Print

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns out now in North America  (Read 14602 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:28:25 PM »
But you'll also never hear "REMEMBUH ME!?"
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I guess there's a forum somewhere that uses that line (and the corresponding picture) in connection with remembering your login information.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 11:50:54 PM »
I'd have to say Returns blows NSMB Wii out of the water by a good lightyear.

When they announced NSMB Wii, I was hoping it'd turn out to be something like DKCR, but I had to wait for Returns to come out to actually get exactly what type of experience I was after. That being: action-packed levels, gorgeous visuals, scenery continuity (I'll explain that if you want), actual camera-work, about 4 trillion unique ideas, great music, nostalgia by the ton, and hard as all hell. It's almost controller-breaking/throwing hard. DKCR is well worthy of its version of the Super Guide because if you suck, you'll most definitely need it. Going back to action-packed levels, in NSMB Wii, there might be 1 or 2 levels I like in an entire world... maaaaybe 3, but there's approximately 0 levels in DKCR that I don't like. It never drags.

lol @ Miyamoto or whoever saying online multiplayer for NSMB Wii wouldn't be possible because the game was pushing the Wii to its absolute technical limits. I mean, yeah, it does have a crap-ton of levels, but visually, I'm not seeing where it's just taxing the system so much the thing starts smoking. DKCR, I feel confident in saying, is [darn] near the Mario Galaxy of side-scrollers, visually. There's a lot of depth and vividness, an incredible amount of detail, and the island feels very alive. The pre-rendered stuff is equally amazing.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Does the Super Guide in DKCR work similarly to the SG in New SMBW?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »
Here's an abridged summary of how the Super Guide work in all new Nintendo games: Die enough, and something will show up to let you wuss out on the level.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »
Does the Super Guide in DKCR work similarly to the SG in New SMBW?

All I know is that a white DK called "Super Kong" plays through the level normally and reveals no secrets. You don't get get to keep any bananas or anything obtained. Also, I'm not sure if you can pause and take over or what.

I never used it, so yeah, I'm just going off an IGN article.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:11 PM »
So it's not Cranky?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
So it's not Cranky?

...a white DK called "Super Kong" plays through the level...

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
Could be Cranky in disguise.  Or past Cranky traveling to the future.  Or future Cyborg Cranky traveling to the past.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
So it's not Cranky?
...a white DK called "Super Kong" plays through the level...
It was a rhetorical question. I was lamenting the huge opportunity that Retro missed to be... retro. Cranky was always going on about how he could do the levels ten times better than Donkey. Imagine how perfect it would have been if after you died twenty times or whatever on a level, Cranky butts in and says "Here, let me do that, you stupid oaf." Funny, fitting, wouldn't require making up another Kong (as metaphysical as his existence may be), and would make the purists not hate the Super Guide so much.

Anyway, I seriously need to start actually playing this game so I can stop complaining about it so much.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
You're right, Cranky would've been awesome.

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 02:31:22 AM »
I am very much looking forward to this game when I (most likely) get it for Christmas.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »

It was a rhetorical question.

Nah, I gotcha.

Print