Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2  (Read 33248 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »
I still think the SMB series need a reboot a la MM9 w/ some e-World add-ons and a level editor like Mario vs. DK2 on Wii U. 

I'd also love to see a new Wario DIY on Wii U that lets you make entire levels and worlds to share on Wii U. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
I think the big reliance on coins could make it an interesting, at least somewhat unique experience compared to past NSMB games. I'm questioning how big of a role they actually play in the gameplay, though. What, does Bowser have some sort of machine or plan or something, and the only way to foil it is by collecting a buttload of coins? Do you unlock new levels with a bunch of coins? Why are coins such a big deal in this one? That was what I was thinking.
Relics.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »
Wario should show up in some fashion.

Preferably some very hip, trendy fashion, like layered T-shirts and Heelies and frosted tips.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »
I think the big reliance on coins could make it an interesting, at least somewhat unique experience compared to past NSMB games. I'm questioning how big of a role they actually play in the gameplay, though. What, does Bowser have some sort of machine or plan or something, and the only way to foil it is by collecting a buttload of coins? Do you unlock new levels with a bunch of coins? Why are coins such a big deal in this one? That was what I was thinking.

I think having to stop to collect billions of coins every 4 seconds would interrupt the flow of the game moreso than any other Mario game (especially with Mario's stupid slide he's done ever since NSMB).

I also notice 100 coins still gives you a 1UP. So... 70 lives at the end of World 1?

Lastly, if this is all about coins, presumably there will be leaderboards. Maybe leaderboards for individual levels, but I doubt that. It'll be total coin count, and then you know it'll be broken within a week because someone will find the level with the fastest opportunity for the most coins and play the level over and over and over.

I've noticed that NSMB2 is already following a trend set by MTO: the point system not relying on skill, but on how much time you can sink into the game. Like, yeah, I had several matches with the regional top leaderboard guy "Dragon:3" (82,391 points) on Mario Tennis. I've beaten him 5 out of the 7 times I've faced him. [darn].... is it because I'm insanely good? Not really, he's a moderately decent player; he just does nothing but play Mario Tennis. I could have 82k points too if I did nothing but play. So, same sort of thing I see happening with NSMB2: You'll find leaderboards that won't show level times completed or anything worthy of achievement (and forget statistics), but it'll show total coin count, probably show the top 30 people (or hell maybe just the top guy and that's it like Mario Tennis) and his coin count will be 7.4 million coins.

EDIT: (and for the love of Christ, get rid of the stupid ass BAHH BAHH voice bull[dukar]. I thought they were gonna kill it off, but it was everywhere in the NSMB U trailer)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:30:10 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
Is it just me, or does Luigi's Raccoon Suit around the 6:00 mark and onward in the Iwata Asks video look notably different than Mario's?  I wonder if that's a character-based difference, or if there's a different variant of the suit, à la the Tanooki and Penguin Suits.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
Looks like a fox tail. I was thinking it was a subtle Sonic reference.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »
He gets a fox suit in Super Mario 3D Land, so they're probably continuing from that.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »
They really like the BAHH. NSMB U trailer was filled with it, but apparently it's back full force. I guess they're recycling all of NSMB Wii's music, but... they put the BAHH in the castle music, if you can believe that.

http://youtu.be/2jmUkOjq_U8

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 10:07:53 PM »
Who wants to collect 1,000,000 coins?

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Is that... a Dry Piranha?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »
BAHH in the castle music
I wish for death... but am also laughing at the idea of the original SMB castle music, entirely in BAHHs.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
I made a post in the NSMB U thread chronicling this stupid additional tracker added to the music for when you're holding a baby Yoshi, but discovered that apparently the chipmunk track is gonna be in NSMB 2 as part of the Walking the Plains theme.

For those who haven't read my NSMB U post yet, holding a baby Yoshi adds an ear ache-inducing harmony track of the "BAHH BAHH" people, but it sounds like a bunch of chipmunks.

Go to 1:07 to hear it

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SaRxYlL9dM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SaRxYlL9dM</a>

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 03:17:38 AM »
The one thing I would like to see is the ability to make our own SMB levels and share them with the world. It's about time Nintendo would do something like that.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
I haven't seen Bowser in any of the screens or anything. Makes me wonder if he is in the game..

And I also have been wondering how all 7 Koopa Kids (8, if Bowser Jr is there too) and Peach fit into the Koopa Kopter.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2012, 03:36:25 PM »
Them, and all the various things Bowser chucks at you in SMW.  It's probably a TARDIS or something.  It even makes weird noises when it disappears.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print