Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 372639 times)

« Reply #630 on: August 14, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »
No, we have to argue so Game Freak will read these posts and change the games' fundamental mechanics accordingly.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #631 on: August 14, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »
A good solution would be to reduce the time it takes for an egg to hatch.
Or better yet, what's actually happening, where TMs aren't limited items.

As seen from the fact that most players already reduce the amount of time it takes to hatch eggs by keeping a Pokémon with a particular ability in their party, reducing the amount of time it takes an egg to hatch doesn't eliminate the possibility of long RNG screw. You could still be stuck hatching eggs for days to try to hatch a Pokémon with multiple egg moves and the right nature. When you can instead just use TMs to give the hatched Pokémon those moves, you're only hatching for nature at that point, which is a highly preferable situation.

While that may be true, two Pokemon that have the same nature, moveset, name, and were caught by the same trainer would have nothing different about them other than EV distribution; even then, you can remove their EV distribution and make it the same. It's very difficult to get two Pokemon with the same IVs, essentially making about every Pokemon unique.
This, to me, speaks more of how Pokémon is incredibly flawed as a competitive game than anything about why IVs should be kept in the game. It's all just far too much metagaming.

Why should I have to do that just to play a game I like online?
That's an odd way to phrase it, considering using a simulator is faster in every way than playing on the actual game. And I'm not saying you should have to do this. I'm just saying that doing that eliminates the chance of facing impossible Pokémon like the aforementioned Wondertomb, things that are entirely possible to go up against when you play with randoms the way you described.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #632 on: August 14, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »
That's an odd way to phrase it, considering using a simulator is faster in every way than playing on the actual game. And I'm not saying you should have to do this. I'm just saying that doing that eliminates the chance of facing impossible Pokémon like the aforementioned Wondertomb, things that are entirely possible to go up against when you play with randoms the way you described.

I understand that a simulator will prevent me from fighting impossibly hard Pokemon, but when I play competitively, I wish to battle a player, not a computer.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #633 on: August 14, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »
You still battle against other players.  The difference is that you don't have to mess around with the tedious grinding.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #634 on: August 14, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »
I bet B/W is really gonna grind my Gear.
/silly puns

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #635 on: August 14, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »
What Turtlekid said. When I say "simulator," I refer to programs like Shoddy Battle, in which you plug in information to generate a team automatically and play against other people online.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #636 on: August 14, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »
Oh, haha. It sounds pretty cool; I might just check it out sometime.

Also:

Why do people make big arguments over this type 'o stuff anyway? Can't we all just get along and have friendly Pokémon battles together?

WarpRattler or I were arguing in a good sense. We discussed the subject maturely and voiced our opinions. I don't think of him any differently now than I did 3 days ago.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #637 on: August 15, 2010, 05:06:43 AM »
I never wrote that your argument was immature or anything like that, I just meant that I personally feel that it's pretty pointless to argue about little things in Pokémon.
Sometimes they're entertaining to read, though, so carry on.

« Reply #638 on: September 04, 2010, 04:53:39 PM »
Starter evolutions revealed

I'm diggin' Smugleaf's badass Dragonair/Milotic-style final form. Wotterderp's evolutions are a serious improvement. It looks as though the Fire starter might become Fire/Fighting type for the third generation in a row.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #639 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:14:33 PM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #640 on: September 06, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
Interesting...

By the way, the patterns on its belly remind me of some creature from LoZ:WW.

« Reply #641 on: September 10, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »
Warp should love this: Thirteen confirmed legendaries. Intruiging type combinations, though.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #642 on: September 10, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »
Far more interesting thing of note: Isshu is officially New York.

« Reply #643 on: September 10, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
I knew it! For one thing, China's piracy industry keeps the nation from being a viable marketing target for Nintendo, so there's little reason to appeal to them rather than to Japan or America.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #644 on: September 11, 2010, 12:56:41 AM »
No! I don't want that!

Print