Print

Author Topic: Mario's Character  (Read 14597 times)

« on: June 02, 2007, 07:10:59 PM »
This topic may have spoilers for various games ahead, so be forewarned..

What do you think of the individual character endings in MPT? I thought they were all good, but there was one thing I didn't really like.. during Luigi's ending, Mario congratulates Luigi by slapping him hard on the back and "accidentaly" stepping on his foot. Luigi then looks at Mario with a look that clearly says "What the heck are you doing? Why??" Wouldn't Mario have been happy that his brother won a trophy, possibly in the most challenging of cups?

I don't like the character Mario is becoming: during Paper Mario 2, if/when you go back to Glitzville a second time, and become a fighter again, Jolene tells you that you have to start from the bottom and work your way up again. Now, the Mario I thought I was playing as would have accepted the challenge and just gone ahead and started over, but the PM2 Mario refuses Jolene's offe: he shakes his head no and makes his little disagreeaing noise. Jolene either didn't notice or disregarded it (and Nintendo didn't program her reacting to that in..)

And then, in Super Paper Mario, the first time he meets Tippi, he just assumes that she is going to attack him on site.

I've always pictured Mario as a fun loving, carefree kind of guy, not an arrogant jerk that jumps to conclusions. Am I reading too much into things?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 07:25:35 PM »
Well, at least Mario's getting some kind of personality. His personality has been very vague over the years. The only real thing I know about him is that he doesn't hold grudges, as evidenced in the MvDK games.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 07:39:45 PM »
Hmm.. I guess I completely forgot the MvsDK games. You're right, he doesn't hold grudges. In fact, he acts downright friendly toward the big ape, even after going through the entire game to get his toys and things back..

Somehow, this discussion makes me think of the old Felix the Cat movie, where-in Felix acts friendly towards that cowboy character that turned him in in the first place. Pim, or Bim, wasn't it?? [\offtopicness]
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 08:03:47 PM »
It was Pim, and now I'm glad to see somebody beside me who remembers that movie.

I believe Miyamoto wanted Mario to be goofy and awkward, and well as slightly short-tempered. I've always pictured him as relatively hang-loose when he's content, but extremely persistent when angered or upset.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 08:44:37 PM »
If you just had your brother, love interest and mortal enemy taken away by a blue guy in a top hat, you might be a bit paranoid of talking, unfamiliar rainbow butterflies too. I sure would be.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 09:35:03 PM »
Yeah. I didn't care for what Mario did in Luigi's ending in MPT either. He can be quite the rude little glory hog sometimes.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »
I've always pictured Mario as a fun loving, carefree kind of guy, not an arrogant jerk that jumps to conclusions.

I used to believe Sonic represented this attitude, but I'm starting to turn the other way; Mario is becoming a huge jerk to his own brother, while Sonic goes out of his own way to help some unknown princess. And I'll be darned if Sonic isn't the most carefree, cool dude around.

In PM:TTYD, Mario doesn't even care about his brother's adventure, nor does he seem to notice all of the rude things his partners are saying to him. Same can be said for everything the people say to Luigi in Mario and Luigi:SS.

This isn't to say Mario hates Luigi, he's just kind of a jerk.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:26:29 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 06:50:12 AM »
Maybe Mario has some character development after all...

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 07:04:47 AM »
It also shows that Nintendo has randomly picked Luigi to be the butt of all the jokes that could be for Mario. Quite frankly, it's very old and unfunny to see Luigi get picked on; I was overjoyed in LM when Mario popped out of the.........um, what does E. Gadd call that thing where he turns ghosts into paintings? Anyway, I thought it was time for Mario and his tubby, glory hogging butt to get laughed at.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 07:54:10 AM »
I think the writers just like to make fun of Luigi's adoring fans.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 09:05:25 AM »
Well, all these games are developed by different developers, so they have different writers and directors. Mario's personality is never going to be consistent, I don't really let the sports spin offs or RPGs change my view of Mario.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »
Ghost Portrificationizer.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 09:57:14 AM »
I've always considered Mario pretty cruel. I mean, over the course of the series, he's racked up thousands, maybe millions of kills.
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »
Your love interest has been taken away by your mortal enemy.  AGAIN.  How would you release that anger.  If I were Mario, go out and kick the butts of the culprit's troops, and save my princess.  That anger is more out of the repetitive nature of that rivalry.  You know, Bowser kidnaps the princess, Mario goes and kicks Bowser's butt, and saves the princess.

Also, I saw those kills as means of protection.  Most of those creatures, except in the RPGs are Bowser's troops, and you know how Bowser tends to hold grudges.  Those troops are out to kill you.

But yeah, I think sometimes that hat traps some of the steam in our hero's head, and that might give him a hard time of listening to reason.

Are you sure Mario's not just teasing Luigi at the end of MPT?  Big brothers tend to tease.  Luigi's expression; who likes to be teased?  Luigi's probably getting tired of his big brother's teasings, no matter how lighthearted they were meant to be.  But ignoring your brother's adventures; that's just rude.

Yeah, sometimes, Mario can be a little rude in the games, but I don't let all those different games change my view of his personality.  After all, they are just games.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 05:45:47 PM »
Actually to tell you the truth, Mario doesn't ignore people. This is a method used in many RPGs. Your character never talks and they leave YOU(the person playing) to respond to situations. I don't believe Mario is a jerk in any game. In MPT, he is simply teasing Luigi, not trying to be a jerk.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print