Left-handed, Clockwise O, Counter-clockwise spin
0 (0%)
Left-handed, Counter-clockwise O, Clockwise spin
0 (0%)
Left-handed, Counter-clockwise O, Counter-clockwise spin
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Print

Author Topic: A few questions of -handedness and writing circles...  (Read 4213 times)

Fifth

• Quadruped
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:08:30 PM »
Alright, this question was initially out of curiosity of whether there's a correlation between the way one would circle the letter O when writing and the direction that you'd spin the stylus about the DS screen when prompted to do so (either by Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, or a WarioWare game, or some such).
The question also came up as to whether being left- or right-handed becomes a factor as to which way one choses to write a circle.  And so this poll was made.  Go ahead and give it some thought, and then answer which combination suits you.

And if you're not sure which way you circle an O, go ahead and just write naturally (non-cursive, please) and find out.  It's not something most people think about when doing, and accuracy is important here.

...And if you happen to hold your pencil in an unusual fashion (like me), you might also state that, if you so choose.  I'm not quite sure what the "correct" way to circle an O is, but I'm sure I sort of refused to learn the "correct" way of holding a pencil.

Anyway, go forth and vote!
In the name of science!
Or something!
Go Moon!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:13:11 PM »
<WarpRattler> Man, that spinning wheel is annoying.

Left-handed, counter-clockwise O and spin.

EDIT: After doing another spinning wheel and writing an O, I realized that my spins and Os are clockwise after all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:39:50 PM by WarpRattler »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:18:10 PM »
Right, clockwise, clockwise. I hold pencils with four fingers, my thumb, index and middle fingers holding it down onto my ring finger. I've been thinking about practicing writing with my left hand for some time and really should start... I think it would end up being a perfect mirror of my right hand as far as this poll is concerned.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 06:38:48 PM »
Didn't there used to be a another thread about handedness here?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »
I never write Os. I just type them.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »
Ambidextrous right-dominant, counter-clockwise Os, both spin directions

Actually, I first recall looking at spin direction when I got to interview Yano.  I realized that I might be spinning in the opposite direction from how he was doing it.  I don't even remember which direction that was because starting with Ouendan 2, I started spinning in whichever direction made my hand less tired at the time.  As for the direction of the o, counter-clockwise is the way it's taught in school, which makes sense considering the flow of cursive handwriting.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »
Having made plenty of Poffins in Pokémon Pearl, I can safely say that I prefer Left-handed, Counter-clockwise O, Counter-clockwise spin.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 08:38:11 PM »
Right-handed, Counter-clockwise O, Clockwise spin.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 08:44:54 PM »
I'd love to be ambidexdrous.  I think I am in some ways, but I'm right dominant, counter-clockwise o's and spin counter-clockwise.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 08:50:25 PM »
Right-handed, counter-clockwise, counter-clockwise.

It makes sense that the direction of the spinning/writing depends on which hand is dominant because I heard somewhere that no matter which hand you use, it's easier to write/draw by pushing the pencil away from you instead of dragging it toward you.

For example, a right-handed person drawing an O in a counter-clockwise fashion would seem to be easier and more legible than trying to draw it clockwise (unless you've been doing it clockwise forever).

Give it a shot: use your non-dominant hand to draw some letters but try to push the pencil away from you instead of dragging it toward you. It's not magic, but it'll probably be more legible than if you tried to pull the pencil toward you.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:11:05 PM by bobman37 »

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 09:05:57 PM »
I absolutely hate making Poffins (which are stupid without the process in which they are created). I have extreme difficulty spinning the stylus clockwise-- I tend to make ovals or worse.

So, left handed, counter-clockwise "o" and spin.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 09:49:41 PM »
What do you mean by "spin"?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 10:39:55 PM »
Left-handed, clockwise O and clockwise spin.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 10:45:40 PM »
Man, I forgot all about Poffins when Fifth and I were having the discussion that led up to this.
Area 64, "spin" means stuff like the spinning wheel in Ouendan/EBA or Poffin-making in Pokémon Diamond/Pearl, where you have to draw fast circles. I suppose Pokémon Ranger would be a game based around this concept.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 05:51:36 AM »
Right-handed, Counter-clockwise O, Clockwise spin

Print