Print

Author Topic: Huge SMA2 level access bug (need help investigating)  (Read 5225 times)

« on: July 31, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
So I found this video:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKZXMEU-Hc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKZXMEU-Hc</a>

Then I found out that you can do this trick anywhere in the game. All you need to to is press select + whatever direction and Mario will walk in that direction regardless of the set path. I tested it in several areas in the game and so far each of them bring you to the bonus room. I'm really not sure why the particular one in the video brings you to the title screen level, but I'm guessing this means that there's more levels that you can access in the game that are hidden. In addition, the particular one in the video is the only one that gives you the select screen with the blank levels, which allows you to go to glitch worlds. I didn't find anything that interesting with this; about 3 of them bring you to the top left corner of the map, one of them freezes the game, one of them brings you to a glitch world with the regular map music, and one is a glitch world with the title screen music. There could possibly be more levels found if I had more people to help me investigate this.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »
It's weird how the glitch lets you get off the path on the overworld. I've done Super Mario World hacking before, and I know that there are Layer 1 levels stored in most spots before the Layer 2 levels kick in via unlocking their paths. 90% of the unused overworld levels are just duplicates of the bonus room because any undefined level is automatically set to Level 0, which is the bonus room. All the overworlds are connected (when you go through the "loop" on the right side of the Special World you actually go through Vanilla Dome. It doesn't show you in Vanilla Dome because you didn't go through an exit tile) so you're probably just accessing a level on another overworld that you didn't unlock yet. Here is some more information on those levels. Keep in mind that there are also many other levels not accessible from the overworld, such as the level that contains doors to all the boss rooms.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:34:45 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »
90% of the unused overworld levels are just duplicates of the bonus room because any undefined level is automatically set to Level 0, which is the bonus room. All the overworlds are connected (when you go through the "loop" on the right side of the Special World you actually go through Vanilla Dome. It doesn't show you in Vanilla Dome because you didn't go through an exit tile) so you're probably just accessing a level on another overworld that you didn't unlock yet.

Well the title screen level is an actual level in the game right? I'm pretty it accesses the title screen version of the level when you do the glitch because (if you watched the video) there's no enemies or an exit to the level and when you start the level your position is glitched. I wonder if any of the unused overworld levels are actually unused levels.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:40:36 AM »
Yes, the title screen level is in the game and is a shortened version of a Special World level, but I forgot which one. Your starting level position is "glitched" because the level entrance is positioned slightly below the ground. As I stated before, there are very few actual unused levels in the game because most of the unused level numbers are just duplicates of the bonus room. The most interesting ones are the beta version of Wendy's Castle and the test level, but I don't think the beta Wendy's Castle is accessible via the overworld. If you're very curious about the unused levels I'd look at the level memory addresses on SMWCentral and check out the levels using Lunar Magic.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »
I can`t seem to be able to replicate the trick. Does this work in all copies of the game?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print