Print

Author Topic: Why Pokémon Sucks (And What Won't Be Done To Fix It)  (Read 63904 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2010, 05:57:40 PM »
Trainman: That doesn't look like the sort of badge a Pokémon trainer would ever be caught wearing.

CrossEyed: Super Repel is more cost-effective than Max Repel anyway.

Glorb and The Chef: Play Devil Summoner.

ShadowBrian: You faint from the realization that your ten-year-old self is now defenseless in a cave (or forest, or whatever) full of monsters and/or pedophiles.

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2010, 06:13:13 PM »
I just want to know why having all your Pokemon pass out causes you to pass out.

Similarly, it's annoying to see that fainted Pokemon can be caught in the anime, but not in the games. I know it would make catching them too easy, but they've never given an in-game justification for it.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »
It would be unsporting. The people in the anime are a bunch of *******s.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »
CrossEyed: Super Repel is more cost-effective than Max Repel anyway.
Only slightly so, but yeah, that's part of my point. It's stupid. Neither of them are cost-effective by an absolute scale, of course, but the more expensive one should be more cost-effective relatively, or else it has no reason to exist. Sam's Club doesn't get by on selling loaves of bread with three extra slices for $10.

You know, you see Repel and later Super Repel for sale, and you get to thinking "Hey, if Repel is 100 steps and Super Repel is 200 steps, there must be a Hyper Repel that does 500, or a Max Repel that works like forever!" And then you find out the Max Repel is only 250 steps and costs $0.30 more per step. It has to be intentional mockery.

ShadowBrian: You faint from the realization that your ten-year-old self is now defenseless in a cave (or forest, or whatever) full of monsters and/or pedophiles.
That whole thing never made sense to me. You go unconscious, yet you can walk back to the Pokémon Center? And you're somehow lucid enough to apparently find a path back to there that avoids all battles? It can't just be the age, because plenty of the trainers you beat are the same age as you, and not one of them has ever blacked out as a result of being defeated, and I'd wager that the ~15-year-old protagonists of BWG will be just as fainty as the 10-year-olds.

The only explanation I can come up with is that a trainer, playable or not, slips into an alternate Hyde-like personality when all their Pokémon are fainted. They give money to whoever they lost to (even if it's a wild Pokémon) for some reason and then just hang out for a while, beating Pokémon with their bare hands along the way, eventually wandering into a Pokémon Center, where something snaps them back to reality. The main personality has no memory of anything that happened after they were beaten.

The other option is that every protagonist in the games is just a total wuss. Though that still doesn't explain the walking back while unconscious thing.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 06:51:58 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
I've always assumed that someone finds you unconscious and hauls your pathetic derrierre to a Pokemon Centre.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »
Doesn't it say that your character was the one who carried the Pokemon back?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »
Glorb's biting sarcasm

You must be reading one of my other posts. I was dead serious as a heart attack, my friend.
every

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2010, 08:01:15 PM »
TK: Maybe. I haven't whited out since 2002, so I can't remember.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
In Gen IV, after "NAME paid out $XXX to the winner!/dropped $XXX" and "NAME blacked out!" (it was "whited out" in Gen II and III), the screen turns black in DPT or white in HGSS and says "NAME scurried to a Pokémon Center, protecting the exhausted and fainted Pokémon from further harm..." Previous generations didn't have an ingame explanation for why you ended up there, as far as I know.

I like the image of your character calmly paying out a precise amount of money and then promptly dropping to the ground.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:16:20 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »
Trainman: That doesn't look like the sort of badge a Pokémon trainer would ever be caught wearing.

Yeah, but it's the first attack badge from paper mario that would solve the problem you guys have been talking about for a bit.

Run into weak enemy, defeat it without having to go into battle. Problem soooolved.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
That might actually work - have the option to toggle full wild encounters on and off depending on how many badges the player has - the more badges, the more routes that can be blocked, or repelled, or whatever.  Like, with all eight badges, you would be able to block every route (maybe with the exception of Victory Road).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »
Or maybe an item which repels wild Pokemon that are less than half your party leader's level.

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »
I heard an idea about RPG's in general that I thought would work really well in Pokemon..

As you catch or defeat creatures, their value and scarcity changes accordingly.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2011, 08:47:11 PM »
You mean like, a limited number of each Pokémon available to catch/defeat? Hmmm.....would accurately reflect real-world endangered species.....

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2011, 12:34:36 AM »
Well, I didn't say it was a great idea..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print