Lukewarm
0 (0%)
Not very good
3 (5.4%)
sucked, no doubt about it
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: Do you like the new SMB?  (Read 24792 times)

« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2006, 12:41:47 AM »
I love this game! My friend has it and lets me play it, but I really need to get this game for myself, it's so retro, so fun!
It's the best!
Hey, wazzap? It's the Phred-guy! Isn't that nifty?

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2006, 12:55:40 PM »
It truly is a great game. This is the way all Mario games should be. Notice how there hasn't been that many good adventure games these past few years, just a bunch of spin-off titles.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2006, 01:34:26 PM »
One other thing I didn't really like (although some people may find it cool, hard to say) is that, if you listen closely to the music, everytime the choral "wa" sound effect plays, some of the enemies will "react" in time with this sound. For example, the Goombas will jump slightly and the Koopa Troopas will stop and jerk to the side for a split second. The reason I personally do not like this is because there's been several instances where I'd be timing a landing and that sound would play and alter the enemy's walking pattern enough for me to plow right into it, and it seems like a strangely arbitrary thing to add into the game.
~I.S.~

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2006, 01:42:42 PM »
Also, Spinys change direction, Blockhoppers jump, and Cheep Cheeps spin (the twinkle noise).

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2006, 01:48:10 PM »
Bowser Jr. is POINTLESS though.  The Koopalings could have filled his role SO much better.  They've got much more interesting personality, and it would have been nice to not fight the same boss OVER and OVER again.  Nothing will make me not hate Bowser Jr. (unless he finally learns to share the spotlight with the Koopalings). 

Ditto. Bowser Jr. is terrible.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2006, 02:49:46 PM »
unless he finally learns to share the spotlight with the Koopalings

You mean unless Nintendo finally realizes which character has the most potential.

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2006, 04:22:26 PM »
I liked the game a lot.  But it was way too short and way too easy.  But I do like the replay value.  It was cool collecting those coins and all.  I still haven't unlocked the two hidden worlds though...

I also like the new items: the koopa shell, the giant mushroom, and the mini mushroom.  I haven't really tried multiplayer yet. 

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2006, 01:02:43 AM »
Bowser Jr. is POINTLESS though.  The Koopalings could have filled his role SO much better.  They've got much more interesting personality, and it would have been nice to not fight the same boss OVER and OVER again.  Nothing will make me not hate Bowser Jr. (unless he finally learns to share the spotlight with the Koopalings). 

Bowser Junior is a thrice redundant character.  He is redundant as a miniature version of Bowser, because we already had Baby Bowser.  He is redundant as a child of Bowser, because we already had the Koopalings.  His alter ego Shadow Mario is redundant as an evil version of Mario, because we already had Wario.  That's why I hate the character Bowser Junior.  Nintendo seems to think we like him, though, since they keep putting him in Mario games.  Rumor is he's going to be a playable character in Brawl... ug...

Anywise, I just finsihed NSMB (I think) and it was good but not great.  There were only a handful of levels that really impressed me.  The game was much too easy.  I never got a game over once, and I have close to 70 lives on my file.  Lives were basically meaningless in this game.  When lives are meaningless, 1-ups are meaningless.  When 1-ups are meaningless, coins are meaningless.  When coins are meaningless, 90% of the game is meaningless. I still tried to collect coins, of course, but only for the sake of collecting them.  I miss the days of Super Mario Brothers 3 when coins and 1-ups actually mattered.  The bosses were laughable, and Bowser Junior made the game orders of magnitude less enjoyable by his very presence.

My other main complaint, besides the difficulty, was that the new elements in the game seemed under-utilized.  The blue shell, for example, was a very cool idea, but I had very few reasons to actually use it.  One of the first things I noticed when I used the miniature mushroom was that I could bounce off enemies without killing them.  The game never really made any use of that mechanic.  The miniature mushroom was used a lot, but only to make Mario small (and in a few cases, to allow him to run across water).  They could have done a lot more with the miniature mushroom and the blue shell.

I have to give credit where it is due, though.  I loved the music, and to my own surprise I loved the graphics.  A few levels really did impress me (2-6, for example).

It was a fine game.  I don't regret buying it.  But, it pales in comparison to Super Mario Brothers 3.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2006, 01:28:40 AM »
Rumor is he's going to be a playable character in Brawl... ug...
Might I remind you that rumors said (and still say) that Luigi is in SM64? Most rumors are stupid and wrong. Rumors suck.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2006, 01:58:19 AM »
I've had the game awhile, so I've decided:  Yes, I like NSMB.  At the same time, it's a little disappointing because it only looks new; it doesn't quite feel new.  To compare it with other games in the main line seems a little lopsided.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2006, 05:38:30 PM »
I loved it!Hey sorry to spoil it but to get to Level 4 Beat Level 2 as Mini Mario(Ground pound to stomp)and 4-Cannon or Mini Mario Level 5 to get to Level 7.(Almost imposable)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:32:46 PM by coolkid »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2006, 12:36:24 AM »
I love the game to death, but one thing that bothered me about it was the fact that the game feels... small and cramped, somehow.   I don't know if it was the number of levels or the design of the world maps, but it just doesn't feel as huge and epic as SMB3, World or 64.  Oh well, hopefully they fix that for New Super Mario Bros. 2. :)
Haters gonna hate

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2006, 05:18:20 AM »
It may just seem like that because of the way the worlds are presented. Or that it's on a DS instead of a console.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2006, 09:27:10 AM »
I bought the game yesterday, and I looooove it!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2006, 10:12:29 PM »
I voted not very good. I liked the game, but it lacked what made the original SMB so special, I can't really say what it was though....

Print