Print

Author Topic: Alleged Revolution specs  (Read 7365 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: December 06, 2005, 06:46:36 PM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 07:04:03 PM »
*breathes with relief at the alleged thought of a release price lower than $200*
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:33:16 PM »
Source: Google.com

Nintendo Revolution Like a "Souped Up Xbox"?
Leo Chan - Tuesday, December 6th, 2005 | 10:40AM (PST)

As opposed to a souped up Xbox 360, or PS3

Since Nintendo is entertaining the notion of shying away from delivering full tech specs for their next-generation Revolution game console, IGN has spoken to developers currently exploring Revolution game development in hopes of discerning some possible info.  Current word from these developers point at the Revolution featuring a maximum of 128MB memory, and the article seems to suggest that this included the additional graphics memory used for textures and whatnot.  Any additional memory expansion will probably not be utilized for gaming.

""To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox," a major third party source revealed to us. "But it's the controller that makes the difference and the controller is really nice."

Asked if it was developing for Revolution, one major third party source said that it was well past the experimental stage and was evaluating what types of games might work on the platform. "We are looking at it quite differently. It's like another current generation platform for us. But it's such a nice controller that it opens up a lot of possibilities. It's very different and it's very precise.""

The article is quick to note that no actual final Revolution development kit is available yet, as developers are currently resorted to using modified "GameCube-based kits" to play with and draw their not-so-final conclusions.  In addition, developers and industry insiders were not able part with the exact details of the Revolution GPU itself.

For comparative purposes, the GameCube had 24MB of system memory, plus 16MB memory used for game textures.  Of course, IGN's article is wont to compare the Revolution memory to the Xbox 360's considerably meatier 512MB of system memory, though this is shared between the CPU and GPU.  In short, Nintendo doesn't seem to be kidding when they say that sheer graphics horsepower would not be their focus for the Revolution.

It appears the gameplay really is the thing for the Revolution.  If Nintendo celebrity/guru Shigeru Miyamoto is to be believed, there are more suprises in store for the console's controller as well.  Here's hoping Nintendo fans will be impressed once that particular secret is loose.

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 07:54:44 PM »
This isn't really news. It's been known for the longest time that the Revolution would not be as powerful as the other Next Gen systems.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:51:02 PM »
What's "more powerful supposed to mean, anyway? Graphics? How good do our graphics need to be, anyway?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 12:00:20 AM »
It would be nice to have some screenshots from other consoles, as well.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 12:12:11 AM »
But if XBOX's graphics were perfect as the idiots I mean XBOX fans claim they are, how are they improved?
But I'd be devestated if graphics got so good that they had to hire an actor to be Mario. Shouldn't be done.
I think Luigi's Mansion graphics were the best. They shouldn't get better than that. Except Luigi's running sequences. That could have been fixed.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 01:08:54 PM »
Actors in video games?  I thought we stopped doing that in the '90s.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 02:45:21 PM »
Those weren't video games at all. They were like a streak of red wine of a perfectly good dress.
Graphics weren't really the big N's thing anyway, it was all about the soul, and the gameplay.
Most Wishy-Washy

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 03:36:02 PM »
Excellent.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Yoshi55

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 03:32:30 PM »
Nintendo thinks the way I do: Gameplay>Graphics
He's back. All you had to do is ask. Super Mario Bros. 3 from Nintendo. Now you're playing with POWER! (SMB3 NES commercial)

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 03:51:03 PM »
gameplay>graphics, but gameplay+graphics>gameplay.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 11:15:18 PM »
However, in remakes, sometimes Graphics>Gameplay, becase if the Gameplay was different, then it wouldn't be a remake, right?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 11:20:54 PM by Luigi Simpson »
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »
The entire reason why the Revolution is much weaker than the 360 and PS3 is because it doesn't have high definition support. High definition obviously has a much, much higher resolution than standard definition, so requires exponentially more processing and video output power. For standard definition TVs, there's no doubt in my mind that the Revolution will match, or even in some cases exceed the graphical beauty of the 360 and PS3. Just look at some of the games out right now - On standard definition TVs, you can hardly tell the difference between Madden on 360 and Madden for XBox.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 08:22:04 PM »
   I have faith the revolution will be amazing.    Until I see it, I can't say more.
My short film sucks.

Print