Print

Author Topic: In-Game Advertising  (Read 5316 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »
This is a big issue now, I'm reasonably sure. Basically, the argument goes like this: In-game advertising is bad because it leads to Coke machines in fantasy settings and cutscenes showing X popular character consuming X popular product. I personally think that's a load of crap. I feel like I'm reading about this in every game magazine I read (even the old issues!) I am totally for in-game advertising as long as it's realistic (i.e., none of the above examples). I don't turn off my PC in disgust because I see a Superbad poster in a movie theater in Rainbow Six: Vegas, or after seeing an Axe Bodyspray billboard in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, because it adds to the realism of the world. Fearing that in-game advertising will go too far and end up with Solid Snake listening to an iPod Nano is like saying that if we keep making cars with better gas mileage, the cars will eventually come to life and kill us all. It's just another example of nerds wanting to keep gaming an exclusive underground subculture, free from real-world influences.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:02:13 AM »
In-game advertising is bad because it leads to Coke machines in fantasy settings and cutscenes showing X popular character consuming X popular product.
I don't think game designers are that buyable.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »
I don't hate it because I'm afraid the Final Fantasy guys are gonna start wearing Nike clothes; I hate it because I'm sick and tired of corporations smothering us in ads. They tried to put the freakin' Pizza Hut logo on the moon in the 90s, for crying out loud.

Yeah, it's realistic in movies and games, but in real life, you don't get paid to have people see you use whatever it is with a logo on it (wait... oh, nevermind).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:37:04 PM »
I don't really care, I just kinda ignore 'em.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »
I thought Pikmin 2 made an exceptional use of advertising by "disguising" consumer products as some of the treasures you gather in the game. The Duracell battery, instance, is the first treasure you get.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:07:37 PM »
I thought Pikmin 2 made an exceptional use of advertising by "disguising" consumer products as some of the treasures you gather in the game. The Duracell battery, instance, is the first treasure you get.
I found those in-game advertisements funny because their presence made the Pikmin Planet look like a post-appocalyptic Earth where humans were extinct.  I feel a Mutant Rampage reference coming!  The year is ????. Things have changed!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »

Yes. I also thought Olimar's reaction to each treasure was pretty funny.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 05:28:46 PM »
It's a little weird having logos (ads) for all my other Wii games slapped onto Samus's gunship. Not really advertising if you already need to own the game to see the logo though.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 06:26:34 PM »
I think that when the game developers have an opportunity to put some kind of add in the game, they have an auction or something where all the (fatcat) owners of big company's bid millions of dollars for a spot. All I'm saying is that it's not strictly the fatcat's fault.
"it's always the present"

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 08:07:51 PM »
If they add advertisements they should pass some of the savings onto the consumer.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 12:09:13 AM »
That rarely happens, but in fact Ubisoft did just release FREE versions of:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Far Cry
Rayman Raving Rabbids

on Fileplanet but they have ads.

And EA just released the first C&C for free.

It's a good time for free games!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 05:21:29 AM »
It's a little weird having logos (ads) for all my other Wii games slapped onto Samus's gunship. Not really advertising if you already need to own the game to see the logo though.
Are there screenshots of this anywhere? I'd like to see it.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Sqrt2

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
I don't really pay much attention to in-game advertising. Or for that matter any advertising on TV or in films.
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 02:41:09 PM »
There should be some on TMK soon, Maxine.

:)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »
I still can't believe Nintendo did that.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print