Poll

Of all the Pokemon available as starters in the series thus far, which do you think is the best (The Mystery Dungeon possibilities not included for the large number)?

Bulbasaur
4 (18.2%)
Charmander
3 (13.6%)
Squirtle
5 (22.7%)
Pikachu
1 (4.5%)
Chikorita
0 (0%)
Cyndaquil
3 (13.6%)
Totodile
1 (4.5%)
Treecko
1 (4.5%)
Torchic
1 (4.5%)
Mudkip
2 (9.1%)
Turtwig
0 (0%)
Chimchar
0 (0%)
Piplup
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Favorite Starter Pokémon  (Read 5220 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: June 28, 2007, 04:16:17 PM »
It's not a complicated question. Of all the starters in the primary series of Pokémon games, which do you like most? Which would you pick if all of them were on the table at the start of the game? Assume that you can't evolve the Pikachu, like it was in Yellow Version.
I will have to go with Cyndaquil. Fire types are usually my choice (except in the case of Diamond and Pearl, for I really don't like monkeys that much... I didn't play much of Diamond anyway) and Typlosion is good. It was close, and maybe I chose wrong... perhaps some of the new moves Charizard could learn make it the better one (I need Fire Red!!!)...
And, let's keep the Mudkip stuff at a minimum...   
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »
For me, it was tough to decide between Charmander and Squirtle, because I like them both. However I managed to pick Charmander from those two. I must remark, however, that picking Charmander would always make fighting Brok tough, since fire is weak against Rock.
Edit: I wonder who the first person who will vote mudkip and go "I LIEK MUDKIPS" or something of that matter.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »
aaw i liek mudkips.

No, I chose Squirtle. He's a turtle, has high defense and yet good offense, and I love Water Pokémon. Skull Bash + Hydro Pump + Surf + Hyper Beam = win.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 04:40:30 PM »
Bulbasaur. I always choose the grass-type starter, and just look at his Pokédex number!

If MD starters were included, I might've chosen Meowth, not because of MD (I was Treecko in RRT), but because I'm on my way to having a level 100 Meowth with Pay Day (thousands of pyen per attack, doubled if whichever Pokémon I give an Amulet Coin or Luck Incense to is in the battle) and Pickup (lots of free items just for having a Pokémon with the ability in my party, and since it'll be level 100, it'll find the best items)...

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 04:52:44 PM »
I got Pikachu when I played PMD (in tests taken later, it really comes down to what questions you're asked--I got lots of different results without having to change answers). I guess it made the legendary birds easier... if so I can't imagine how tough they'd be with anything else...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »
I choose Piplup if only because the Steel type that its final evolution gains make it resistant to tons of stuff. The move pool, however, needs work. Bubble until level 24...blargh... But hey, penguins are cool.

Mudkip is also good for nearly the same reason. Weakness to only grass makes it kinda versatile. Also, it learns the uber-powerful Earthquake. Always a nice move to have.

Squirtle is fine too, though it takes him a little while to get going. Again. Bubbles. But at least you can replace that with Water Gun before it even evolves. Contrary to what NP says, Piplup doesn't even learn Water Gun.

It's been ages since I've played Silver so I don't remember how good Totodile was...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 07:14:55 PM »
It was a tough choice, but in the end, I picked Torchic over Squirtle. Because it evolves into a giant kicking chicken. That's just awesome.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 12:25:48 AM »
I got Pikachu when I played PMD (in tests taken later, it really comes down to what questions you're asked--I got lots of different results without having to change answers).
I always got Mudkip. I agree with N64 Chick that the combination of Water and Ground moves were quite useful.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 12:29:55 AM »
I chose Squirtle.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 01:01:15 AM »
I chose BULBASAUR. He was my first Pokémon ever and still number 001 in my heart.

Strangely, when I played PMD I got BULBASAUR.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
Hard time deciding between Charmander and Mudkip, but I'm choosing Charmander because it was my PMD character, and Charizard is one of my favorite pokemon.  The downside with Charmander is that the first two gym battles can be hard.

In fact, for the R/B(Yellow doesn't count, since your starter is always Pikachu) and G/S/C generations, I preferred the fire starters, but for R/S/E and D/P generations, well, I don't care for chickens or monkeys, so I went with the water starters.  "I liek Mudkips" -ahem- and I like penguins.  Although, I started with Treecko once because the egg type or whatever was dragon
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Sqrt2

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 07:09:09 AM »
Bulbasaur, because he was the one I chose first.
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 08:34:25 PM »
I have to say Squirtle since Wartortle's my fave Pokemon of all time. Actually, the real reason is that Squirtle's the cutest of the originals and I always liked Ash's Squirtle in the anime(he's a rebel! >D).
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 05:44:19 PM »
I chose Treecko because it evolves into Sceptile, an immensely useful Pokemon that can stall, sweep and support effectively. It also has a great movepool.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »
I chose Cyndaquil because I have a level 100 Typhlosion in my Gold Version. I also think that he's the strongest :)
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print