Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 369283 times)

« Reply #600 on: August 09, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »

« Reply #601 on: August 09, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »
Serebii says:
Quote from: Serebii
TMs will not disappear after use.

what the flock
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:57:34 AM by Ninjap00 »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #602 on: August 13, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »
Older post was better.

"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #603 on: August 13, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
The image forgot to mention that neither Porygon nor its evolutions have appeared in the anime since the banned episode.  I hate them for that.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #604 on: August 13, 2010, 02:57:40 PM »
Lawl, Pokemon promotes Zionism?

Quote from: Serebii
TMs will not disappear after use.

what the flock

Having KO'd legendaries respawn is hand-holding enough. This is just pathetic.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #605 on: August 13, 2010, 02:59:37 PM »
No, it's called "anti-frustration."  It removes pointless and annoying mechanics.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #606 on: August 13, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »
But it's what distinguished TMs from HMs!
They'd better make up for this by making TMs scarce, hard to get, or something.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #607 on: August 13, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »
But it's what distinguished TMs from HMs!
HMs are made for advancing across insurmountable terrain. They're also impossible to forget without the aid of a Move Deleter so that you don't get yourself stuck in an area. (i.e. surf to an island and use a TM to replace Surf and/or Fly)

I for one appreciate that TMs are now unlimited since it justifies why so many Trainer's Pokémon know Earthquake, despite it being ridiculously scarce in just about every generation.

« Reply #608 on: August 13, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »
Well, I don't like this change unless they make up for it.

« Reply #609 on: August 13, 2010, 04:52:25 PM »
Fun fact: It's possible to become permanently stuck in the first-gen games, forcing you to start a new file.

1. Play until you complete Celadon City, fighting every trainer you meet along the way.
2. Toss all of your non-key items.
3. Spend any money you have on Game Coins or discardable items, repeat until you have less than $100.
4. Congratulations; you are now unable to progress past the thirsty guards who surround Saffron City. Good jorb!
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #610 on: August 13, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »
KO'd legendaries respawn
This...you were doing so well, Game Freak. Why'd you have to go and break it?

(I do think unlimited-use TMs are a good idea, though. More than anything, it eliminates the wholly unnecessary "there is only one per game" thing you had with TMs, items you'd expect to be mass-produced and relatively easy to obtain anyway, in previous generations. I don't like the idea of easy-mode legendaries, but easy-mode TMs work.)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #611 on: August 13, 2010, 10:32:03 PM »
I dislike both the KO'd legendary respawn and the unlimited use of TMs. One major part of preparing a team depended on the moveset you would use for each Pokemon. Many rare moves learnable by TMs were considered valuable, and as such, played a pivotal role in creating a team. Since those rare moves can now be used indefinitely, trainers can just assign any Pokemon the move without having to care about losing it. Now, certain moves will be abused much more and most of the moves in the game will be at your disposal. This, in my opinion, greatly degrades the competitive nature that Pokemon is known for.

As for KO'd legendaries respawning, I believe that having such a feature removes the excitement and suspense of battling a legendary Pokemon in the first place. Since I know I will be able to have another attempt at catching the Pokemon regardless of my reckless actions, I won't be nearly as careful when trying to catch one.

I'm against both ideas, and I feel that Nintendo and/or GameFreak is making Pokemon too "casual-friendly."
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #612 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:06 PM »
Well, I didn't think it was possible, but they managed to easify the mainseries Pokemon games. Then again, I said the same thing about Zelda...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #613 on: August 14, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »
Respawning KO'd legendaries is very unnecessary.  Any experienced player knows that he/she just needs to save their progress RIGHT before challenging the legendary.  If you mess up, simply flip that power button and try again.  Newer gamers who don't know that will just learn the hard way like many of us did.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #614 on: August 14, 2010, 01:28:56 AM »
Thing is, Kimimaru, as pointed out earlier in this thread, the multiplayer "scene" for Pokémon is already overrun by players using Pokésav to save the trouble of actually training their monsters (as well as players who just use simulators rather than actually having to train Pokémon). So for the most part, TMs being unlimited doesn't affect those people at all. And as for the limited quantitative nature of certain TMs (which is what I was referring to), it was already possible to, for example, play through a second copy of the game long enough to get all your one-of-a-kind TMs, then attach them to Pokémon and trade them over to your real game. This just saves thirty hours or so per unique TM.

KO'd legendaries respawning just further cheapens the idea of them being "legendary." I still think the game needs to just autosave on legendary battles.

I disagree with the argument about Pokémon, a game that many of us started playing when we were seven or eight years old - practically wee babes! - being made casual-friendly. It was always that way.

Print