Lukewarm
0 (0%)
Not very good
3 (5.4%)
sucked, no doubt about it
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: Do you like the new SMB?  (Read 24249 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2006, 10:57:03 PM »
The game itself, in terms of the stages, isn't the easiness problem. The reason the game can be considered easy is because they are way too generous with power ups. If you hit a random block anywhere in the stage, I'd say you have a 1 out of 3 chance of it containing a power up. (Not to mention those accursed Toad houses where you can get like twenty 1-ups at once) The game itself gets progressively harder, so that's not an issue. I simply just rarely get power ups unless I really need one.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2006, 12:50:52 AM »
Either people are way better than me, or... yeah, I dunno. There does seem to be an abnormal amount of powerups, but they seem aptly placed.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2006, 10:15:35 AM »
I rember the later stages of SMB3 when there was only one power-up in the entire level. *sigh*

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
Well, between work and the final projects at school, I've had very little time to play games and my mom bought this game for my little brother about a week ago. So yesterday, I finally got time to play it

....and may I say it's one of the best decisions I made. NSMB contains the same feeling you get while playing any of the old school Mario platformer, while at the same time it feels new and fresh (this is starting to sound like a review). I missed a lot of things yesterday when I basically blasted through many of the levels to get to the end. I stopped at world 5 so I can get some playtime in today. I did go back and tried to collect all the star coins in the first world, but I couldn't find the last coin in the castle level. I agree with those who said there are too many power ups in the levels, which make it a very easy to pass them. I also wish there was a few more enemies scattered around the level, so I wouldn't be able to just run and jump through some levels in the game. This was definitely worth the wait and for those of you who don't have it yet, I'm freakin' pushing for you to get this game as soon as possible because it's well worth the money and time.

Now, to go back to playing, and seeing if I can really play as Luigi if I hold down the L and R buttons at the start....
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2006, 06:43:55 PM »
I just got New Super Mario Bros.

I'm only about halfway through World 3 (I'm not warping, and I'm trying to clear as many goals as I can in my first runthrough), and so far I've been quite impressed with what I've played.

Highly recommended.
~I.S.~

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2006, 09:28:38 PM »
Okay, I just got the game today. The game is graphicaly impressive, making the SM64DS seem somewhat inferior. The storyline and plot are the same thing, however: Mario and Peach are walking, bad things happen, Peach is captured, "Oh my, how could this have happened?!" Indeed, it is annoying, as well as the presence of Bowser Jr. Yet the new abilities Mario posseses, along with the new landscapes and powers lets the player forget all of that. (I love the blue shell Mario.) Multiplayer is fun, but nothing you couldn't have gotten playing SM64DS. Sound is cool, with Mario's classic "whoops and whahs" along with brand new tunes, which I find myself humming right now. Gameplay is limited to going through levels and kicking butt, but it's what you'd excpect from a "remake" of the old version. Overall, I love it.

Gameplay: 7/10
Plot: 2/10
Graphics: 10/10
Multiplayer: 7/10
Sound: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

"This review brought to you by PaperLuigi and Co. When you reach a rock hard game, the paper is sure to cover it."
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2006, 09:39:44 PM »
Ok, I've gotten a tri-star file already...

Overall, though, I'd still have to say that I quite liked the game. Although I was quite a bit disappointed with the method for finding the "secret" route to World 4 from World 2 (I had to look it up on GameFAQs) -- I figure in a game like this the people could've made something a lot more original and clever for finding the secret worlds.

I must say, though, the castle theme for this game is my second favorite Mario music ever, behind the castle theme from YI.
~I.S.~

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2006, 02:51:48 AM »
I've got 2 stars. I'm almost done getting every Star Coin from world 5. The game is solid gold.
I figured out worlds 4 & 7 on my own, and I won't spoil it. It's not tough to figure out, but pretty tough to actually do--and pretty aggravating just to meet the requirement to be able to do it. I bet I sound stupid and as if I haven't actually done it, so I'll leave it in invisible text (DON'T highlight if you don't want to find out yourself): You have to beat the castle of world 2 as Mini Mario to get to world 4, and the same in world 5 to get to world 7.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 03:02:19 AM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2006, 02:54:53 AM »
I can still see it... it's the wrong text colour.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2006, 03:03:12 AM »
Shoot. I did the post preview to check but I guess the preview only appears in the lighter background.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2006, 08:29:13 AM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:21:44 AM by DekuSamurai »

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2006, 05:26:49 PM »
>I don't even know what the game over screen looks like.  Since the N64 broke out onto store shelves, Nintendo's games have been steadily decreasing in difficulty... and replay value.  With NSMB, I was expecting it to be harder, like the original Super Mario Bros, but I was horribly mistaken.

It probably is easier than some previous Mario games, but the fact that you're better at playing Mario games now than you used to be probably has a lot to do with your perception of its easiness. When I play SMB3 now, I rack up large amounts of 1-ups and never get a Game Over. Also, I'm not sure if Yoshi's Island was released before or after the N64 was, but I never got a Game Over in that game except on purpose (to see what the Game Over screen looked like).
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2006, 07:04:08 PM »
I don't think that NSMB was particularly easy course-wise, but it was incredibly easy to get 1-up mushrooms. Incredibly.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2006, 10:01:37 PM »
Yeah, I can tell you that the max amount of lives you can get is 99, and I've never seen the Game Over screen. But it is a challenge. First to complete the game, then to find and complete all the levels, then to get every Star Coin. I'm still not done.
solidmushroom, you fool. It's not Baby Bowser, it's Bowser Jr. Who is becoming a less stupid character slowly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 10:06:43 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2006, 12:04:57 AM »
Bowser Jr. is POINTLESS though.  The Koopalings could have filled his role SO much better.  They've got much more interesting personality, and it would have been nice to not fight the same boss OVER and OVER again.  Nothing will make me not hate Bowser Jr. (unless he finally learns to share the spotlight with the Koopalings). 
Haters gonna hate

Print