Poll

Who are you?

I'm a Creationist. Anyone should be able to create a thread.
14 (60.9%)
I'm an Evolutionist. Members should work their way up to thread posting.
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: Is It Worth It?  (Read 17105 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
The reason you can't remember it being a problem before is because forum spambots didn't become a problem anywhere until long after the restriction was put in place here. Can't answer your second question, and as for how Deezer knows it'd be a problem, I imagine he's seen other boards - boards most likely having lower spambot registration rates per day than us - where it's a big problem.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »
I think you guys are amnesiacs or something. If I remember right, there were several spambot occurrences on the forums before the restriction was put into effect.
That was a joke.

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »
I don't remember a lot from before then, but I do know that if it wasn't in effect now, those hundreds (?) of spam accounts created after the restriction would produce their hundreds (again, ?) of spam topics.

Did anyone look at the joining rates lately? And the actual accounts? Deezer and Chup are right.
I'm a horrible person.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 10:26:11 PM »
Clever comparison there, if even it made me briefly wonder why this wasn't in Not at the Dinner Table.

That being said, I see no reason why new members can't make threads; now, if they really want to ask something, they'll just hijack a thread (or two). Besides, there's longtime members that have made stupid threads and newbies that have made great threads.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 10:47:31 PM »
It's mainly for spambots...
That was a joke.

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »
A) Could we take it off for a few hours to test if bots will actually post threads? Why would they post millions of threads but never post in an already existing topic?

B) If the bots do immediately strike, the posts needed to make a thread should be set to 1.

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 11:13:15 PM »
I remember when I first joined the Fungi Forums. I fully read the rules and I try not to break any. I knew at that time I couldn't start any threads, so I waited patiently and just replied to posts instead. I still haven't made many threads yet (just two) because everyone's talking about something that I'm interested in. Letting a new member have too much freedom is not a good thing to do. So everything is fine (for now) and should be left alone. I know once an idea  pops into my head I'm going to start a thread and talk about it. But I always search the past threads to make sure I don't waste space or anything.  Also, those Spam-Bots are annoying! I'm glad they ceased fire.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »
While I am most certainly not an evolutionist ;) I voted for the second option.  Why?

1. I never felt constricted by the rule.  I rarely post new threads, even now.  Yeah, that's just me.  Deal with it.

2. With the ratio of "members" to "members who post" on these forums, we may well suppose that the restriction is needed to protect against spammers, whether they be bots or just butts.

3. If people really care about the ability to post new threads, they can exercise patience and prove they wouldn't abuse their position.

Kudos to whoever gets the reference in that post.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
Oh, yeah, forgot about the 'bots...

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »
This question needs to be answered:

If the restriction stops bots from creating threads, then what is stopping them from posting and PMing?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 05:46:14 PM »
Their creators.

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 05:48:21 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty sure that the only thing bots did (if allowed of course) was post a topic.
I'm a horrible person.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »
What's the last bot-topic(s) we had?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »
The last bot thread we had was removed as Bird Person's first real act as a mod.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »
Oh, so they just get totally deleted?

Print