Print

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Games  (Read 5712 times)

« on: May 03, 2007, 09:49:42 PM »
Years ago I played a couple titles on N.E.S. and one on Sega Genesis that I can't remember the titles of.  I'd really love to learn what these were called and maybe find copies someday.  Any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Game 1 (for N.E.S.): All I remember is that the final boss was a giant eyeball hanging from a ceiling.  It dripped slime that became pillars.

Game 2 (for N.E.S.): You were a werewolf who for some reason had metal hooks for hands.

Game 3 (for Sega Genesis, released ca. 1994): You were a claymation-looking guy, and you had to light a candle to beat one of the early stages.

Do any of these descriptions ring a bell for anyone?
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:06:57 PM »
That last one for the Sega Genesis may be Vector-man, considering you said you were playing as "claymation-looking guy". If you meant the character looked 3-D, then it was probably Vector-man, considering it used Pre-rendered graphics to give the illusion of 3-D. Maybe. That's the first thing that poped into my head.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 12:21:38 AM »
Game 2 is Werewolf: The Last Warrior

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 11:23:30 AM »
Game 1 certainly rings a bell, but I can't put my finger on it. Game 3 might be either Vectorman or any of the other several Genesis titles that had claymation-ish characters. Other than that, I can't help.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
I think the last one might actually be Claymates.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 02:38:05 AM »
Thanks, Megabyte.  I looked that title up on Moby games and that's definitely it.

Game 3 wasn't "Vectorman" or "Claymates."  It was a very cartoonish platform game.  The graphics were reminiscent of "Donkey Kong Country," and the main character looked like he might be related to Gumby.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 02:39:38 AM by Mega 2 »
Mega 2

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 07:33:20 AM »
Earthworm Jim? Nah.

Maybe it was Jazz Jackrabbit or something.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Could be Boogerman, but I really hope it isn't.

Gumby, ye say? Well, I remember having a game for my Genesis very similar to the one you described; I'll go digging through my collection and see.
every

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »
Wait, could game 3 be Puggsy, perchance?
Go Moon!

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 06:21:19 PM »
"Puggsy!"  That name sounded right as soon as I read it, and now I've done some research and found out that that's the same game for sure.  The screenshots on MobyGames threw me off because the graphics looked very different from how I remembered (probably because we're talking about a game I played one time when I was 11), but then I looked up a walkthrough on GameF.A.Q.s and found the part about the candle.  Thank you, Fifth!

Now we just need to figure out the one with the eyeball boss.  I think it was a difficult platform game with frantic autoscrolling and living bug-platforms, but my memory could be playing tricks on me again.
Mega 2

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 06:36:25 PM »
Game One sounds really similar to Kid Icarus, except for the fight with Medusa: it takes place with Medusa at the right of the screen, shooting snakes at you from her eyeball.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 02:09:28 AM »
It wasn't "Kid Icarus."  Unfortunately I've never played that legendary game.
Mega 2

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 09:51:07 AM »
Contra, perhaps? No...maybe BattleToads?
every

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 09:59:36 PM »
Maybe it was Jazz Jackrabbit or something.

I don't think Jazz Jackrabbit was ever ported to Genesis...

Claymation could be Clayfighter...  I don't know very many games where you light candles to beat stages, besides LoZ.
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 03:40:42 PM »
I thought Jazz Jackrabbit was best known on the Genesis.

Print