Print

Author Topic: GBA SP:An epic tale of joy and despair  (Read 7401 times)

« on: April 20, 2003, 12:35:58 AM »
April 17, 2003 -
I got my $193 tax return slip in the mail yesterday. As soon as I tore the envelope open I heard a distant cry... There was no mistaking that sound: It was a platinum GBA SP far off in the distance, waiting to be liberated from it's cardboard box..
Today I leave.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/20/2003 12:26:25 AM

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 12:52:19 AM »
April 17(later), 2003 -
Seems they're sold out all over the country and new shipments aren't expected to arrive until early may - one of Nintendo's little marketing tricks to build demand I guess... They're always so coy with their fans.
None the less, I will continue my search tomorrow undeterred.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/20/2003 12:24:57 AM

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 01:04:52 AM »
April 18, 2003
I received an anonymous tip today that K-Mart*shudder* had several GBA SPs still in stock..
Certain of my victory over whatever it is that's always out to make my life miserable, I stopped at the local Electronics Boutique and bought two games : Yoshi's Island ($30) and Warioland4 ($20), both titles of which were recommended to me by fellow friend and XLT playboy Jay Worth. After leaving the store, I made my way to K-Mart where, upon entering, I was rendered aghast : Humans with blue sweatpants and moustaches roamed freely and without shame.  Corpulent women with bleached hair and pink fanny packs bickered in the aisles. Off in the distance a pack of juggalos had managed to tear open a bag of Hershey's kisses and were pelting them at each other like savages. It was as if the store were some sort of wretched haven for the town's lowlifes and halfbreeds. I felt as if I were a prince amongst lepers. I finally managed to locate the GBA SPs without coming into direct contact with any of the noxious automated filth previously described and went to fetch the section attendant. It was at that instant that an indescribable horror dawned upon me. After acquiring the 2 games, my total allocated funds had been brought down to $107 and 25 cents. The state tax in New York is 7% and, as is well known, the new Gameboy model costs a teeth-gnashing $100.. That makes the purchase price around $107. "No problem" I thought to myself, "covered and then some".  Alas, for some reason unbeknownst to any mortal man I was informed that K-Mart had decided to sell their SPs at $110.  Was I hallucinating? Was it a mistake? Surely it was a mistake. Unfortunately I was allowed neither comfort nor console. How quickly I was brought to my knees.. After pleading with the manager for 10 minutes to no avail I retreated to the parking lot where I hurled a shopping cart through the windshield of a Toyota pickup truck.
Now I am home, typing out this pathetic and most grevious account in a vain attempt to reverse my waning faith in mankind and perhaps gain some sympathy...
Dear brothers, I implore you, help me to my feet.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/20/2003 12:32:39 AM

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 01:13:59 AM »
April 19, 2003
My mom made me mollasses cookies today and I managed to squeeze $7 out of my little brother's piggy bank so my morale is back up.
Tonight I return to that squallid den of iniquity... defeat is not an option.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 01:16:55 AM »
April 19(later), 2003
CERTAIN of my sucess today, I strolled in around 5:00 with a pair of sun glasses and a confident smile.
"I'm sorry, we just sold out 5 minutes ago".  > _ < !!!
I was beside myself.
Someone is going to pay. If I don't have one by monday night, you're going to hear my name on the news.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/20/2003 12:43:20 AM

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 02:05:00 AM »
I'm new by the way, sorry for not introducing myself earlier.  My name is Gabriel Klau.  I'm 19 years old and live in a rural part of western New York.  I own a Gamecube and soon, if God has mercy, a GBA.

Favorite Nintendo games :
- Zelda: Wind Waker(Gamecube)
- Pikmin(Gamecube)
- Mario 64(Nintendo 64)
- Secret of Mana(SNES)
- Donkey Kong Country(SNES)
- Tactics Ogre(GBA)
- Metroid II(GB)
- Donkey Kong '94(GB)
- Final Fantasy Adventure(GB)
- Final Fantasy Legend III(GB)
- Mario 3(NES)
- Mario 2(NES)
- River City Ransom(NES)

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 10:41:09 AM »
 Hey, welcome to the boards. I'm glad to see another person joining.

From reading the title of your topic and the first 'entry,' I guess you could say, I knew what was going to happen. Life is cruel, eh? However, couldn't you have reserved one, via "Lay-away" or something upon your first visit? Or does K-Mart not have something like that? Either way, I'm sorry that you didn't get your GBA SP, but hey, good luck.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 04:15:55 PM »
"However, couldn't you have reserved one, via 'Lay-away' or something upon your first
visit?"

Please, don't add insult to injury.
Help me take my mind off of it..  What are some of your favorite games?  Is that okay to discuss here?  I'm running on an ancient machine and it takes forever to navigate the message board.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 06:46:52 PM »
Eh-heh, salt to the wounds, eh? Sorry about that, it wasn't intended.

While, this shouldn't be in "Mario Chat," but in "General Chat," you being new, it shouldn't cause much of a problem.

As for discussing other things, I'm sure it'd be alright if you did it in here, however, I think creating another topic, in the appropriate forum, would serve better to take your mind off of things.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2003, 06:50:27 PM »
That, and everyone posts non-Mario things here anyways (*cough Animal Crossing cough*) so it's no big deal. Really.

And welcome to the boards. I like the way you set up your.... "journal" thus far. It's kind of funny. In a cruel way. Sorry if that offended you.... but that was how I received it.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2003, 09:22:13 PM »
Umm... hey. Welcome to the board.
I hope you get your GBA SP.
Interesting story, but did you really smash someone's windshield?

Steve, Animal Crossing IS Mario-related, to a degree.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2003, 10:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'll make sure to post future non Mario-specific threads in the appropriate sections.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 12:39:20 AM »
I welcome you also. Wow! There's 1995 users now! There were only 1964 when I joined less than a month ago. Well, I certainly hope you get your GBA SP soon. Don't worry; you'll get it eventually. I wish you luck...and patience.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2003, 09:39:42 AM »
Hello, hello, hello. (No welcome is complete without CharginChuck, then again, maybe not) :-)

Hope you get your GBA SP.  And get SMA 2 or 3, while you're at it!
 n/a

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2003, 09:39:47 AM »
Hello, hello, hello. (No welcome is complete without CharginChuck, then again, maybe not) :-)

Hope you get your GBA SP.  And get SMA 2 and/or 3, while you're at it!
 n/a

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2003, 09:58:16 PM »
April 21, 2003 Final Entry -
After a long and painful struggle I was finally able to acquire a ravishing platinum SP today. I had to sever the spinal cord of a small child to get it into my hands but boy was it was worth it.. As soon as I got home I went into my room, popped Mario Advance 3 in and turned off the lights.
Beauuuuty.
I watched the opening sequence, marveled at the panorama of Yoshi's island and then turned it off. I'm going to save it for bedtime. Man, "Lights out" wouldn't have meant **** to me if I had one of these babies when I was little.

Anyway.  My restless spirit has finally found solace.  I think I'm going to start sending love letters to Shigeru Miyamoto.  

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2003, 10:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes by the way.

Four questions for my new fungus friends :

1. Is there a GBA version of Tetris available?

2. Is Mario Kart Advance still worth getting even if you don't expect to ever play it multiplayer?

3. Does anyone know of a reputable book or movie available on the history/maintenance of Nintendo or any of it's franchises?

4. Is it possible to buy(order) the Pikmin plush dolls anywhere other than eBay?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2003, 10:27:34 PM »
I'm glad you're finally at peace. :)
Now I wish I had one. I like the original GBA design better, but I sure could use that backlighting.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2003, 12:08:40 AM »
1. I'm not sure. Check Nintendo's game list.

2. Mario Kart Super Circuit is indeed worth getting, even for one player. One of the most fun GBA games I have.

3. I don't.

4. There are Pikmin dolls?!

Sapphira, I believe it's frontlit, not backlit.
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2003, 12:15:21 AM »
Same difference. Anyway, Super Circuit is, in my opinion, the best Mario Kart game ever. Actually, I've never played in on multiplayer, and I LOVE it.

***SPOILER***
It also has all the levels from the original SMK.

--------------------

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2003, 09:04:50 PM »
I personally liked Mario Kart 64 the best. Don't ask why, but...

Ah yes, SMA3, the PERFECT game to try the GBA SP with. Especially a level like 6-4, in that one dark part... it is literally impossible to see anything not in that spotlight in the "maze" part.

And I LOVE the way you did this "journal". Kind of like my writing style (Which I have yet to truly reveal to the forums).... kind of.

~I.S.~

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2003, 11:13:40 PM »
Well, playing in the dark is a dream come true.. The only negative is that the light gives the screen a purplish tint. Really nothing though, hardly noticeable.
More irritating are the wrist cramps the L and R buttons provoke. I have to stop playing every 15 minutes or so to flap my hands and get the blood flowing properly again.  Maybe I'm just "too big".. It's not the only time that's posed a problem.
teeheehee!
Anyway, I did a proper search and found out that there is indeed a GBA Tetris title by the name of "Tetris Worlds".  Unfortunately it's garnered nothing but hate and despise.  Seems it's one of those games where the developers decided to deviate from the norm and be 'creative'(i.e. make an idiotic change to gameplay and ruin something fundamental).  Quite a shame. Does anyone know anything about a planned variation or sequel?  I long to hear the dance of the sugar plum fairy in nickels and dimes.
Thanks for all the feedback on Mario Kart Super Circuit, I'll make sure to pick it up right after I get the headphone adapter.
The SP is so adorable...  I set it by my bed and watch it charge while I sleep.  Any suggestions on what I should use to clean the screen?  Is it as vulnerable as the original GBA?  I feel like a new parent.

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/22/2003 10:17:46 PM

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2003, 03:05:34 PM »
For having close to 2000 members this board sure is dead..

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2003, 08:11:23 PM »
Yes, it's truly sad. I think of all those 1997+ people, I come here the most. Although my post number is less since others have been here much longer than me, while I've only been here for not quite a month.

Gah! I wish more people posted and more often, too!

--------------------

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2003, 01:52:12 AM »
How do you know how many messages you've posted?  Where are my cleaning tips?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2003, 05:57:56 AM »
Click on the little Mario icon at the top of each person's message. Sweet! I've almost got 500!

About the cleaning advice, sorry, I have no idea, since I don't have the SP version. I don't clean my systems very often, but I use a cleaning kit (from Nintendo).

--------------------

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2003, 09:57:20 AM »
Yay, 23.  Seriously, where is everyone?  Why aren't they flocking to my thread?  What's with all the bad grammar?  What's your name from?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2003, 12:56:27 PM »
 Having approximately 2000 members doesn't mean that all of them are still around. This boards has been online for quite some time, and I'd bet we don't have more than 50 who still visit. And even some who do visit, aren't all that active, myself included.

As for why they aren't flocking to your thread, it's for the very same reason, I'd assume.

Bad grammar, you'll get used to it. Seriously.

And, I can't help with your last question.

Edited by - Black Mage on 4/24/2003 11:57:42 AM

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2003, 05:13:10 PM »
So where's the hot spot for the latest gab on all things Nintendo?  Preferably someplace where the predominant user age is 17+..  I can't believe some of trite jabber that passes for conversation 'round these parts.  And the bickering?  Oh dear.  I need more stimulation!  More substance!  Black Mage, you're an adventurer like me... I sense it in you.  Together we should depart from this barren place in search of Mario message board paradise.  I know it's out there somewhere..

Edited by - Cabbog on 4/24/2003 4:15:21 PM

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2003, 06:07:12 PM »
Bad grammar? *MY* grammar isn't bad. Others' however... *shudders*

Anyway, this is the best Mario forum I've been able to find. Others are just plain filthy and flame-filled. This one can actually be enlightening...sometimes...occasionally...

--------------------

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2003, 01:24:59 AM »
Enlighten me!  Entertain me!  Tell me what your favorite title is and why..  Do you consider videogames an emerging artform?  What's your favorite Nintendo series?  Would you ever wear a pair of white tights and a green nightcap?  

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2003, 07:24:17 AM »
 My favourite video game series of all time is definately Breath of Fire. When I found out that Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is only for PS2, I cursed at my PC, with tears in my eyes. See how much I love video games, now? As for the green hat ... last Halloween, I dressed up as Skull Kid (Zelda's laughing Majoras Mask baddy) and ran down dark alleys, shrieking random comments for no apparent reason. Heh, I sure am strange!

All Jaffa Cake haters must be exterminated immediately.
"Blue, start over. Yellow is caution. Red is danger."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2003, 10:52:14 AM »
Whoa, whoa! Too many questions at once!

Paper Mario is my favorite game. It put the classic plot, with a twist, and there wasn't a moment where you couldn't forget the storyline. This, of the many Mario games, actually HAD a very distinct plot. SMRPG and SMS were the other exceptions.

VG's as an art form? Sure! Especially since I love both. Designing the backgrounds, levels, sprite/characters, and the music and acting are DEFINITELY a form of art.

Fave Nintendo series? MARIO, of course. :)
DK's my second fave, so far. I still need to play LoZ games. :(

Uhh...as for that Link costume, no, never. I might dress up as another character for like Holloween or a costume party or something. Heheh...Overalls and a red shirt I'd wear normally, at least since girls can wear overalls and not look hill-billy-ish. :)

--------------------

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2003, 06:02:06 PM »
Amuse you eh? Well...

My personal shrine to Mario happens to me one of those McDonald's Mario jumping things that doesn't work because one of my friends cracked the base, and 2 pyramid-shpaed things that have nothing to do with Mario. One came from Las Vegas when my grandparents went there on vacation, and the other I got from my geometry teacher because he had about 20 of them and I thought the one on his desk looked cool. It has a calendar from 2002 on it! Heh heh heh.

Best shrine ever.

~I.S.~

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2003, 10:10:17 PM »
Now that's slapstick.

Is there any way to post pictures on this board?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2003, 10:14:56 PM »
Slapstick. I think that's the first time I've EVER been called that. That term has an air of superficiality to it. I am not superficial. In fact, I detest being referred to as a shallow person. It makes me seems too much li----

Oh dear, there I go again. It's late here. Don't mind me; I make irrational comments when I am tired. Anyways...

There is a certain HTML loophole here; that is, you aren't SUPPOSED to be able to post pictures here, but... some members here can. It's kind of pointless if you ask me, though.

PS: That "shrine" is actually a real thing. I didn't make that up.

~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2003, 07:53:04 PM »
Heh, yes, there certainly is a way to post pictures here. Post the URL to the picture you want to post and I can edit it for you and post the image.
That was a joke.

Print