Print

Author Topic: New Mario Movie (Not Joke)  (Read 18196 times)

« on: December 12, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/sony-nintendo-mario-bros-movie

Sony Pictures and Nintendo appear to have closed a deal for the animated feature film rights to the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise, according to a series of emails discovered in the massive trove of hacked Sony files recently leaked to the media.

“I am the proud father of mario the animated film [sic],” producer Avi Arad told Sony studio chief Amy Pascal in an email dated Oct. 23, 2014, with the subject line “Mario.” Arad then forwarded Pascal separate images of him with Mario Bros. creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, the latter of which included the message, “Happy ceo, lets get together, it’s the mother load. [sic]”

Pascal forwarded that email to Tom Rothman, who heads up Sony Pictures subsidiary TriStar Pictures. “Avi closed Mario brothers,” she said. “Animated.”

[On Oct. 24, Arad sent an email to Sony Pictures Animation president of production Michelle Raimo Kouyate thanking her for a congratulatory basket she sent him filled with Mario Bros. merchandise. “Thank you Avi!” Kouyate responded. “Let’s build a Mario empire!” Kouyate also sent a photo of the basket to Pascal, and said, “I can think of 3-4 movies right out of the gate on this. So huge!”

We all know how the previous movie turned out, but with this being animated it'll probably keep a lot more to the source material. Pretty exciting stuff.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
in before "EVERYONE SEEMS TO HATE IT BUT I ACTUALLY LIKED THE MARIO MOVIE"

which seems to be the one and only opinion of it you see anymore

yes yes you're so open-minded and make your own opinions it's just too bad that they're WRONG
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »
I thought it was decent as a movie on its own and I liked the minor callbacks to things and elements they threw in (especially Big Bertha!), but it was still bad as a "Mario" movie. Throwing in all that dinosaur time travel [dukar] was such a stupid ****ing idea for a Mario movie, and Mario and Luigi barely even wear the overall+shirt+hat combo (WHICH THEY SHOULD HAVE WORN FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE FILM). Even when they do, they don't even use the proper red/green shirt, blue overalls configuration that was already the standard by 1993!
Relics.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »
In a recent interview, the co-director of the movie said they envisioned the movie as the "real story" and the games were a bad adaption of the events. That was an idea alright.

----

Avid Arad sure gets around.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:41:28 PM by Glowsquid »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:21:47 PM »
Whoa, wait, for real? You'd figure there'd be some inherent Sony/Nintendo conflict, but I suppose that's just on the level of consoles.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »
Quote from: article
After publication, Arad denied to BuzzFeed News via email that the Super Mario deal had closed, saying his negotiations with Nintendo were “just the beginning.”

Now, he could just be under NDA or something, but it seems like it isn't confirmed for now.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 01:31:55 AM »
Uh-oh. Looks like the Colonel was successful.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 04:53:38 AM »
I have a feeling that nothing is actually going to come of this. Much like that 21 Jump Street/Men in Black crossover they apparently discovered.

Hell, at first I thought this was made up. Now that Sony's hacked, anybody can just pop up and claim to have found some sort of weird project in their database without citing a source, and Internet Journalism™ will just go along with it anyway for clicks.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »
Look on the bright side: At least it's not Disney.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »
Bowser would fall very far to his death at the climax and Yoshi would be the wacky comic relief
Relics.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »
Peach would sabotage Bowser's plans while kidnapped and Luigi would prove himself with an act of bravery just when all hope seemed lost.

Now, voice casting.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 08:42:46 PM »
Part of me worries whether I could take Charles Martinet for a whole film.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 02:09:47 AM »
But could a whole film take you

Mario's had more than one voice actor though, as has most of the cast.. I would love to see Bowser with the voice he had in the cartoons, though his current.. roars and such aren't too bad (based off SMG, anyway).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 09:07:42 PM »
I legitimately think Sunshine Bowser would be an awesome voice...provided they keep Bowser's more comical characterization from the RPGs.
Relics.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »
You have pretty abysmal taste in voices.

Also, why the spoiler?

Print