Print

Author Topic: Earthbound Beginnings  (Read 7602 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxjOnl_Xkjo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxjOnl_Xkjo</a>

As announced by Itoi himself right before the Nintendo World Championships, Mother 1 is available on the Wii U Virtual Console (not the 3DS one for some reason?) right now for $7.

While it has a new official name now, so far it doesn't look like anything was changed from the rom that's out there (not even the title screen). Still has the run button and everything.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_xJ_m8IHY" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_xJ_m8IHY</a>
it's rated 3 in Europe, but it's T in Eagleland.

(also, the Onett Times community ("Your official source for the latest EarthBound news and information") still just has that one intro post from two years ago, which makes one wonder what the point of having that community ever was)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:06:34 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:19:05 AM »
Should I play this before Earthbound? From what I understand, it's not necessary to play Mother first, but is there anything I'm missing?

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:54:27 AM »
The name change seems a bit silly since most EarthBound buyers will know its precursor's original title, but hey.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:02:06 AM »
EB0 is much like a college project and EB is much like the same thing with more money, more experience and better tech. Sure EB0's failings are a product of its time, but, that doesn't change the fact that the game is awful at conveying where to go or what to do or what most PSI does, or that the game is so horribly balanced (it's been said that Mt. Itoi was literally not playtested), or that it's incredibly rare for Lloyd or Ana to ever survive a battle. I'd recommend EB first, then M3, and then EB0... if you really want to.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »
Honestly, in my opinion, buy this. Don't play it, though. Get a rom and translation patch of Mother 1+2, and just play that instead. Tomato's translation and the inclusion of the Easy Ring makes it far superior.
EDIT: Also, this actually does seem to open up the possibility of Mother 3 getting an American release.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

CrossEyed7

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
It does annoy me a bit that they're charging $2 extra for it when it's literally just the localized rom that they had already completed over 20 years ago with a pretty barebones digital manual. When they did it for Earthbound, I figured maybe they needed to license the possibly copyright-infringing songs, but at this point I think it's just that they know Mother fans will pay it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
Get a rom and translation patch of Mother 1+2, and just play that instead. Tomato's translation and the inclusion of the Easy Ring makes it far superior.

Not even, there's this
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
Yeah, I'd be willing to agree it's been rendered a bit obsolete by latter-day translations and such, but there's still a bit of "at last!" validation to this.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »
So yeah. I mean I know why they didn't use that hack but couldn't they do something similar? Pretty much everybody who's interested in playing this knows about the problems that plague it, so why not recreate it with everything that was fixed in EarthBound? This may have been released sooner, but I'd bet all of the money I don't have that something like that would sell better.
Or at the very least retranslate it yourselves you guys know your edits were godawful back then. I mean yes it's good that we officially have Mother 1 now but that version is the worst one.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
That would be work to do, and somebody would complain about it, I'm sure. People have been saying "just release the translation you've already done!" for years, now they have, if you're gonna ask for more do not waste it on EB0, ask for Mother 3
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:54 PM »
So is Mother 3 going to be called Earthbound Endings now?

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 07:30:53 PM »
Earthbound Done
read jitsu wa watashi wa

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 07:37:09 PM »
The Earthbound Rises

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 08:52:34 PM »
The Earthbound Awakens
read jitsu wa watashi wa

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 09:28:52 PM »
...I think you may have missed the joke.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
Pokey Strikes Back

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 09:59:15 PM »
25-Year-Old Mother I'd Like to Play (MILP) Vol. 3
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 10:28:36 PM »
I'll come clean, I missed the joke.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »
Since playing all the games I think "EarthBound" does fit each game in the series better. In the first and second games there's the obvious point that there are aliens Bound for Earth, and in the second there's the whole deal with Ness visiting the sanctuaries (locations around the world) so that he can really extend his OP-ness--his powers are Bound to the Earth. In Mother 3 there is no obvious connection to the title "EarthBound" and no aliens, but, there is the dragon sleeping under the Nowhere Islands, presumably literally pinned down by the needles... so the dragon itself is Bound beneath the Earth.

So I know there's, like, emotion and other pretentious crap in the title "Mother" but we've got what we've got and it'd be cool to be able to start calling M3 EarthBound 2 without people being like "wuwhat"
It's YOUR problem!

Print