Print

Author Topic: Super Mario custom figures  (Read 15764 times)

« on: April 03, 2023, 01:20:24 PM »
Hello!

I have been doing customs for almost 15 years. I first started with Star Wars, then branched out to Super Mario. I figure this would be a great place to share my customs. Even though I have been doing this for a while, I'm still learning new techniques and there are others out there far talented than me. Hope you all enjoy!

Here is one I just recently finished and one of my favorites - Lou Albano as Mario. Lou was my favorite person to portray Mario. I just have to get the overalls altered because they look like JNCO jeans. In fact this was the first time I removed and sculped facial hair, so I'm extremely happy with how this one turned out. The mustache was sculpted with Milliput. The original figure I used was a WWE Lou Albano from Jakks Pacific.

Do The Mario!

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 01:21:23 PM »
Also wanted to throw a few more in here as well.

- The Bros. in their original colors
- Original Fire Mario
- Fire Luigi (or his regular/super form from SMB)
- SMB3 Fire Mario
- Hammer Mario

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 09:50:55 PM »
Looking good! Can the Lou Albano Mario swing his arms from side to side?

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 09:03:17 AM »
Looking good! Can the Lou Albano Mario swing his arms from side to side?

Thanks! He can for the most part. The only thing he can't do is that little split that Lou did at the end of the dance. The figure's legs aren't desgined with that articulation. The legs can just swivel and the knees can bend.

Here is a few more:
- Goomba's Shoe
- Mario Paint
- Mario in Mario Movie clothes 1993
- Yoshi from the SMB 1993 movie

For the Yoshi figure, I followed a Facebook page that was dedicated to the Mario Bros. movie from 1993. It looks like it is no longer up though. This was around Summer of 2021. Someone who used to work for ERTL (the company that made the Mario film figures) was able to produce Yoshi figures, so they are fairly official figures. I originally ordered a painted one, but the guy who was going to paint them backed out, so they sent me 2 unpainted figures. I painted one and kept the other sealed. The best part is the head and feet have articulation.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 09:04:50 AM by djcos25 »

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 04:39:00 AM »
Holy heck, these are incredible. 😮 I will have to come back later to fully digest.  I like the Jnco look and wouldn't change a thing.

That Yoshi figure sounds extremely rare (and looks cool, too).
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 05:30:50 PM »
Holy heck, these are incredible. 😮 I will have to come back later to fully digest.  I like the Jnco look and wouldn't change a thing.

That Yoshi figure sounds extremely rare (and looks cool, too).

Thank you! This was the first time I attempted painting a reptile, pretty happy with it.  It's a shame the FB page isn't up anymore. I hope the people who ordered them got theirs shipped.

Here is one I did at the start of the year. I turned a Fire Bro into an Ice Bro.  There is an Ice Bro in 2.5" scale but not 4" scale. The other custom I just finished yesterday, which is Fire Peach.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 09:42:12 PM »
That's so cool.

Even with my limited painting experience, I do know it takes serious skills to achieve such smooth finishes.  If you hadn't said anything, I would have assumed they were originals.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 09:10:14 AM »
Thank you, appreciate it! I was always into art as a kid, so its nice to expand on that hobby here.

I'm running out of ideas for customs lately, but do have one planned. The next wave of 4" figures includes Builder Luigi. I plan to get an extra and paint him in the colors from the 1986 anime film.

Here are a few more.

- Koopa Clown Car
- Cape Mario
- Wing Cap Mario
- Shadow Mario
- Powerups (classic Fire Flower, Propeller Mushroom, Gold Flower, Red POW Block)

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 01:31:21 AM »
Colour me impressed
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 04:47:12 PM »
I decided to make Flying Mario from Super Mario Galaxy. While not a favorite powerup at all, I figured I'd make it as I have a bunch of extra parts just laying around. I'm in the process of making a Flying Luigi as well.

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 10:05:17 PM »
How dare flying Mario not be a favorite power-up, and how dare you get such a slick finish.

After painting a figure, do you have to go easy on the joints (i.e. no more play time)?

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 08:23:03 PM »
How dare flying Mario not be a favorite power-up, and how dare you get such a slick finish.

After painting a figure, do you have to go easy on the joints (i.e. no more play time)?

Haha, I guess I prefer the old powerups like the Fire Flower or Super Leaf.

It depends on what you do. Posing them in different positions is fine, as long as you aren't too rough you should be good. Sometimes you may have to file down the joints where either the arms or legs bend to avoid paint rub, but it seems with these figures it's not necessary. There is also paint sealant you can use which will prevent the paint from chipping off.

For example, the customs I did of Flying Mario, original Fire Mario and Luigi (white overalls) I disassembled the figures by popping off the head, hands and legs. You can do this by placing them in front of a space heater for a few minutes. The plastic will become soft, making it easier to remove the parts. I masked off the arms/shirt and shoes and spray painted. I removed the tape and did touchups if the paint overlapped. The arms are free to move around. The overalls should be fine as they were spray painted. When moving the knees there isn't any paint rub.

With the customs of the Bros. in their original colors or SMB3 Fire Mario, I used a base figure where their overalls were already red or green. I did this as it's easier and less painting. I swapped the heads with ones where the hat was red or green so it matched the overalls. I just repainted the arms, and again no noticable paint rub.

Sure, a figure may look good when finished. The most important thing is prepping it and sealing it properly so it stays that way.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:25:58 PM by djcos25 »

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 10:05:53 AM »
Finished my Mario Sunshine custom last night.

I recently found some STL files for a Fludd model. For those that don't know, STL files are needed for 3D printing. I uploaded them to Shapeways and after 2 weeks, got it in the mail yesterday. I painted it, color-matching it as best I could. There was a little peg towards the bottom. I used my dremel and made a hole in Mario's back and plugged it in. The belt is from a Builder Mario figure. I shaved off the extra pouches and repainted the shaved areas. I also repainted his lower arms with a flesh color so it looks like he's wearing a short-sleeve shirt.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 12:30:28 PM »
Finished up Luigi with the Polturgust 3000 from Luigi's Mansion.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 06:53:29 PM »
The Fludd model I downloaded a few weeks ago also came with a Shine Sprite. In addition to Fludd, I wanted to have an item to go with Mario. A simple repaint with a goldish-yellow, black on the eyes and done.

Also, I recently picked up a 2.5" 8-bit Mario (modern colors) and customized him into Luigi (modern colors). The overalls, hat and shirt were repainted, and I used a toothpick for any touchups.

Print