Poll

Who are you?

I'm a Creationist. Anyone should be able to create a thread.
14 (60.9%)
I'm an Evolutionist. Members should work their way up to thread posting.
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: Is It Worth It?  (Read 16697 times)

« on: February 03, 2009, 08:22:05 PM »
As seen in recent events, preventing new members from creating threads can cause just as much annoyance as freedom in posting. I've always thought the restriction caused more trouble than it tried to prevent and, additionally, stifles forum growth. If someone comes to a Mario forum with something interesting to share about Mario, why should they be forced to jump through hoops to do it? They're either going to A) disrupt unrelated threads to ask/complain about it or B) just not bother to share with us.

Yes, there's a good chance it might be something dumb they want to create a thread about but it's sure easier to avoid a specific thread than avoid some new person posting about something you don't want to read in threads that you do. If you see a dumb thread, just let it die. The only problem arises when you enter their thread specifically to complain. So if you can resist that, n00bs being able to post threads is clearly the best option.

Be a Creationist. It will clean up existing threads, encourage forum growth, and at the least, give us more to talk about.

Plus, they can be really funny!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »
I think that they should be able to create their own threads because when members come here just trying to get help with something and will leave, they use whatever aimlessly-chosen topic instead. If a new member is going to post a lot of troublesome threads, it's not that big of a deal. We just ban 'em.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:10:53 PM »
The only issue with creationism, I think, is like LD said. People are going to have a hard time controlling themselves when a dumb topic is posted.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »
The more restrictions the better. If I had my way these forums would be on lockdown so tight I wouldn't even be able to post.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:07 PM »
There's an easy solution to dumb threads becoming postcount++. Wait, two. Three if you count eliminating postcount, but that's not what I'm after here.

Here on the Fungi Forums we have these special users called "moderators". They have this control panel for threads in their area of jurisdiction that has a nifty little "lock thread" option. Using this option on a thread renders it inert - unchanging, nonreactive, and gassy.

The other solution involves creating a "stupid thread repository" forum where posts are not counted. Stupid threads would be moved there and no one would have to worry about them again if they didn't want to.

To the mods:
If the restriction gets lifted, regardless of which option here (if either) is used to deal with idiocy, we're depending on you. Get on your butts and pay attention to the forums. Strike swiftly and often.

I support Creationism. New FF blood would be nice. The spambots are more of a problem than the idiocy, but either solution above (or simply deleting spambot threads) deals with them handily.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:01:18 PM by Sapphira »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:03 PM »
a "stupid thread repository" forum where posts are not counted. Stupid threads would be moved there and no one would have to worry about them again if they didn't want to.
We already have one of those.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:20:35 PM »
If we must have early topic making disabled for new members, perhaps we could keep the New Topic button active for those users, but make it display a notice that says new members can't make new topics right away? That way, we shouldn't get questions about the lack of the button, and our sanity is rendered slightly more secure.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:26:37 PM »
We already have one of those.
Don't bring your personal bias into this. This is serious business on serious Internet being posted while I listen to Sirius satellite radio.

Ultima Shadow, while that option sounds like it could work if the restriction wasn't removed, I'm not sure that's an option in SMF. It does give me an idea, however: rather than the Fungi Forums page on the main site containing a link to the board list, remove that link so that the only way new users can get in is through the rules and guidelines page. From there, it's a simple matter of placing "NEW USERS ARE NOT ABLE TO POST THREADS." in large script at the top of that post.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:36:03 PM »
It's to prevent spam/abuse. Trust me, you don't want us to turn it off.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »
The beginning period isn't even that long. If someone is serious enough to stay here and post, I'm sure they can wait long enough to make topics with little negative repercussions.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »
Just the facts, Warp. Technically, yes, Forum Games was created because most of us were sick of the stupid worthless crap scattered all over the forums. We mask it with the name "Forum Games" but the truth is that it is the Crap Board.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
It's to prevent spam/abuse. Trust me, you don't want us to turn it off.
I'll buy that. But then my question is: how do forums that do allow new member threads handle it?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
Usually forums that allow new members to make threads have more mods that are more active and can stop the spam threads before most people see them.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »
Also, usually forums that aren't the Fungi Forums suck.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »
Secondly, how come I can't remember having a problem like that before the restriction? How long has it been in place, again? And how does Deezer know what would happen, if we haven't had the envrionment to test it?

Print