Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Sunshine Bugs & Glitches  (Read 13323 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: December 02, 2002, 11:12:34 AM »
I just got SMS this weekend and have already found several bugs in it.

If you get a Sprite out of order, it will appear on the the map shine click screen with ??? over the column.  Although, on the game select (A, B, or C blocks) score screen it will not appear but will be included in the total.  I have got 40 Shines, there are only 39 showing on the score screen, but the total at the bottom is 40.

Also, you can get all the coins in Delfino Plaza twice.  After you get the Shine just get the coins again.  I currently have 212 yellow coins there, and that is without getting the birds and missing a few others.

There are several places you can jump through stuff like the boats at the park, etc.

Ojiisan Deezer, where is the SMS Bugs page?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 01:06:06 PM »
That's not a Sprite out of order, the ??? denotes secret Shines. There are two in each course.

You can get 999 coins in the plaza, but the opportunity presents itself much later in the game....

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 02:16:51 PM »
Thanks Deezer,

I just looked at the GameCube's intruction booklet and in the Memory Card Screens section they show the "Super Mario 64" title logo and the text "Super Mario Bros. WORLD 8-1" in the screen shot.

Was this done because they were being lazy, making a joke, or could they be planning on porting SM64 and/or SMB to the Cube?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 11:48:38 PM »
Meaningless filler material.
And I thought you were going to have real bugs, like the ones where Mario pops through stuff or the not quite standing on a surface one or one or two of the more prominent ones.

But what's really cool (and isn't a bug) is how the whole game is one level, and you can see all the other levels from other levels... but the one bug is, in Noki Bay, if you hover to the level's edge, and hold the jump button while in midair, you will stick on the wall and if you keep it like that long enough, Mario will think he's falling and start going WaAAaaaaAhhHHhhhhHH

Oh, and if you go to the far right part of the level, you will see that they forgot to give the island a Northwest side, and you can see under all the other levels and you can see Corona Mountain.
And yes, I have determined that the island is indeed one big structure, so don't try and tell me it's not. Thanks a lot.

Eeh hee hee hee hee!!! Not everything means what it seems... . . . Ooh Heh . . . Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 09:23:08 PM »
Oh, I've got one SMS bug:

Go to Pianta Village and grab a fruit off of the tree.  Then, head for one of the flip gates to the underside and stomp it.  Mario will flip to and grab onto the other side, still clutching the fruit with both arms.  When you move around, his legs dangle comically.

Try it out!

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 12:23:27 AM »
I'll have to go try that.

Oh, and I have another one:
While riding Yoshi, squirt some juice and while holding R, jump off. Yoshi will be stuck in the juice squirting position. As far as I can tell, any movement other than standing still will cause Yoshi to freeze in that position when you jump off. If you jump on again, he'll be fine...

Eeh hee hee hee hee!!! Not everything means what it seems... . . . Ooh Heh . . . Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 06:42:18 PM »
I heard in a magazine that in Gelato Beach, in the coral reef, there's a strange door. You can try everything you can think of, but you won't be able to get in. If you move the camera a bit, you'll see that there seems to be a book inside. I've seen a picture as well, but never personally saw the bug. Supposedly, you have to have all 120 Sprites for it to appear and saddly, I have yet to do that.

Sailor Saturn/Espeon: Sailor Saturneon.
Just be conscious and try again. And you cna count on it, you can count on it. Aah-haa!

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 09:19:26 PM »
Yes, the door and the book both exist, but you had the level wrong.  It's in Noki Bay, Shine #3, and the bottom of the red coin bottle.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2002, 11:08:24 PM »
Huh. I thought that was a joke. I bet there's some way to do it... and I bet that's what Shiggy was talking about when he said "something happens".

Anyway, I have a few more bugs...
Get Yoshi over a manhole. Pound, and right as you hear the manhole start to flip, jump off Yoshi. You will not fall through the tunnel, and the manhole will come crashing down on your head, not damaging you.

Also, if you have Yoshi squirt some juice and jump off, the juice will change to water on the ground. Also, if you spray some water and then jump on Yoshi, the water will turn to juice.

Also, I think it's rather odd that Yoshi can spray juice and stick his tongue out at the same time. Actually, I think it's rather odd that Yoshi can spin jump, flutter, spray juice, stick his tongue out and ground pound all at the same time...

That was a joke.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2002, 04:02:16 PM »
Well, Yoshi's a very versitile creature.  You can also spray others with juice while talking to them.  Fun fun.

As for the book, it's just there.  It doesn't appear at 120 shines, so I don't think it has to do directly with that.  But it still seems a bit too strange to just be decoration...

And a couple of small details that aren't really bugs (I just thought them interesting):
If you're riding Yoshi and want to do some Mario stuff (like swimming,) but don't want Yoshi to die, you can just leave him in front of some food and he'll eat when he gets hungry.
And those goomba equivilants (the short, big-nosed things with purple pants,) if you come across a group of them, flip several of them with FLUDD, and stomp one, all that are flipped will flatten.  And if you get three or more, it gives you an extra life.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2002, 11:42:28 PM »
Yes, those "Goomba-equivalent" things are called Kurin (according to NOJ's site), which I believe has something to do with Kuriboo, which is the Japanese name for a Goomba.

What you own is your own kingdom, what you do is your own glory.
What you love is your own power, what you live is your own story...
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2002, 03:33:54 PM »
Sorry for my presence, I am merely bumping all the relevant topics above these annoying pictures (Half of which don't work).

Don't mind me.

I don`t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2002, 10:27:40 PM »
Goo.
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2002, 12:07:45 AM »
I found a new bug. However, now I can't duplicate it. But it had to do with pounding the manhole at the beginning (probably works with all of them)... and then jumping back up out of the manhole but hovering before you get out of the tunnel so you just melt through the manhole cover. Possibly switching nozzles too. Anyway, once I did it, it acted like the manhole cover wasn't there and Mario would hang on the edge for a second and pull himself back up. And if you jumped in the middle of the cover you would fall through into the tunnel, however dust would puff out as if you landed on the ground. This happens as many times as you do it, and even if you pound the cover and act like it's normal. It stopped when I went to another level, though. I went to go see the book. Man, that's weird. It certainly is a detailed little book for being so dang hidden. I think there's a network of tunnels under that platform, because I actually saw a few.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2003, 04:58:25 AM »
How do you get the book? do you need to use turbo boost to knock the door down? Plus what happens when you get the book??? Maybe its a photo album of their holiday at isle delfino... maybe i'm just guessing...

Happy Haunting!!!!
Find your inner monkey.

Print