Print

Author Topic: Mario & Luigi 3 is officially the highest rated handheld game ever made.  (Read 19300 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »
I dunno, didn't the argument originally occur because people thought I was implying I thought the game was amazing simply because of its high reviews.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:43:27 PM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:17 PM »
Well, since you hadn't played it at the time, the juxtaposition of the two statements is certainly suspect.

But hey, it's no substitute for actually playing the game, but aggregate reviews certainly can be a fairly accurate indicator of a game's quality.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
Really? Says who? I beat the game prior to making the thread. Where did I say I didn't play it?
= = = = = = =

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »
Oh, wait, you played it? It's just... you went straight from
When people were telling me it was the best in the series, I flat out denied the possibility and refused to bellieve it could be true.
to
But I was pleasantly wrong. Let us discuss how amazing the game is.

Since you never explicitly stated buying it, considering the thread's title, it made it sound like the only reason you considered it amazing was because of the new reviews.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
Well, he didn't.

The End.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »
Nice job quoting out of context, ShadowBrain. What the hell happened, did everyone on earth suddenly forget what the world "regardless" means?
= = = = = = =

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2009, 10:42:46 AM »
Still, it's funny you should mention continuity, because one of the things in the games that irked me was the pretty generous disregard for the Mushroom Kingdom's geography. What I mean is, let's look at all the Mario games that have taken place in the Mushroom Kingdom with an honest-to-goodness "map":

--SMRPG
--Paper Mario
--PiT
--BiS
Actually, I was quite fond of how accurate the PiT map was to the Paper Mario map, just done in SS style.

You've got the Mushroom Castle in the center with Toad Toad directly below it, a star-falling region behind the castle, some vegetation areas to the west, the dry/desert areas on the east, and the snow areas on the northeast.  But I don't think these maps are ever meant to be a comprehensive layout on the whole Mushroom Kingdom--they're more like outlines of the main areas you explore in each specific game.  Just because Thwomp Volcano doesn't appear on the BIS map doesn't mean it doesn't exist; it's just not a place you visit in that game.  Imagine if the developers put it in the map for the sake of making a comprehensive map--I think people would have been disappointed to discover that you actually don't visit that area.
On a side note, this may be a bit of fanonizing, but seeing as how Blubble Lake appears to be off the mainland of Mushroom Castle and around the area where Kero Sewers would be on the SMRPG map, I like to think that Blubble Lake is actually connected to or on the same mainland where Midus River and Tadpole Pond intertwine.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:44:17 AM by Fawful Fan »

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »
I always considered the maps completely separate from each other, and don't really bother comparing them.  For all we know, each game could feature a totally different part of the Mushroom Kingdom, with Peach briefly visiting each of her separate castles (?)
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
Another aspect that's always irked me about PiT: Unlike the vast majority of Mario RPGs, one can only traverse the map by means of underground pipes. Really, why couldn't the game's areas have been linked either directly or with transitional sections?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 07:03:28 PM »
Exactly, that's just another of numerous things that Paper Mario and Superstar Saga definitely did right, that PiT didn't. I'm pleased to see that it appears that BiS has a non-linear map as well, but I wouldn't know, as I've yet to actually buy it.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2009, 08:07:50 PM »
Some good points, there, Fawful Fan/jdaster64. And yeah, like I said, the whole pipes-connecting-everything thing in PiT was annoying.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »
Indeed, it just made the whole game feel like... instead of exploration and fun, it felt more like a point and click adventure in which you happen to control the character.
= = = = = = =

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2009, 04:22:27 PM »
Seemed more puzzler-esque than P&C to me.

Print