Print

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 17588 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:38:14 PM »
There should be a topic for this by now I think.

Quotes from the roundtable:

"We made the map easier to read so it's much harder to get lost. One of our objectives was to bring the core gameplay back and not have all the focus on the amount of dungeons or what the story is."

"Last year we showed a single piece of art. Back then, the story was pretty much complete. We just didn't have much in the way of anything visual to show. For the most part, we're in the final stretch. We still have some dungeons to create, but the gameplay is solid. We're just not confident that we can get the final pieces in for this year. So that's why we revealed a 2011 release."

"How many people remember the scene where Link dives off the cliff in the trailer? That's a very important point for the storyline. This time around, Link is born and raised in a land called Sky Loft, a land floating above the clouds. It may sound unique for someone to live on a floating land, but Link finds it ordinary. A land beneath the clouds is discovered, it's ruled by evil forces, but Link is forced to go there. Link has to travel between the two lands in this adventure. The Skyward Sword is his driving force behind his traveling between lands. That mysterious figure in last year's art is the Skyward Sword. People suspected this to be the Master Sword…but spoiler alert, the Skyward Sword becomes the Master Sword."

The HUD won't be as screen-dominating in the final version, and you can turn it off.

It will have orchestrated music (We couldn't very well do orchestrated music for Galaxy 1 and 2 and then not do it for Zelda, Miyamoto says).

Game continues in realtime while you're drinking potions.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:41:55 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
not have all the focus on the amount of dungeons or what the story is.

Okay... well, maybe it's for the best.

"Last year we showed a single piece of art. Back then, the story was pretty much complete. We just didn't have much in the way of anything visual to show. For the most part, we're in the final stretch. We still have some dungeons to create, but the gameplay is solid. We're just not confident that we can get the final pieces in for this year. So that's why we revealed a 2011 release."
Yeah, I'm a little let down by... well, looking at that teaser art, I was picturing a badass TP-esque style. Then again, I guess the two would look too similar that way (ala SMG2).

"How many people remember the scene where Link dives off the cliff in the trailer? That's a very important point for the storyline. This time around, Link is born and raised in a land called Sky Loft, a land floating above the clouds. It may sound unique for someone to live on a floating land, but Link finds it ordinary. A land beneath the clouds is discovered, it's ruled by evil forces, but Link is forced to go there. Link has to travel between the two lands in this adventure. The Skyward Sword is his driving force behind his traveling between lands. That mysterious figure in last year's art is the Skyward Sword. People suspected this to be the Master Sword…but spoiler alert, the Skyward Sword becomes the Master Sword."
Well... okay, the sky city thing's a little old, and that's probably the most extreme interpretation of Link's backstory that I've ever seen, but hey, that's cool.

…And I'm typing this in a separate document for ease of modification, and I just saw the spoiler. [darnit].

The HUD won't be as screen-dominating in the final version, and you can turn it off.
Thank God. That Wii Remote was raping about a third of the screen.

It will have orchestrated music (We couldn't very well do orchestrated music for Galaxy 1 and 2 and then not do it for Zelda, Miyamoto says).
YES.

Game continues in realtime while you're drinking potions.
That's pretty trivial compared to the last stuff, but... okay. Sure.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
It's not really trivial though when you think about it. You always got a second to "instantly" refill your health in other Zelda games. Here you might bite the dust anyway.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »
Well, I guess what I mean is they were like "plot information, orchestrated music... oh, and no time-stopping while drinking."

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
My thoughts on this game are: it looks terribly gimmicky and the controls during the onstage demo were hilariously bad. I'm not upset that I'll be missing out on this one.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
I didn't watch the demo video, so maybe I should keep it that way for my own optimism's sake. Still, it's a demo, people.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »
bobman must be watching some other game because this one looks fine.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 02:11:50 PM »
Shiggy had problems controlling it before the "interference" even started.  It was so bad at one point that I thought he was a terrible gamer or faking it.  I haven't heard any people on the floor report any such problems. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »
Was there real interference? I thought he was just mocking Steve Jobs.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
"Skyward Sword" is obviously a phallic reference.

not have all the focus on the amount of dungeons or what the story is.

My favourite part of the Zelda series has always been roaming through Hyrule's expansive fields. Therefore, this sounds promising.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »
Images and art from the press site are now available here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/GoldMetalSonicE32010/TheLegendOfZeldaSkywardSwordWii#
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »
Yeah the control for the shield and sword look awful, before the so called "interference" started. I was face-palming the entire time. Not pointing the Wiimote but aiming some how anyway? What the hell does that mean? I just want to press buttons to attack and defend and point and shoot projectiles. I do like the new movement, with Link running and jumping, the coloring looks a lot more interesting than it did in Twilight Princess as well.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »
IGN: Would you like to say something on the record about how the Skyward Sword demonstration went at Tuesday's press conference? What went wrong, and how can it be improved when the game finally comes out?

Miyamoto: Actually, we don't need to polish up the game -- what we need to do is polish up the technology that we use for demonstrating it on stage. (laughs) Because that's what the problem was. In the game itself, the play control is very smooth and it's very easy to play. I think if you get the chance to play it yourself, you'll realize that what we experienced on stage was just a technical issue.

And then you can also play the E3 demo and see those little areas where the questions are, and the item menu, and then look forward to what we might reveal about what other items are in the game.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 06:00:59 PM »
My favourite part of the Zelda series has always been roaming through Hyrule's expansive fields.
Have you ever played an actual open-world game? I think your mind would be blown.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
I would have an easier time believing there was a logical thought process behind this if they hadn't said the exact same thing about Wind Waker and then made Twilight Princess.

Print