Print

Author Topic: "Guitar Tabs" Help  (Read 3751 times)

nodyarG

• Wishes he was as cool as Luigi
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »
I'm starting to play the guitar and I saw the Guitar Tabs here on TMK, but I can't figure out how you're supposed to read them. Can anyone help me with this?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:44:01 PM »
It's not too hard. With tabs, you don't worry about the rhythm (you should have a feel for how the song goes).  Here is a simple tab, and I will explain it.

e------2--------------------------2-----
B------------3------------0-------------
G-------------------2-------------------
D----------------------------------------
A----------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------

Now, you can see how the strings are laid out much like your very own guitar (assuming you have a standard tuning). The Number on the string tells you which fret to push your finger down on.  For this tab, I would first play the second fret on the e string.  Next, I would play the third fret on the B string. For the rhythm, like I said, you have to know the song. Lets assume this riff has a nice, syncopated rhythm. Ba-ba Ba-ba. A dotted quarter note and an eighth note.

The placement of your fingers will be, in this case, in the position of a D Chord. When the "0" is played, remove your ring finger form the B string. This way, you won't be moving only one finger to all the strings, but rather, using all of them for comfort. The finger positioning, obviously, depends on the song.

I hope this simple explanation is enough to get you started.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
I used this website to figure out how to play guitar tabs: http://guitar.about.com/library/blhowtoreadtab.htm

It really is pretty straight forward; you should have no problem picking it up. :p
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

nodyarG

• Wishes he was as cool as Luigi
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 12:23:06 PM »
Thanks, Koopaslaya! I get it now. The first number is your for the first finger, and the number on the string is the fret.

Again, thanks!!!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Print