Poll

After reading the below post, would you support the creation of this board?

Yes
No
Print

Author Topic: A proposal for a new Fungi Forums board  (Read 12767 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »
Over the past few days, there has been talk in #tmk about the state of our Fungi Forums. Several members that come to #tmk have complained about the quality of topics and how hard it is to find a topic where it is worthwile to post. I have an idea to make this easier, as well as to clean up existing boards. A new board would be created specifically for forum games and other so-called "pointless" topics, and all the existing topics fitting this description would be moved there. (This board would be similar to the "spam" boards popular these days on many other forums.) Forum Games and Stories would go back to being the Story Boards and would be used only for stories. General Chat would be used mainly as it is now, with the main change being a tighter focus on actual discussion of things that would not fit within the other boards. This new board would have a moderator appointed to it, and his or her main task would be to enforce the existing rules of the Fungi Forums. Due to the nature of this board, posts would not count towards one's post count (does a single word or image really count as a full post?). I believe that keeping these types of posts there would lead to General Chat and Story Boards growing in quality within their areas, and would make it easier for members who enjoy these topics to find and post in them.

So. What do you all think?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »
Single words and just a picture do not count as posts!

A good post is something that is full of quality, not something that goes "Lololololol!!!!11!!!1! Mah finegrs r bleedin'!!!1!!1!" I forget what I said in the chatroom, but I wanted to say it here, too.

Posts that should count toward the post total of a user should be of higher quality than either including one word, images, or the example given above. They should add to the ideas of the poster above them, or be relevant to the topic at hand.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:33:13 PM »
* Bird Person closes Post Reply tab for "I'm Going Away!" topic
It would cut the post count of many members and the board as a whole, yes, but post count is not important. What's important is the contributions of the members. I personally feel like this whole message board has sunken into The Depths. It's got to end.
The idea of splitting games from stories is excellent--my previous ramblings may have offended story-writers (dreadfully sorry Area 64, I wasn't complaining about stories before). I don't even see how they got mixed; it's probably because those RPGs could be viewed as either. Fan fiction is far from spam... if the story is good, of course. ;D
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:37:55 PM »
I don't know if I am following you correctly, but if I am, that sounds pretty pointless. It sounds like you want to move Forum Games and Stories to a new board, which really would serve no purpose at all. It's like emptying your basket of apples into a new, empty basket. The basket which primarily contained the apples would be Story Boards.

I think the real problem here is a proportional lack of quality members and quality threads/posts.

If I'm not getting your message, please enlighten me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:41:30 PM by bobman37 »

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »
LOL! What a silly idea! You're so SILLY, MaxVance! ^_^ v

err... I mean...

This would be a great idea, but what do the moderators think of it? Also, yes, it's not that the boards are dumb, it's that some of the people that inhabit them are.

I agree that the one-word one-emoticon one-drawing-or-sprite thing is annoying as all get out and is getting pretty old, pretty fast.

Even if the proposal doesn't go through, even getting a little organization would be better. Maybe a weighted karma system?
"Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does" -WarpRattler

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 08:41:51 PM »
I don't know if I am following you correctly, but if I am, that sounds pretty pointless. It sounds like you want to move Forum Games and Stories to a new board, which really would serve no purpose at all. It's like emptying your basket of apples into a new, empty basket. The basket which primarily contained the apples would be Story Boards.

I think the real problem here is a proportional lack of quality members and quality threads/posts.
No, just the games in FG&S (as well as topics like them in other boards) would be moved to the new board. FG&S would then be used only for stories and General Chat would be used for topics about which there could be discussion. I believe making them this way would lead to new and better topics and posts in these boards.

it's not that the boards are dumb, it's that some of the people that inhabit them are.
I don't think it's so much the people or the boards, but rather each individual topic.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:44:17 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 08:46:54 PM »
I also tend to think that quarantining things that often leave a bad taste in our mouths isn't that great of an idea, but I'm all for organization. It's this feeling of guilt that would be created that bugs me. We've got some good games, after all.

In some cases, a picture and a few words are all that is required-- but not in General Chat.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
I like the idea.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »
This seems like a very good idea. I mean, I'm really sick of not posting in the very view good FG&S boards, as I don't want my post count for that area to go up. Additionally, I tend to avoid Fan Fictions in the Forum Games & Stories board because of the general crap that comes from that area. Then again, Suffix makes a point, we are trying to invalidate a very largely populated part of the forums. But still, we aren't plotting to get rid of that particular area. We're just organizing it all.

Also, I must say, fighting over post counts. Deezer is the creator of this site and has a small amount of posts when compared to some other members who are only normal users.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 09:32:23 PM »
Additionally, I tend to avoid Fan Fictions in the Forum Games & Stories board because of the general crap that comes from that area. Then again, Suffix makes a point, we are trying to invalidate a very largely populated part of the forums. But still, we aren't plotting to get rid of that particular area. We're just organizing it all.
Very well put. My thoughts exactly. I guess my problem with the idea was that MaxVance was trying to get rid of that particular area, and I didn't see how that solved the problem.

As Suffix said, organization is good.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 09:48:05 PM »
I do like the idea of having a section devoted for just fanfiction and RPGs.  I stopped checking on the FG&S because it's become more games than stories.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 09:53:04 PM »
Woohoo, It's been done. However, I must say that the current name for this new designation is a bit disrespectful.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »
MaxVance for Pres. '08

Err. I'm all in for the idea. I think it'd be great. The separation of Forum Games from Stories would be excellent for both traditional members and FG&S-only members. The traditional members won't have to see anymore of what they believe to be nonsense and nothing but lol and pointlessness. On the other hand, the Forum Games members still get what they want. And all in all, no members will be lost, and possibly many more gained. I think there really isn't a bad side to this idea at all. Plus, it'd help the board get more organized, which, unless you're OCD, could really help this place out. Not saying that no one isn't doing their job here, but it'll create a positive environment for the Traditionalists and maintain a positive environment for the Forum Gamers.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 09:57:21 PM »
As you can see, we have created a new board.  We're working on moving topics, but here are the criteria for the new boards:

Fan Creations
Individually written, full-effort fan fiction
Original artwork, animations/videos, music compositions, and the like
Serious discussion of such matter

FG&S
Games
RPGs
Create-a-story threads (add a word, sentence, etc)
Short, successive post threads, including picture threads
Posts will not be counted in this section

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 10:10:19 PM »
Who knew it would be this easy? This is rockin', Mß.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print