Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 368959 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
And now a question: Will the Pokewalker come in every game case, or just in the first release batch?
Every release, unless later releases use a standard DS card (that is, one that doesn't contain the infrared sensor that allows it to connect to the Pokéwalker). It's not just some limited thing only given out with the first edition.

« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
Nice going completely ignoring my rebuttal to Turtlekid's points Weegee.

Even better that you used the same points he did.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »
I missed TK's point on WiFi trading, but there's little overlap otherwise.

Completing any game should be possible solely through means presented by the game, rather than through alternatives such as, in the case of Pokemon,
Serebii, Bulbagarden, Pokecommunity, Smogon, Pokeani or any other video game site
...to complete one's PokeDex. If WiFi can't achieve even this, then it should never have been introduced to the series in the first place.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
There's never been a main-series Pokémon game whose Pokédex could legitimately be completed solely through means presented by the game due to having required trading between versions and a trip to Toys R Us from the start of the series, so by your logic, the series shouldn't exist. And neither should pretty much any other video game, because games typically don't include controllers, game systems, televisions, or electricity.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »
There's a difference between things you're expected to have to own the game in the first place and the means (or lack thereof) that games provide for you to 100% them.

So what you're saying is you put yourself through these things because you feel like completing every little task in the game despite no reward and no one requiring you to do so.

Think about that for a second. You're complaining over a problem you set up yourself because you decided to do everything available. You have no excuse to complain when the task is neither a requirement to progress in the game nor affects anything in the main quest.

Why is the implausibility of optional content any less objectionable than the implausibility of the content of the main game?  As far as I'm concerned, you haven't really gone through any game until you've at least attempted to 100% it.  What fun is there in only completing the required quests?  In my opinion, half the fun of a game like Pokemon comes from optional elements.  If the optional elements aren't in any way fun (which is alarmingly becoming the case more and more with Pokemon), then why don't I have an excuse to complain?

If you don't feel like using the WiFi center, then go to Serebii, Bulbagarden, Pokecommunity, Smogon, Pokeani or any other video game site and find someone who can offer you what you want. This isn't that difficult if you're willing to do a little work for it.

You're kidding, right?  Have you recently tried wading through some of those crapfests?  You have to flood a request for a Pokemon before you even get a response, and when you do get a response, they'll either want a shiny Pokemon, or an EV Trained one, or both.  Now, if I have to EV Train a couple of extra 'mons to get at that Jirachi, then I don't mind.  But when it's standard trading fare, something is wrong.

At this point, it sounds like you expect the games to hand you everything on a silver platter.

If by that you mean that I'd like it to be possible to actually obtain every Pokemon without resorting to limited events or migrating from previous games, a non-counterintuitive GTS, and a Battle Frontier whose NPCs don't cheat to win... then yeah, I guess I'd like it all on a silver platter.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2010, 10:40:16 PM »
There's a difference between things you're expected to have to own the game in the first place and the means (or lack thereof) that games provide for you to 100% them.
You're still expected to have an extra system, the other game, and a way to get to a Nintendo event (or friends/siblings), then. Once more:

IT HAS NEVER BEEN POSSIBLE TO LEGITIMATELY COMPLETE THE POKÉDEX IN A MAIN-SERIES POKÉMON GAME WITH JUST THE MEANS PROVIDED BY THE GAME.

So stop whining like a baby about it not being possible in fourth-gen despite there being more tools to make Pokédex completion doable than in any previous generation.

« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2010, 02:37:23 AM »
Shouldn't Pokemon only available through one-time-only Nintendo events be banned? With F-Zero GX you could unlock the AX racers and tracks by playing F-Zero at an arcade (good luck finding it at any arcade you live nearby), but if you couldn't, you could still unlock them the (much more) difficult way. With Pokemon I don't think you can unless you do some Gameshark voodoo on it.

Sure, in the next generation you might be able to get said secret Pokemon, but they'll just lock away the newer ones you'll be frothing at the mouth for.

I already had enough reasons to stay away from Pokemon, but not being able to satisfy any possible gotta-catch-them-all desire due to not being social enough is just yet another reason.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2010, 06:19:22 AM »
You're still expected to have an extra system, the other game, and a way to get to a Nintendo event (or friends/siblings), then. Once more:

[big annoying text]

So stop whining like a baby about it not being possible in fourth-gen despite there being more tools to make Pokédex completion doable than in any previous generation.

I think I have every right to determine how possible it is to complete the Fourth Gen Pokedex, having done it myself.  And I can tell you that the GTS, among other things, was useless, and trudging through the refuse of the fanbase on Serebii's Wi-Fi chat at 11:00 at night wasn't really any fun.

Again, the issue here isn't whether it's possible or not, it's whether it's plausible.  I'm not saying that every Pokemon should necessarily be available in one version, just that if they're going to give us all these "tools" to help with Pokedex completion, they should at least make them useful.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
You still don't get to complain, though. Because it's fully optional content.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Then stop doing that."

(Also, uh, "big annoying text"? It's only annoying for you because it's the truth and you won't get over yourself.)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
You still don't get to complain, though. Because it's fully optional content.
It's still content.  It's no different from any required content except fewer people attempt it.  Also, as I've already pointed out, there are people whose nature compels them to do something, even if it "hurts when they do it."  Why are they any less entitled to reasonable gameplay?

(Also, uh, "big annoying text"? It's only annoying for you because it's the truth and you won't get over yourself.)
No, it's annoying because you used unnecessarily large font and caps lock.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »
I have never captured all the Pokemon but you don't see me giving up.

Oh God, I bought Fire Red yesterday :/
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Also, as I've already pointed out, there are people whose nature compels them to do something, even if it "hurts when they do it."  Why are they any less entitled to reasonable gameplay?
Have you considered that maybe it's a problem with the people rather than the game?

« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
if they're going to give us all these "tools" to help with Pokedex completion, they should at least make them useful.

I agree with that. I want to be able to ask for Pokemon #428, even if I haven't seen it.

If you've seen it in  an area where it currently doesn't add the Pkmn to the Dex (Bbttle Tower and friend battles), then it should be added to your Dex so you can at least see what it is and whether you can catch/evolve/trade/etc for it. It is ludicrous at this point that you can't add a new number in any of those ways.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
I will agree that the Pokédex should work with things like the Battle Tower and multiplayer battles. There's no reason - narrative, mechanic, or otherwise - why it shouldn't. But narratively, there's no reason whatsoever for you to be able to request stuff from the GTS that your character hasn't seen.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2010, 12:40:54 PM »
I don't appreciate this thread clogging up my RSS feed.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Print