They serve no purpose and only drive us apart.
I also think the fixation on post count is dumb, but Deezer said it best:
(21:55:59) Deezer: I don't see what the big deal about post count is TBH
(21:56:19) Deezer: But I agree FG&S should not count
(21:56:32) Deezer: Newbies should have to post elsewhere to earn rights
I suppose we could just remove them from the public display.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
I just used the term Good Old Days as a way to refer to the time before this problem everyone is talking about. If I were being serious about the old days being better, I wouldn't have capitalized it irreverently.

I don't really think the old days were much better or worse, just different.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 02:13:06 PM »
Yeah, like I said before about post count, I think it's pretty stupid and I really wouldn't care if it was removed.

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 04:41:57 PM »
They absorb and destroy general chats.

Like Kirby! XD

Also, I nominate LD's post for post of the year, ironically.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »
Doesn't LD have another post nominated for post of the year?

I like the new change, though I still have 700 posts in EM's shack.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »
I also put LD's post on my list for possible Post of the Year '07.

Also, I wonder how EM got his own shack even though he doesn't seem to have done anything here. Surely it's a joke, right?

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 10:52:55 PM »
Even though I'm fairly new here I have to say that I think Lizard Dude made a lot of sense in his post earlier.^ *felt almost patriotic*
Dragons roam my dreams!

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 03:19:57 PM »
As someone who remembers the "old boards" here and also remembers reading a lot of good  topics back then, I had to vote 'no' because I am of the opinion that splitting up boards/forums is generally a bad idea.
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 03:27:43 PM »
Well, it kinda...already happened.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2007, 03:54:45 PM »
And FG&S didn't exist at all when you were a regular. It was just the story board. So the separation of games and stories should have actually been a good thing to you.
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 09:10:02 PM »
Ah, the Story Boards. I wonder if my introduction to that subforum still exists.

Print